|First appearance||Majora's Mask|
|Latest appearance||Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|Non-canon Appearances||Majora's Mask manga|
|Voice Actor(s)||Fujiko Takimoto|
- Main article: Retrieval of the Ocarina of Time
After stumbling through the forest in pursuit of the Skull Kid, Link falls through a large hole leading to the parallel world of Termina. At the end of the hole, Link finds Skull Kid wearing Majora's Mask. The imp eerily laughs and transforms him into a Deku Scrub. However, the Happy Mask Salesman later finds Link and informs the cursed hero that he can be returned to his original form if the instrument stolen from him, the Ocarina of Time, is retrieved. Link accepts the quest and explores the vast city of Clock Town over the course of three days and, after interacting with various townsfolk, manages to confront the Skull Kid atop the Clock Tower. He quickly uses a Bubble Blast to knock the ocarina out of Skull Kid's hands, scoops it up, and begins to play. To his surprise, simply being in Deku form causes Link's instrument to appear as the Pipes of Awakening. Undeterred, the young hero plays the Song of Time to travel back in time to the first day. He presents the recovered instrument to the Happy Mask Salesman, who teaches Link the Song of Healing. The magical properties of the song eases Link's soul, and he returns to his human form. The eradication of the curse causes the Deku Mask to materialize, granting Link the ability to transform at will into a Deku Scrub. Link then starts his quest to find a way to retrieve the evil mask that is manipulating the moon to crash into the world of Termina.
Link's new form is required while he is exploring the spacious Southern Swamp, not only to walk across the toxic water (hopping between the water lilies), but also to infiltrate inside the gardens of Deku Palace, reveal the entrance to the first dungeon, Woodfall Temple, and to explore and conquer the temple itself. His unique abilities prove invaluable in other locations as well.
As mentioned above, by using the Deku Mask, Link is able to transform into Deku Link at almost any time. Deku Link has many natural abilities that Link employs to overcome various obstacles and puzzles.
Deku Link is not capable of swimming, instead traveling on the surface of bodies of water through a series of hops. Limited to five hops before drowning, the fifth bounce is significantly higher than the previous four, allowing one last-ditch effort to reach dry land. This ability prevents Deku Link from being damaged by toxic water or from being affected by the speed or direction of the current. This ability is primarily employed in areas with poisonous water, such as the Southern Swamp and the Woodfall Temple.
Deku Flower Flight
By burrowing into a Deku Flower, Deku Link can launch himself into the air and drop Deku Nuts on enemies. The elevation and duration of the flight varies from flower to flower, though any flight can be extended if Deku Link passes through a powerful air stream. As well as granting Link access to previously inaccessible areas, launching from a Deku Flower is also a powerful attack move. This is necessary to defeat enemies such as Snappers, and can also be used to defeat the boss of the Woodfall Temple, Odolwa.
By lightly tapping the A-Button while moving, Deku Link will twirl on one foot at an accelerated pace. This spin can stun enemies and break weak objects (such as jars), although it is rarely a powerful enough attack to kill an enemy.
This power is granted to Deku Link after he restores the body of the Great Fairy in North Clock Town. It allows Link to release powerful bubbles at the expense of draining magic power. This attack is useful to break airborne objects or defeat flying enemies; the disadvantage is that the range is inefficient compared to that of arrows.
Deku Link shield is quite unique. It appears to be half the husk of a large Deku Nut, and is very similar to Goron Link's shield in that it renders Link immobile, but also impervious to attacks from any direction (excluding fire-based attacks). This defense is reminiscent of Young Link's attempt to use the Hylian Shield in Ocarina of Time.
Due to Deku Link's slight frame, he is able to stand on lily pads without them sinking below him. This ability makes the exploration of poisonous waters in the Southern Swamp possible. However, this ability also makes it impossible for Deku Link to press down most floor switches.
