- This article refers to the Bombchu item. For the enemy, see Real Bombchu.
Bombchu artwork from
Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
Oracle of Ages
Oracle of Seasons
|Other media|| Hyrule Warriors|
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U
The Bombchu is a type of mobile explosives, which quickly move along the ground in a straight line until they self-destruct (indicated by red flashing) or until they touch an object or an enemy. They can be used to deliver explosive power to areas too out of reach for reach for regular Bombs or other weapons, or to attack enemies without getting too close. In Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Bombchu can also crawl up walls, which can be used to maneuver around walls that would block other weapons. Bombchu in these games may also attempt to home in on enemies, and will swerve off their path when one is nearby. This is demonstrated in Ocarina of Time's Bombchu Bowling mini-game, where Cuccos and Blade Traps serve as obstacles. Unlike Bombs and most forms of ammunition, Bombchu are typically much more difficult to resupply, as they usually never appear from common locations such as broken Jars or enemies. Instead they are usually found in Treasure Chests or purchased within shops. Unlike regular Bombs, Bombchu do not require a Bomb Bag in most games, and can be obtained without one. Most Bombchu in most games also cannot have their maximum carrying capacity upgraded. Though useful, they are often not required to progress through the games.
In Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, Bombchu aesthetically appear similar as they did in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but have a slightly different function. Instead of traveling in a straight line, the explosive will lock onto one target and follow that target until it impacts and explodes. If no enemy is present, the Bombchu will simply travel forward in a straight line.
In Phantom Hourglass, the usefulness of the Bombchu is expanded and their functions differ as instead Link must draw out a path for it to follow on the map. When used, the map goes to the bottom screen so that Link can draw the path he wants the Bombchu to take. They do not automatically travel in a straight line nor home in on enemies, and travel at a noticeably slower space. They can be used to scout areas ahead of Link, or attack enemies around corners long before they notice Link's presence. They are also the only items which can go through small holes in walls. Link can move around at the same time as the Bombchu, which is required to solve certain puzzles. Bombchu in Phantom Hourglass are also the only game in which Bombchu are given their own Bombchu Bag, as well as the first in which Link can increase his capacity of them. While they still appear often in shops, Bombchu can also be found throughout the overworld much like other ammunition, such as inside Jars.
Ocarina of Time
- There is a Bombchu Shop open at night in the Back Alley of Castle Town, although their stock is limited, and each item can only be bought once before selling out.
- The Bombchu Bowling Alley will give out Bombchu as one of the random prizes Link wins if he wins the mini-game.
- After finding 40 Gold Skulltula Tokens, Link can receive some Bombchu from the fourth son at the House of Skulltula in Kakariko Village.
- Bombchu can be bought from the Carpet Merchant in the Haunted Wasteland. He sells packs of 10 Bombchu for 200 Rupees.
Link can hold up to 50 of them at a time.
In the Oracle series, Bombchu may only be obtained in a Linked Game through the Subrosian Secret or the Troy Secret. Link can carry up to 99 Bombchu at once. Once obtained, Syrup will start selling packs of them at the price of 100 Rupees for 5 Bombchu.
The name Bombchu is a combination of Bomb and "chu", Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a mouse makes, referring to their mouse-like shape. The plural form of Bombchu can be either Bombchu or Bombchus.
- The Real Bombchu are named after these explosives.
- "A Bombchu is a type of mouse-shaped bomb that moves forward automatically." — Hyrule Warriors Direct, YouTube, published August 4, 2014.
- "This is a new type of bomb! It's available only in limited quantities, and when I'm sold out, that's it!" — Bombchu Shop Proprietor (Ocarina of Time)
- "I am selling stuff, strange and rare, from all over the world to everybody. Today's special is... A dangerous, running object! Terrifying! I won't tell you what it is until I see the money.... How about 200 Rupees?" — Carpet Merchant (Ocarina of Time)
- Hyrule Warriors Reactions from SDCC
- "You got 10 Bombchu!
Set them to (<), (>) or (v) on the
Select Item Screen." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "I can't sell you Bombchus if you don't have a Bombchu bag." — Shopkeeper (Phantom Hourglass)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Bombchu (OoT3D, PH)|
|French||Missile Teigneux||Mangy Missile|
|Korean||찍폭탄 (JJikpoktan)||Squeak Bomb|