|Use(s)||Control another being|
|Comparable Item(s)||Hyoi Pear, Command Melody|
The Dominion Rod, also known as the rod of the heavens, is an item first introduced in Twilight Princess, and is used to bring certain statues to life. This causes the statues to mimic its master's movements: if Link walks in a certain direction, the statue will move in that same direction. Pressing the button that the Dominion Rod is set to causes the statue to perform an attack.
Back when the sky beings known as the Oocca still maintained contact with the Royal Family of Hyrule, the Oocca handed down a mysterious rod known as the Dominion Rod. This rod was only to be carried by one known as the messenger to the heavens, and it would be used by the messenger whenever the Royal Family needed to communicate with the Oocca. Along with the rod of the heavens, the sky beings left the Ancient Sky Book with the Sheikah, which was to be given specifically to the heavenly messenger.
When the events of the game begin, the Dominion Rod is found in the eighth and highest floor of the sixth dungeon, the Temple of Time. However, the temple itself is destroyed in present time, so when Link visits the Sacred Grove while looking for a fragment of the Mirror of Twilight, he has to cross a gate that takes him to the past, in a time when the temple is still standing. Link gains the Dominion Rod after defeating a Darknut.
There are four types of statues Link can move with the Dominion Rod. The first type are small statuettes in the Temple of Time that are mainly used to weigh down switches. The second type is a much larger statue that holds a hammer, which Link must guide through the Temple to its original position. This statue can attack enemies with its hammer. The third type of statues are gigantic statues found only in one room that Link must use to defeat Armogohma. The last type are Owl Statues: the only statues located outside the Temple of Time. They are primarily moved to obtain the missing Ancient Sky Book characters, or to create platforms for Link to jump on.
The Dominion Rod is the key item used to defeat the boss in the Temple of Time, Armogohma, the latest incarnation of Gohma.
Once Link leaves the portal that connects the Sacred Grove to the Temple of Time, the Dominion Rod loses its power. After receiving the Ancient Sky Book containing sky language and giving it to a man named Shad, who has recently discovered an owl statue different from other ones he has seen across Hyrule, he will read the text, only to fail to open the path that leads to the heavens. However, the ancient text he reads is a spell which restores power to the Dominion Rod. Link must then travel across Hyrule to various Owl Statues, and use the power of the rod of the heavens to move the statues. Under each one contains an ancient character, which Link needs to acquire to complete the book.
When Link returns to Kakariko Village and gives Shad the completed book, he changes the strange statue's composition, but fails to make it budge. Link uses the Dominion Rod to move the owl statue, and finds a small tunnel leading to a room containing the enormous, yet damaged Sky Cannon. Link then gets Midna to warp the cannon to Lake Hylia. Here Link pays a fee of 300 Rupees to a man named Fyer to get the cannon fixed. It is here that Link finally begins his journey into the City in the Sky.
- Along the walls of the Temple of Time, there are carvings depicting what looks to be the Seven Sages. One of the Sages is holding the Dominion Rod.
- "And, as I have learned, when Ilia was saved, she overheard someone talking about the rod of the heavens, or something like that..." — Renado (Twilight Princess)
- "And that rod of the heavens she mentioned... I'm sure it has something to do with the word that breaks the seal." — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "This amazing rod can infuse ancient statues with life." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "A statue brought to life will move like its master." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "Among the legends of my clan, there is a story from the time when the Oocca still maintained contact with the royal family. Yes, it said that a mysterious rod was handed down from the people of the sky, and it was called the Dominion Rod... The rod was only to be carried by the messenger to the heavens when the royal family needed to communicate with the Oocca." — Impaz (Twilight Princess)
- "From generation to generation, my ancestors have guarded the book that, by royal decree, was to be given to the messenger to the heavens." — Impaz (Twilight Princess)
- "But that thing has been around for quite some time. I can see from here that its magic has been exhausted." — Ooccoo (Twilight Princess)
- "Power has returned to the Dominion Rod!" — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "It has taken on the same shape as the other statues..." — Shad (Twilight Princess)
- "How in blazes did you move that statue?! And...what's this... Amazing! Spectacular! This must be the Sky Cannon I read about in my father's notes!" — Shad (Twilight Princess)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||コピーロッド (Kopī Roddo)||Copy Rod|
|Spanish||Cetro de dominio||Dominion Scepter|
|French||Bâton Anima||Animation Rod|
|Italian||Scettro del plagio||Scepter of Copying|
|Items in Twilight Princess|
|Click on an item|