Arrow artwork from The Wind Waker
|Game(s)||Every game except The Adventure of Link and the Oracle series|
|Use(s)||Ammunition for the Bow|
|Comparable Item(s)||Slingshot Pellets|
The main function of Arrows is piercing objects and enemies from afar. Arrows are a replenishable item, so the Bow will not function without them. The amount of Arrows Link can hold can usually be increased by upgrading the Quiver. They can be bought at various Shops, from Business Scrubs, or freely gathered by cutting grass, defeating enemies, or in small Treasure Chests scattered around the overworld and Dungeons.
Arrows are often the only object able to activate switches within Dungeons and across the overworld. In Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Breath of the Wild normal Arrows can be set on fire with a torch or other flame source to melt ice and solve puzzles before the Fire Arrows are acquired.
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess incorporate the use of Arrows in horseback fighting. Enemies such as Bulblins ride alongside Link, moving sporadically enough that the Sword cannot be used reliably. The Arrow, with its long-range capabilities, can sling and force these enemies off of their steeds from afar.
In The Legend of Zelda, rather than using actual Arrows, a Rupee is consumed for each shot from the Bow. In Four Swords Adventures, the Bow has unlimited Arrows, and therefore does not have Arrows as items.
In Breath of the Wild, rather than having one set of arrows shared between all enchantments and addons like previous games featuring multiple types, there is a separate supply of arrows for each type.
- Main article: Fire Arrow
The Fire Arrow is mostly used for melting ice, lighting torches, and burning wood and spiderwebs. It is also a powerful weapon in battle against enemies such as Anubises. Shooting a standard Arrow through a torch lights the Arrow, turning it into a Fire Arrow. This technique can be used in Dungeons before Link obtains the Fire Arrows, or when the Magic Meter has been exhausted.
- Main article: Ice Arrow
The Ice Arrow functions primarily to freeze objects and enemies. In Ocarina of Time it is entirely optional, however, Majora's Mask incorporates it as a required item in the Great Bay Temple, as it is necessary to complete the Dungeon. It also requires the Magic Meter to be used.
- Main article: Silver Arrow
The Silver Arrow is used in The Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past to defeat Ganon, although they are changed to the Light Arrow in later games. The Silver Arrow is infused with a evil-piercing power that is effective when defeating Ganon during the climax of many early games. However, even though it is equippable, the Silver Arrow acts like a standard Arrow to all other enemies.
- Main article: Light Arrow
Like the Silver Arrow, the Light Arrow is required to defeat Ganon, but is sometimes used by Princess Zelda instead of Link. These holy Arrows are also infused with evil-brandishing light just like the Master Sword, having equal power against dark beasts. Light Arrows can defeat almost any enemy in one shot in The Wind Waker and The Minish Cap.
- Main article: Bomb Arrow
The Bomb Arrow first appeared in Link's Awakening, although not as an equippable item. It can be used by placing a Bomb and then shooting it with an Arrow. It later appears in Twilight Princess as an alternative option to standard Arrows. It can be used to shoot far enemies and to destroy rocks that are out of reach. Bomb Arrows will also make an appearance in the upcoming Breath of the Wild.
New Arrow Type
Breath of the Wild introduces a new type of Arrow which transforms its tip into a spearhead-like form.
- "You do not have a bow, Brother. You cannot use arrows even if you do buy them!" — Goron Salesman (Twilight Princess)
- "You traded for a Large Quiver! Now you can carry up to 40 arrows!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "You can buy arrows at a shop only if you have a bow. Have you got one, mister?" — Fado (Ocarina of Time)
- "Knock it off! Leave me alone, and I will sell you Arrows! 30 pieces 70 Rupees they are!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "Set it to (C) to arm your bow with arrows that freeze." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "Now you can freeze enemies and objects!" — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "When Ganon is stunned, give him his last moment with a Silver Arrow! Do you understand, Link?" — Princess Zelda (A Link to the Past)
- "These are the Silver Arrows you need to defeat Ganon!" — N/A (A Link to the Past)
- "I'll try to slow Ganondorf with my light arrows!" — Princess Zelda (Twilight Princess)
- "Set it to (C) to arm your bow. Aim its sacred light at evil..." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "After setting the Hero's Bow, use [R] on the Items screen to combine them to make bomb arrows." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "And you can combine bombs and arrows to make bomb arrows for when you need ranged explosives!" — Barnes (Twilight Princess)
|Names in Other Regions|