Earth Temple (The Wind Waker)
Link and Medli exploring the temple in The Wind Waker
|Game(s)||The Wind Waker|
|Main Item||Mirror Shield, Treasure Chart ×2|
|Quest Reward(s)||Master Sword empowered|
The Earth Temple is a dungeon featured in The Wind Waker. It is located leagues beneath the Great Sea, directly below Headstone Island, in the now-sunken realm of Hyrule. The main item obtained is the Mirror Shield, and its boss is Jalhalla.
Both the Earth Temple and the Wind Temple were constructed to safeguard the power to repel evil within the Master Sword, by providing a place for the two Sages to offer up their prayers to the Golden Goddesses. The prayer song for the Sage of Earth was the Earth God's Lyric. When Ganondorf escaped to the surface of the ocean, he sought a way to deactivate the Master Sword. He invaded the Earth Temple and murdered the Sage of Earth, the Zora known as Laruto.
It was here that Laruto's spirit lingered on, awaiting the time when a new Hero armed with the Master Sword would come with a successor Sage to restore its power, and destroy the evil that now haunted the temple.
Entrance to the Temple
Link comes to investigate what had become of the Sages of the Master Sword, and to restore the Master Sword’s power. He brings Laruto’s predestined successor, a Rito by the name of Medli, with him. Medli bears a harp identical to Laruto's, and they both play the Earth God's Lyric to break down the Sage Stone that blocks the entrance to the Earth Temple.
Inside the dark and eerie temple, Medli proves very useful in that she can fly, as well as reflect light off her harp. Her harp is Link's only way of reflecting light until he finds the Mirror Shield, after defeating a group of Stalfos deep within the temple's interior. The pair works together to cleanse the temple of the evil monsters infesting it, and works their way to its deepest recesses, where they discover the entrance to the shrine chamber of Sage of Earth. Link enters the room and defeats Jalhalla using the Mirror Shield.
After Link defeats Jalhalla, Medli enters the chamber and plays the Earth God's Lyric with Link, who conducts with the Wind Waker. This causes Laruto to appear one final time to play alongside them. This song restores part of the Master Sword's former power, and releases Laruto from her obligations, allowing her spirit to finally rest in peace. Medli remains in the Sage shrine and sends Link back above ground to seek out the Wind Temple, where he could restore the Master Sword to its full power.
There is a great focus on the duality of light and darkness which is portrayed throughout the temple. Much of the temple appears to be nothing short of a large tomb, with many coffins (several of which contained ReDeads) adorning walls and hallways. This is a trait shared with the Shadow Temple of Ocarina of Time as it too was, for all intents and purposes, a large tomb (the "House of the Dead," by name). The temple was constructed of many blocks and tiles, and was riddled with statues related to the fusion of the Sun and Moon, perhaps hinting at the duality of light and darkness, or of day and night. There are also several rooms that have large, scorpion-shaped mirrors, which are used to reflect light onto some of the statues, in order to open the way forward into the temple's deepest recesses.
As Link and Medli make their way through the temple, they will encounter several Sage Stones similar to the one encountered at the entrance, which can only be destroyed when the young duo play together the Earth God's Lyric. The Command Melody is also heavily used by Link in order to control Medli to reach places that Link would otherwise be unable to reach, as well as to use her harp's ability to reflect light. One very important element to completing the temple is the ability to reflect and control the flow of light. This underscores the importance of the temple's primary treasure, the Mirror Shield, in the way that the item is required at certain points, since it may take more than one reflection to proceed forward, as well the fact that the ability to reflect light is key to defeating the evil boss of the temple, Jalhalla.
Minor Enemies and Traps
- In name, the Earth and Wind Temples cover the two elements not already represented by the temples in Ocarina of Time, although in design they are closer to the shadow-themed and forest-themed dungeons.
- "The fact that the Master Sword lost the power to repel evil suggests to me that something has happened to the sages who infused the blade with the gods’ power. The sages should be in Hyrule...in the Wind Temple to the north and the Earth Temple to the south, praying to the gods. You must head for these two temples to see what has happened to the sages and attempt to find a way to recover the power to repel evil. Unfortunately, Ganon seems to have erected some sort of magical barrier down here in Hyrule, blocking our path to the temples. But...each temple should have another entrance high upon Hyrule's mountaintops, which are now islands above the sea." — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker)
- "Hundreds of years passed, and Ganondorf, who should have been sealed at the bottom of the ocean along with Hyrule, was resurrected once again. He gave an order to his minions to attack the Wind and Earth temples, killing the two sages whose prayers gave the Master Sword the ability to destroy evil." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 124)
- "After his defeat at the hands of the Hero of Time, Ganondorf was sealed away...but not for all time." — Laruto (The Wind Waker)
- "He was revived, and he returned to Hyrule in a red wrath. He attacked this temple and stole my soul, knowing that he had to remove the power contained in that enchanted blade." — Laruto (The Wind Waker)
- "In order to return the power to repel evil to your sword, you must find another to take my stead in this temple and ask the gods for their assistance." — Laruto (The Wind Waker)
- "You must find the one who carries on my bloodline... The one who holds this sacred instrument..." — Laruto (The Wind Waker)
- "And if Link presses [A], allow him to lift you, and if need be, fly and carry him through the air." — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker)
- "It seems like the instrument I'm carrying can reflect light! This can help, I think! Instruct me where to reflect the light and use [A] to face my instrument in that direction." — Medli (The Wind Waker)
- "The temple ahead is the nest of an evil creature...the same creature that stole the life of your predecessor, the sage." — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker)
- "The prayers of the Earth Sage have restored the Master Sword's former energy! There is but one last step before it becomes the true Master Sword once again!" — N/A (The Wind Waker)
- "Now, Link... Step into the light behind you and return to the surface. Your next duty is to find the sage of the Wind Temple. I will remain here and continue to pray. You must hurry!" — Medli (The Wind Waker)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||大地の神殿 (Daichi no Shinden)||Earth Temple|
|Spanish||Templo de la Tierra||Earth Temple|
|French||Temple de la Terre||Earth Temple|
|Italian||Santuario della Terra|