Carpenters artwork from Oracle of Ages
|Game(s)||Ocarina of Time|
Oracle of Ages
The Minish Cap
|Location(s)||Ocarina of Time:|
Oracle of Ages:
The Minish Cap:
North Hyrule Field
|Objective(s)||Build bridges and buildings|
|Members||Ocarina of Time:|
Ichiro, Jiro, Sabooro, Shiro
Majora's Mask / The Minish Cap:
Bremor, Brent, Doyle, Mack
The Carpenters are recurring characters in The Legend of Zelda series.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the Carpenters can be first seen working on a building in Kakariko Village, which later becomes the Shooting Gallery. They are hired by Impa, who hopes the village will someday become a city.
Seven years later, the Carpenters set up a tent in Gerudo Valley in order to restore the bridge that the Gerudo destroyed to ward off intruders. However, Mutoh is the only one remaining as his employees have all abandoned him to join the Gerudos as thieves. The female bandits reject the Carpenters and hold them prisoner in separate cells throughout their fortress. Once Link frees them all, the Carpenters rebuild the bridge in Gerudo Valley.
The name of the Carpenters is decided depending on the order which they are rescued. The first one is named Ichiro, the second Jiro, the third Sabooro, and the fourth Shiro.
In Majora's Mask, the Carpenters are part of the Clock Town Carnival Executive Committee, which is in charge of constructing the fireworks-viewing tower for the Carnival of Time. During the first two days, Mutoh is in the Mayor's Residence while the other Carpenters work in South Clock Town. During the night of the Final Day, Mutoh is the only remaining Carpenter in town, mocking the Moon above. He indicates that he has some sons who have already fled the town.
Oracle of Ages
In Oracle of Ages, Mutoh can be found in Nuun Highlands next to the bridge leading to the Symmetry City Ruins. He and the other Carpenter were building the bridge when they decided to take a break. Once Link finds the three Carpenters around the area with the help of an animal companion, they finish building the bridge.
The Minish Cap
In The Minish Cap, Mutoh's carpenters are first seen in North Hyrule Field, repairing damage done by Vaati, which prevents Link from entering Hyrule Town. They are then found in the Eastern Hills, blocking the path to Lon Lon Ranch. After completing Mt. Crenel, they can be found working in a building with a waterwheel in Hyrule Town. Link can then fuse Kinstones with them. Fusing with Bremor after finding a house for either Din, Nayru, or Farore will cause them to build a house for another Oracle.
Bremor has a two spikes hairstyle and wears green trousers, Brent has devilock and wears white trousers, Doyle has flattop and wears pink trousers, and Mack has an afro cut and wears blue trousers.
|The Carpenters (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
||These carpenters may be rough around the edges, but they do good work. They may seem tough, but they're in touch with their feminine side.|
Ichiro, Jiro, Sabooro, and Shiro are common names to give to sons in Japan. The "-rō" part being a male ending that means "son" and "ichi" and "ji" being the numbers "one," "two," and on. This and the fact that their Japanese names translate to first through fourth son, indicates that the Carpenters may be brothers.
- In Ocarina of Time, one of the Carpenters rescued from the Gerudo's Fortress shares his name with Shiro, the invisible soldier in the path to Ikana Canyon from Majora's Mask.
- In the German version of Ocarina of Time and The Minish Cap, the Carpenters are called John, Paul, George, and Ringo as a reference to The Beatles. However, in Ocarina of Time 3D, the names were changed.
- In the Japanese version of Ocarina of Time, all of the Carpenters use female first person pronouns like あたし (Atashi) and あたい (Atai). They also have a tendency to end their sentences with the particle わ (wa), which is usually only used by women to express emphasis or emotion. Jiro also calls Link a "cute boy (カワイイ ボーヤ)" when he is rescued from the Gerudos.
- In The Minish Cap, the names of the Carpenters are similar to the Cobble Knights, being Bremeur, Brant, Doylan, and Max, which might explain King Mutoh's name.
- "I am the boss of the carpenters that Impa hired to improve this village and make it into a true city!" — Mutoh (Ocarina of Time)
- "Those Gerudo thieves...they broke the bridge. I want to fix it, but all of my workers are gone!" — Mutoh (Ocarina of Time)
- "A job where you can make a lot of money without much effort... The only thing I can think of is thievery... Is that a bad idea?" — Carpenter (Ocarina of Time)
- "They said working as carpenters isn't cool, and they went to the Gerudo's Fortress to become thieves..." — Mutoh (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey, I heard you saved my men. When they returned, we built this bridge. Look at this! Isn't it a fine bridge? They may be wimpy carpenters, but once they all got together, they got the job done." — Mutoh (Ocarina of Time)
- "If you're gonna fall, then what's stoppin' ya, you monster?!" — Mutoh (Majora's Mask)
- "!!! The mayor's son? No good runnin' off before the ceremony! ...I wish I could get mad, but my own sons ran off in a hurry before the carnival... What a shame! I could cry!" — Mutoh (Majora's Mask)
- "Tsk! Is Brac working t'night? I wonder if that'll get finished." — Carpenters (Majora's Mask)
- "Bremor! Don't be standin' 'round lookin' at yer feet all day!" — Carpenter (Majora's Mask)
- "Those lazy, worthless fools! Just as we're buildin' this bridge to the Symmetry City Ruins, they go off on break! I wait and I wait, but they don't come back!" — Mutoh (Majora's Mask)
- "If you can get all three of those slackers back here, we can get to work on this bridge. But the terrain around here is too rough, so you can't manage it on your own." — Mutoh (Majora's Mask)
- Names in Japanese, Japanorama.
- MetroidePrime, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Part 46 (Die Festung der Gerudos), YouTube, published May 29, 2009.
- "アタイ、大工のイチロー。 (Atai, Daiku no Ichirō.)" — Ichiro (Ocarina of Time)
- "あたしたち 一日中この村で 家 建ててんの。 (Atashitachi ichinichijū kono mura de ie tatete n no.)" — Carpenter (Ocarina of Time)
- "あと２人、仲間が捕まってるの。助けてやってよ。たのむわね！ (Ato futari, nakama ga tsukamatteru no. Tasuketeyatte yo.Tanomu wa ne! )" — Jiro (Ocarina of Time)
- "カワイイ ボーヤ！助けてくれて サンキュー！。 (Kawaii Bōya! Tasuketekurete Sankyū!)" — Jiro (Ocarina of Time)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Carpenter||Carnival Committee (MM)|| Ichiro
|Japanese||大工 (Daiku)||カーニバル実行委員会 (Kānibaru jikkō iinkai)|| イチロー (Ichirō)
テツヤ (Tetsuya) (MM)
| ジロー (Jirō)
トメちゃん (Tome-chan) (MM)
|サブロー (Saburō)||シロー (Shirō)|
|Spanish||Carpintero||Comité del Carnaval||Mita (TMC)|| Bremor (MM)
|Gari (TMC)||Kyu (TMC)|
|Carpintero (OoT3D)||Ichiro (OoT3D)||Jiro (OoT3D)||Sabooro (OoT3D)||Shiro (OoT3D)|
|French|| Ouvrier (OoT)
|Comité du Carnaval|| Hiro
|Komitee|| John (OoT) (TMC)
| Paul (OoT) (TMC)
| George (OoT) (TMC)
| Ringo (OoT) (TMC)|
|Italian||Carpentiere||Fiffo (TMC)||Nannà (TMC)||Gary (TMC)||Ninnì (TMC)|