Fado (Ocarina of Time)
From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Game(s)||Ocarina of Time|
Fado is the blonde Kokiri standing at the end of the bridges leading from Saria's house in Ocarina of Time. On a previous version of the official Zelda website, the caption under a screenshot of her stated that the game designers gave her the name "Fado" during development though it was never mentioned in the game itself.
Fado seems to have a fascination for the Lost Woods and a bond of sorts with Mido. She also seems to have permanently traded Kokiri Forest for the Lost Woods in the future years. Her behavior is a bit ambiguous as she often reacts in eerie laughter about what fate could befall those wandering into the Lost Woods but at the same time displays childish loyalty and dependency towards Mido.
Seven years into the future, Fado could no longer be found in the village and only showed up during the Biggoron's Sword sidequest. When Link returned to give the medicine to Grog, Fado was there instead of him. She demanded Link give the medicine to her since it was made of forest mushrooms. In return, she handed Link the saw the other guy left behind. Fado mentioned that non-Kokiri who enter the Lost Woods become lost and turn into Stalfos and wondered aloud if Link would turn into one too.
Despite her minor role in Ocarina of Time, Fado has a rather noticeable appearance. She has her own model (which is unusual for any character that's not a Hylian or has an important role), different lines from the other Kokiri, and she mysteriously disappears later on in the game. For all this attention her character was given, she holds no significance to the game whatsoever.
Interestingly, she appears in some of the early Ocarina of Time screenshots and is thereby indicated to be created at about the same time as Saria. On those screenshots, Fado appears to be sitting on the roof of the shop in the Kokiri Forest which in the released version is occupied by the common model Kokiri girl.
Furthermore through investigation into beta Ocarina of Time by various fans, it is known that at one point there was going to be a Wind Temple rather than a Forest Temple in the game, the only remaining hint to that being the wind-themed challenge for the forest barrier in Ganon's Tower. It is currently believed Fado was to be the Sage of Wind, but was scrapped along with the Wind Temple. This seems supported by Nintendo's post-Ocarina of Time tendency to implement unused ideas from one The Legend of Zelda game into another; in this case Fado from The Wind Waker then would be the recycled form of Ocarina of Time Fado.
In February of 2009, Fado's beta model was fully restored by Zeth Alkar of Team Beta Triforce which is the same one that was shown in the pre-release pictures. Her model was then also located in the Zelda 1.0 Gold Cartridge edition which proved false the speculation that her model was removed from the cartridge.
- Unseen64, ZeldaWiki's affiliate in analysis, interpretation, documentation, and discussion of known beta content.
- ↑ Archived version of Zelda64.com
- ↑ "Hee hee hee! You came all the way up here? You're a real man! Look! Isn't this view pretty? Change your viewpoint with (^), so you can look around the forest with (+)." — Fado (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "If you want to go to the Lost Woods, you'd better equip the right gear! Hee hee!" — Fado (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "That medicine is made of forest mushrooms. Give it back!" — Fado (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "That guy isn't here anymore. Except for the Kokiri, people who come into the forest end up lost. They all become Stalfos. That's why he's not here anymore. Only his saw is left. Hee hee." — Fado (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- ↑ "Heh heh heh. Are you going to become one...too? Heh heh!" — Fado (Ocarina of Time 3D)
- ↑ "What did you do to the Great Deku Tree?" — Fado (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Waaaah! I-I'm gonna tell Mido about this!" — Fado (Ocarina of Time) (Response to the Mask of Truth, Goron Mask, or Spooky Mask)
- ↑ "Yeeeeah! I-I'm gonna tell Mido to beat you up!" — Fado (Ocarina of Time) (Response to the Gerudo Mask or Zora Mask)
- ↑ "Whooooah! Are you some kind of forest ghost?" — Fado (Ocarina of Time) (Response to the Skull Mask)
- ↑ "That's so cool! Uh...don't tell Mido I said that!" — Fado (Ocarina of Time) (Response to the Bunny Hood or Keaton Mask)
|Names in Other Regions|