The body that Deku Link inhabits is not only made of wood, but it is that of a young child. General physical weakness combined with a wooden composition leads to many difficulties, including:
- Fire: Made of wood, mere contact with a flame of any sort is typically enough to instantly knock out Deku Link. He will then restart from his last entrance as if he had fallen into an abyss.
- Water: Deku Link is incapable of swimming, though he overcomes this adversity by hopping on the water's surface.
- Height: Due to his short stature and weak upper-body strength, Deku Link cannot climb most ledges.
When using the Ocarina as Deku Link, it appears as the Pipes of Awakening (also referred to as the Deku Pipes), a number of wooden trumpet horns all attached to a mouth piece. This instrument is known for its high volume, and is required to play the Sonata of Awakening with maximum effect. If that song is played with the Deku Pipes, the Woodfall Temple will rise from the swamp and grant access to the intrepid musician.
The Deku Princess is also capable of playing the Deku Pipes, though she had only learned recently. Link must summon the temple from the depths of the swamp using his own pipes and the song he learned from a captured monkey in order to pursue and rescue the wooden princess and free the innocent monkey.
- Main article: Deku Butler's Son
Deku Link is the incarnation of the Deku Butler's Son who was turned into a tree while hunting for mushrooms in the forest, possibly as a curse by the possessed Skull Kid. It is heavily implied that the distorted tree was tortured in some way through Tatl commenting on how sad the tree looks and by the Deku Butler sorrowfully kneeling in front of his cursed son during the game's end credits.
When Link chases the Skull Kid into Termina in the beginning of the game, the imp decides to torment Link by transforming him into a Deku Scrub. Link continues the chase in this form, discovering the disfigured remains of the Deku Butler's son, whose body he now inhabits, along the way. Link remains in this form until he learns the Song of Healing, at which point he gains the Deku Mask and the ability to change form at will.
- When Deku Link opens a chest, it is shown that he is right-handed, but when he uses a bottle, Deku Link is left-handed.
- Most of the people in game think Deku Link to be a young boy, and an adorable one at that. This opinion is not shared by the many dogs of the game, who will attack on sight.
- Deku Link is the only one of Link's transformations (excluding Fierce Deity) that cannot press down a floor switch, making his Elegy of Emptiness statue unnecessary.
Concept art from Hyrule Historia
- "Hee, hee! Now, that's a good look for you! You'll stay here looking that way forever!" — Skull Kid (Majora's Mask)
- "Huh? When did you get that instrument?!?" — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- "All right, listen up! If you press and hold (A) as a Deku Scrub while standing on a Deku Flower, you can dive into it. If you wait a bit before releasing (A), you'll launch out of the flower. Press (A) while flying to descend." — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- "You've been granted Magic Power! In your current form, press (B) to shoot bubble blasts. Press and hold (B) to blow a big bubble. Release (B) to shoot it. Your Magic Power decreases when you shoot. Replenish it with Magic Jars and Potions." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "Deku Pipes! Those will work great!!!" — Monkey in the Deku Palace (Majora's Mask)
- "Wait...You don't happen to have something that can make a lot of noise...like a loud instrument with sound that carries a long way?" — Monkey in the Deku Palace (Majora's Mask)
- "Oh! You have them! You do! Just like the princess... Deku Pipes!" — Monkey in the Deku Palace (Majora's Mask)
- "The tiny princess only recently learned to play the Deku Pipes..." — Deku Butler (Majora's Mask)
- "My son often used that mask to find mushrooms in the forest." — Deku Butler when talked to wearing the Mask of Scents (Majora's Mask)
- "It's strange, but the way you look right now sort of looks like this tree..." — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- "Link's transformation into a Deku Scrub is caused by the spirit of a member of the Deku tribe that died in the forest connecting Hyrule and Termina." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 112)
- "It looks all dark and gloomy... almost like it could start crying any second now... How sad..." — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- "Oh, what a cute little customer!" — Mini-game Operator (Majora's Mask)
- "Ruff-ruff! Where'd that Deku Scrub go? When I see his face, I get all riled up!" — Dog (Majora's Mask)