Piece of Heart
|Related place(s)||Romani Ranch|
The Doggy Racetrack is a location in Majora's Mask.
Overview and Features
The Doggy Racetrack can be found south of Romani Ranch. It is run by Mamamu Yan and is open from 6 AM to 8 PM. Link can come here to watch and bet on dog races, earning Rupee rewards if he bids successfully.
After accepting to play, Link is instructed by Mamamu Yan to choose any dog from the corral; that is the dog Link will bet for before the race starts. The dog choice can be made easier if Link wears the Mask of Truth while lifting a dog. This will allow him to read the dog's mind to determine how the dog feels about the day's race. If the dog he chooses places first, he will win triple his bet. If the dog places second, he will win double the bet. For third to fifth places, he will break even. Any place lower wins nothing, and Link loses the Rupees he bet. Winning more than 150 Rupees in one or more bets, without losing a bet in between, will win Link a Piece of Heart.
The thoughts of the dogs start with either "Ruff", "Rrr-Ruff!", or "Hoo-whine.". These are what determines the general placement of the dogs. Dogs thinking something starting with "Ruff" generally finish near the front, those with "Rrr-Ruff!" near the middle, and those with "Hoo-whine." near the end. The precise order the dogs will finish in is random, with the exception of the gold dog and the black dog.
If the golden dog is thinking anything starting with "Ruff", it will almost always get first place, and always at least second place. Once the golden dog has won after having a "Ruff" thought, it will tend to keep having "Ruff" thoughts until Link leaves the area. The black dog will almost always lose very badly no matter what it is thinking — often trailing far behind the others and occasionally even being lapped by them. The other dogs are rather typical and will usually win only if thinking a very positive thought.
Mamamu Yan will caution Link against participating if he is wearing any of the transformation masks. She warns that the dogs would be too afraid of Goron Link, that they would like Zora Link a bit too much, and that they would have less than friendly ideas for Deku Link. In each respective case, all the dogs will react to Link's presence accordingly. For Goron Link they will all growl until approached where they run away in fear, for Zora Link they will all follow him lovingly, and for Deku Link the dogs will all attack him.
- There are Rupees in the Jars beneath the awning at the back of the track, enough to place a few bets with. Even more Rupees can be found on top of the awning, obtainable by the Hookshot, or by placing a Magic Bean in the soft Soil spot in the center area. Link can also climb on top of the awning while standing on the fence if he is in his Zora form. There is also a Gossip Stone at the very back of the track behind the awning.
- The arch at the entrance is similar to that of Lon Lon Ranch, and its text is the same.
- "Mamamu Yan's / Doggy Racetrack / 6 a.m. to 8 p.m." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "If the dog you brought me takes 1st place, you get triple your bet. 2nd place gets double. If the dog you've chosen places 3rd through 5th, you'll break even and get back however much you bet. If your dog does any worse than that, you'll lose whatever you bet." — Mamamu Yan (Majora's Mask)
- "Oh, well, actually, I don't think this is right for you... If the doggies see a face like yours, I think they'd all roll over and play dead!" — Mamamu Yan (Majora's Mask)
- "Oh...Actually I don't think I can let you play... If the doggies smell you, I don't think I'd be able to pull them away!" — Mamamu Yan (Majora's Mask)
- "Oh, well, actually I don't think this is a good idea... I mean, look at you... You know what doggies do to trees, don't you?" — Mamamu Yan (Majora's Mask)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Spanish||Canódromo||Canodrome (portmanteau of Can and Hippodrome, Can is the latin prefix for Dog)|
|French||Course pour Chiens||Race for Dogs|