Artwork of the Queen of Fairies in The Wind Waker HD
|Title(s)||Queen of the fairy world|
|Game(s)|| A Link to the Past|
The Wind Waker
Four Swords Adventures
|Era|| Era of the Great Sea|
Era of Shadow
Era of Light and Dark
The Fairy Queen, also sometimes referred to as the Queen Fairy or Queen of Fairies, is the fairy that rules over all of the Fairies and Great Fairies in The Legend of Zelda series. They are known to be much more powerful than the Great Fairies, and as such, they can empower Link with abilities that no Great Fairy can bestow upon the young hero. Various Fairy Queens have appeared throughout the series with their appearances changing drastically between each game.
A Link to the Past
Venus, the Queen of Fairies, lives in the Pond of Happiness located inside a cave on an island in the middle of Lake Hylia. Once inside, Link finds a long hallway leading up to a small pond, the Pond of Happiness, with two statues on each side. The pond asks Link how many Rupees he would like to throw in, which would then tell him whether he would have "good" or "bad" luck. The responses include "Great Luck," "Good Luck," "A Little Luck," and "Big Trouble." For every 100 Rupees Link deposits into the pond, Venus appears and grants the young hero the ability to either carry more Bombs or Arrows, with the maximum being 50 and 70, respectively. The Bomb capacity increases by increments of 5 until Link reaches 40 Bombs, where the capacity will then increase by an increment of 10 Bombs to 50. Likewise, the Arrow capacity increases by increments of 5 until Link reaches 60 Arrows, where the capacity will then increase by an increment of 10 Arrows to 70. After Link has received the maximum carrying capability for both his Bombs and Arrows, Venus will redirect him to a friend of hers, the Waterfall of Wishing fairy, who will grant him even more happiness.
Venus is last seen during the ending credits at her home in the Wishing Well, being named as the Queen of Fairies.
Link's Awakening DX
In Link's Awakening DX, a Great Fairy who is proclaimed as the Fairy Queen can be found within the Link's Awakening DX-exclusive dungeon, the Color Dungeon. She is residing in the last room in a pool, and as thanks for visiting her, she will offer to grant Link the 'power of color' by changing his green tunic into either a Red Tunic or a Blue Tunic. The Red Tunic will increase the offense of Link's weapons, whereas the Blue Tunic will increase his defense against attacks. Link can revisit the Fairy Queen to change between the two tunics, but he can never change back into his green tunic.
Oracle of Ages
The Fairy Queen in Oracle of Ages is known as the guardian of the sea and lives near the Eyeglass Island Library, protecting the waters of the Zora Seas. When Link first meets her, she has been transfigured by Veran into an Octorok, and informs the young hero that only by sprinkling the Fairy Powder on her can she return to her normal appearance. Link finds the powder and uses it on her, restoring her as the Fairy Queen and cleansing the sea of Veran's evil influence.
Curiously, the Fairy Queen from Oracle of Ages has the same appearance as the Great Fairies from this and other portable Zelda games. The only difference between them is their color: the Fairy Queen is red while other Great Fairies are orange.
The Wind Waker
The Queen of Fairies in The Wind Waker is located in the Mother & Child Isles, which can be accessed only by using the Ballad of Gales and after rescuing Aryll from the Forsaken Fortress. She rewards Link with the ability to wield the Fire Arrow and Ice Arrow.
Unlike previous Fairy Queens, she has the voice, appearance, and mannerisms of a child, although it is unknown if this is her true form. She also holds a doll resembling a Great Fairy, which is what she uses to grant the young hero the Fire and Ice Arrows. After the Queen of Fairies hands over the powerful Arrows, she flirts with Link by saying that he is just her type, which causes him to blush.
|Queen of Fairies (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|| Birthplace: Fairy Island.|
Talent: Empowering arrows with fire and ice.
She appears to be but a child, but she is much greater and much more powerful than the Great Fairies. She will grant Link the power to add fire and ice to his arrows.
Four Swords Adventures
The Queen of Fairies also makes a small cameo in Four Swords Adventures during the Hyrule Castle level. She had heard the Shrine Maidens' cries from afar and came to the castle in an attempt to help them, but found that the castle was overtaken by fiends who captured her and split her into two River Zoras. She asks the four Links to find her other half, and when he does, they reunite and reveal themselves to be the Fairy Queen, who easily obliterates the barrier and soldiers guarding the entrance to the castle. As thanks for helping her, the Queen of Fairies promises the four Links to tell the other Great Fairies to help them whenever needed.
Even though the Fairy Queen has a similar appearance as the one from The Wind Waker, she curiously refers to herself as a Great Fairy after she recovers her true form. The power used by the Fairy Queen during the Hyrule Castle level is the first and only time thus far that allows the audience to catch a glimpse of the tremendous power that Fairy Queens possess.
- "I am the queen of the fairy world. What is the matter? Does that no surprise you, child?" — Queen of Fairies (The Wind Waker)
- "Today I have prepared a pictograph of the Queen of Fairies." — Lenzo (The Wind Waker)
- "Please listen, young one! You may not believe this, but I am the Queen Fairy, guardian of this sea! The curse of an evil one named Veran has made me appear so!" — Queen Fairy (Oracle of Ages)
- "She appears to be but a child, but she is much greater and much powerful than the Great Fairies." — Nintendo Gallery Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- "Then I will increase your carrying ability so you can carry 50 Bombs at maximum. This is just a small happiness I can give to you." — Venus (A Link to the Past)
- "Then I will increase your carrying ability so you can carry 70 Arrows at maximum. This is just a small happiness I can give to you." — Venus (A Link to the Past)
- "I cannot grant any more wishes for you, but a friend of mine might be able to... She lives in the Waterfall Of Wishing near Zora's lake. I will return your Rupees to you. May you be happy..." — Venus (A Link to the Past)
- "The fairy queen is waiting for you." — N/A (Link's Awakening DX)
- "Red for offense, blue for defense. Which do you choose?" — Fairy Queen (Link's Awakening DX)
- "The magic of Fairy Powder can turn me back to normal. Veran has poisoned the sea. Soon all living things in it will perish! Please go find some Fairy Powder!" — Fairy Queen (Oracle of Ages)
- "You brought me Fairy Powder! Now I can return to normal! Sprinkle the powder on me! Thank you, young one! Now I can cleanse the seas of evil!" — Fairy Queen (Oracle of Ages)
- "Child...I must tell you... You are just my type. Tee hee hee!" — Queen of Fairies (The Wind Waker)
- "I heard the maidens' cries and came running to find the castle a nest of fiends. They captured me and split me in two. That's why I look so horrible right now. Please, I beg of you. Reunite my two halves! Make me whole again!" — Fairy Queen (Four Swords Adventures)
- "I didn't think I would ever be allowed to reclaim my true form as a Great Fairy again! Thank you so much, brave ones!" — Fairy Queen (Four Swords Adventures)
- "Uh-oh! It looks like those soldiers have noticed us. I'll take care of this!" — Fairy Queen (Four Swords Adventures)
- "So this is the magical barrier that barred your way? Allow me to take care of this." — Fairy Queen (Four Swords Adventures)
- "I'll let all of my friends throughout Hyrule know... "If you run into four travelers with one face, tend to their weariness and ease the burden of their travels!"" — Fairy Queen (Four Swords Adventures)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese|| 女神 (Megami)
妖精の女王 (Yōsei no Joō)
Queen of Fairies
|Spanish||Reina de las Hadas||Queen of the Fairies|
|French||Reine des Fées||Queen of Fairies|
|Italian||Fata Regina||Same as English|