The outer walls of the Palace
|Inhabitant(s)|| Deku King|
|Item(s)|| Piece of Heart|
Mask of Scents
"Sonata of Awakening"
|Related place(s)|| Southern Swamp|
|Theme Music||File:Deku Palace.ogg|
Features and Overview
When Link first reaches the Southern Swamp, the only way he can access the Deku Palace is by riding the Boat Cruise offered at the Swamp Tourist Center, which is only available after Koume is rescued from the Woods of Mystery. Once here, Link must manage to reach the imprisoned Monkey who is being accused of having kidnapped the Deku Princess. Speaking to the Monkey will teach Link the "Sonata of Awakening", a melody that reveals the hidden Woodfall Temple in Woodfall.
The Deku Palace consists of five main areas:
- A fortified outer wall surrounding a section of swamp.
- The left-hand-side Inner Palace Garden, which leads to a Piece of Heart.
- The right-hand-side Inner Palace Garden, which leads to a grotto housing the Bean Seller.
- The Royal Chamber, which house the Deku King, many other Deku Scrubs, a small prison, and a sacrificial pot of boiling water.
- A secret labyrinth, otherwise known as the Deku Shrine, in which Link can follow the Deku Butler to acquire the Mask of Scents.
Inner Palace Garden
Initially, Link can only access the Royal Chamber of the Deku Palace by transforming into Deku Link, since the guards will not grant access to anyone who is not of the Deku race. The Inner Palace Gardens are guarded by patrolling Deku guards, and Link must avoid them in order to reach the Magic Bean Seller and a Piece of Heart. It is easier to do this at night, since the range of vision of the Deku guards is then represented by a series of dots, and in fact the Piece of Heart can be obtained without hassle after defeating Odolwa in Woodfall Temple.
In the Royal Chamber, the Monkey who is about to be punished for supposedly kidnapping the Deku Princess can be found, as well as the outraged Deku King and his Deku Butler who is trying to calm the King down. It is also here that Link learns the "Sonata of Awakening" from said Monkey after the young hero reaches him from the route via the Outer Palace Garden.
Outer Palace Garden
In the Outer Palace Garden, located to the right of the Deku Palace, there is another entrance that leads to the Royal Chamber, albeit a bit complex. Link can only access it by planting a Magic Bean on the patch of soft soil located to the right of the Deku Palace entrance. Once the plant grows after watering it with Spring Water, Link can go up into the upper part of the Inner Palace Garden, where he must cross the gardens by using Deku Flowers and defeating various Mad Scrubs in the process. It is through this path that Link can reach and talk to the imprisoned Monkey in the Royal Chamber.
- Main article: Deku Shrine
At first, the entrance to the Deku Shrine is blocked by a Big Octo; because of this, Link must defeat Odolwa in the Woodfall Temple in order to enter the Shrine. Here, Link can race the Deku Butler who will reward Link with the Mask of Scents if he manages to keep up with him.
- "Follow this hall straight to the Royal Chamber. Do not enter any other areas whatsoever!" — Deku Guard (Majora's Mask)
- "This is the royal palace of the Deku Kingdom. This is no place for outsiders." — Deku Guard (Majora's Mask)
- "Woodfall Shortcut / For use by Deku Scrubs only." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "...But you may enter to see the public humiliation of the foolish monkey who angered our king." — Deku Guard (Majora's Mask)
- "Did you see entrance to cage? We know secret route there. Enter secret route from Outer Garden entrance. But entrance in tall place. No can reach it. Need bean from bean seller. Live beneath palace garden." — A Monkey (Majora's Mask)
- "I am afraid I may have tried too hard to outrun you. As old as I am, I am still a fast competitor. Just like when I raced my son... Please forgive my rudeness." — Deku Butler (Majora's Mask)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||デクナッツの城 (Dekunattsu no Shiro)||Deku Nuts Castle|
|Spanish||Palacio Deku||Deku Palace|
|French||Palais Mojo||Mojo Palace|