From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
The Deku Butler is a character from Majora's Mask. He is the loyal servant of the Deku King, who lives in the Deku Palace. He is typically very proper and polite, and he is able to keep his head much better than the Deku Royalty he serves. He is prone to sentimentality when reminded of his son, however.
When Link arrives to the Deku Palace, the Deku Butler comments at the sad state that the Deku Kingdom finds itself in from having a kidnapped princess, a poisoned swamp, and a king who will not listen to reason and only willing to blame a Monkey for the princess's disappearance. Moreover, the Deku Butler fears the Deku Princess has really been caught up in trouble, but since the Deku King is unwilling to calm down, the kingdom cannot send out troops to look for her. After Link rescues the princess and clears the swamp from poison, the Deku Butler thanks the young hero for his help and asks him to meet him in the Deku Shrine to give him a reward as a sign of gratitude. Here, the butler leads Link through a labyrinth full of traps. If the young hero manages to keep up, the Deku Butler will apologize for trying to outrun him, saying he was reminded of when he used to race his son.
During the end credits, the Deku Butler is seen mourning at a small Deku-like twisted tree found before the tunnel that leads to the Clock Tower. This is the same one that Tatl comments on at the beginning of the game. Apparently, the Skull Kid came across with the Deku Butler's son at this spot, stripping him from his soul, which he later used to transform Link into a Deku Scrub.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Now that our beloved princess is missing, the king has been unable to keep his cool... I fear the princess may be caught up in some kind of trouble, just as that monkey claims... But in his current state, the king can't even send troops out to look for her. What are we to do?" — Deku Butler (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "I am afraid I may have tried too hard to outrun you. As old as I am, I am still a fast competitor. Just like when I raced my son... Please forgive my rudeness." — Deku Butler (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "I wonder where he has gone...what he is doing... If only he would write me a letter... Pardon me. Once again, thoughts of my son have me feeling sentimental. Now, where were we?" — Deku Butler (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Actually, when I see you, I am reminded of my son who left home long ago... Somehow, I feel as if I am once again racing with my son..." — Deku Butler (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "It's terribly sad... But nothing can calm the king now.... Our swamps have become poisoned...This may be the end of the Deku Kingdom! Oh, great lords! Save us!" — Deku Butler (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "As a symbol of our gratitude, our butler has prepared a little something for you. Please accept it. You'll find it in the shrine that will be to your right when you leave the palace." — Deku Princess (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Come over to this tree and check it out! It's strange, but the way you look right now sort of looks like this tree... It looks all dark and gloomy... almost like it could start crying any second now... How sad..." — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Link's transformation into a Deku Scrub is caused by the spirit of a member of the Deku tribe that died in the forest connecting Hyrule and Termina." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 112)
- ↑ "That is the Mask of Scents, isn't it? You've done well to get that mask. Looking at its condition, I can tell that its previous owner was neat and tidy." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)