Deku Stick artwork from Ocarina of Time
|Game(s)||Ocarina of Time|
|Other media||Hyrule Warriors|
|Comparable Item(s)||Boko Stick|
Location and Uses
Deku Sticks are most commonly acquired by harvesting the stalks of Deku Babas, but are said by shop owners to be long branches gathered from the Great Deku Tree. Business Scrubs will sell Link a Deku Stick for 15 Rupees, 5 more than a shop. Though most commonly used as a makeshift torch to solve puzzles, Deku Sticks can also be used as weapons. They are to a child what the Giant's Knife is to an adult, however, seeing as how they break after just one swing. Deku Sticks deal twice as much damage as the Kokiri Sword. However, their strength was halved in Ocarina of Time 3D.
To prevent burning out a Deku Stick, Link can quickly put it away or swing his sword, thus preserving the Deku Stick.
In Ocarina of Time, it is possible for Link to increase the maximum number of Deku Sticks he can hold in his inventory. The first upgrade raises the amount from 10 to 20 and the second to 30. Both these upgrades are only obtainable as a child, as Adult Link cannot equip the Deku Stick. If Link enters the Forest Stage while wearing the Skull Mask, the Deku Scrubs will reward him by both refilling his supply of Deku Sticks and raising their capacity to 20. The second is bought for 40 Rupees from a Business Scrub in the same area as the bridge between Hyrule Field and Kokiri Forest.
Its Japanese name, デクの棒 (Deku no Bou), derives from the Japanese idiom, 木偶の坊 (Deku no Bou). Both phrases have the same pronunciation but with different spelling and meaning. 木偶の坊 means "the wooden puppet," which is a metaphor for an incompetent person.
- In Majora's Mask, Zubora derogatorily calls Gabora a "Deku Stick" when he suggests melting the ice of their hearth with Hot Spring Water. This is likely a reference to the item's Japanese name pun.
- The Deku Stick, alongside with the Giant's Knife, are the first items in the series that will break or wear down after regular use. It is succeeded by the Razor Sword and the items Link can obtain in Breath of the Wild.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||デクの棒 (Deku no Bou)||Deku Stick|
|SpanishLA||Palo deku (OoT3D, MM3D)|
|French||Bâton Mojo||Deku Stick|
|FrenchCA||Bâton mojo (MM3D)|
|Italian||Ramo Deku (OoT3D, MM3D)|
|ChineseSI||德库木棒 (Dékù Mùbàng)||Deku Stick|
- "Deku Baba-Hit it when it lunges at you, and it will stand upright. Cut it quickly to get a Deku Stick!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "A long branch gathered from the Great Deku Tree. You can use it as a weapon, but it will break." — Kokiri Shop Owner (Ocarina of Time)
- "All right! You win! In return, I will sell you Deku Sticks! 1 piece, 15 Rupees they are!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "This long stick can even be used as a weapon. It's our best-seller." — Man from Trading Post (Majora's Mask)
- "I know a trick to conserve sticks! If you light a stick on fire, it will burn to ashes. Press (A) to put it away before it completely burns!" — Goron (Ocarina of Time)
- "They say that if you get close to a butterfly while holding a Deku Stick in your hands, something good will happen." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- "All of the young Deku Scrub brothers agree...you look exactly like our sacred forest totem! As an offering from us, please accept these Deku Sticks. We will also enhance your carrying skills! Abracadabra! Alakazaaaam!" — Big Deku Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "Now you can pick up many Deku Sticks! You can carry up to 20 of them!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "I surrender! To make your quest easier, I can enable you to pick up more Deku Sticks! But, it'll cost you 40 Rupees!" — Business Scrub (Ocarina of Time)
- "You can now pick up even more Deku Sticks! You can carry up to 30 of them!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "Eh? What's that? You say if we had hot water, we could melt the ice off the hearth? Don't act like you know what you're talking about, you Deku Stick!" — Zubora (Majora's Mask)