From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
Fi (Pronounced /faɪ/, fy) is a character featured in Skyward Sword who is the humanoid representation of the Goddess Sword. Fi is the spirit within the sword who guides Link during his adventure, serving as the young hero's companion in the game.
History and Abilities
The goddess Hylia created the Goddess Sword and Fi, an intelligent humanoid spirit who resides in the sword, and gave it the purpose of assisting Hylia's chosen hero in fulfilling his destiny of defeating Demise. She then enshrined the sword Inside the Statue of the Goddess before raising it into The Sky as part of Skyloft. Preceding the Wing Ceremony, Fi appears to Link in his dreams, foretelling him of his destiny. After Link and Zelda are attacked by a black tornado, Link wakes up in his room, where he hears Fi speaking to him. Fi guides him to the Statue of the Goddess, further explaining his fate as the chosen hero and encouraging him to draw the Goddess Sword from its pedestal so that Fi can formally acknowledge him as her Master. Fi gives Link the Emerald Tablet and tells the young hero that he must go beneath the clouds in order to find Zelda and fulfill his destiny, with the tablet illuminating the path ahead.
Throughout Link's journey, Fi aids the young hero by providing him with information about the area he is in, the enemies he is facing, and even messages directly from Hylia to Link. The player can tell Link to talk to Fi when he is traveling on foot by pressing down on the D-Pad of the Wii Remote. When done so, Fi will give Link various options to choose from, providing the play time of the current session, the current objective, and advice as to what he should do next, which include a summary of the past few events as well as hints and rumors. In addition, Fi will give Link a basic description of a targeted enemy and its weaknesses. Fi will also tell the hero how many times he has defeated any type of enemy and gives an indication of Link's proficiency in fighting a specific type of enemy. When this is used on Bosses, Fi will usually give a limited supply of information about the enemy's weaknesses to Link. If Link is defeated in the battle, and Fi is once again asked to give advice, more information will be available. Other than enemies and bosses, Fi can also scan people, bugs and locations.  Fi can telepathically talk to people and robots and sense people's auras.
Fi also has a "treasure-seeking ability" called Dowsing. It can sense important people and items and help Link to locate them, acting as a sort of compass. When Link needs to locate a certain person or item, Fi will add a Dowsing option accordingly. The young hero can then choose in the Dowsing menu which specific object or person he wishes to track down. In Dowsing mode, pointing the sword in the general of the target will cause it to beep, which becomes faster as Link approaches the target.
Lastly, Fi also informs Link when his hearts have nearly depleted, as well as pointing out that Link's shield is about to break and when the batteries in the Wii Remote have almost run out.
Whenever Link hits certain Goddess Crests with a Skyward Strike, a message intended for Hylia's chosen hero will awaken deep within Fi's memory. Fi will translate the message for Link while dancing and skating around the room until fully delivering the statement. She will also dance along as Link learns the three songs inside the Isle of Songs. Similarly, playing the Goddess's Harp at points needed to advance in the game will cause Fi to sing along the melody.
After helping Gondo fix Scrapper, Fi is able to persuade the Ancient Robot to assist Link by carrying various items from the surface up to the Sky. Should Link need the assistance of Scrapper, Fi will call Scrapper using telepathic transmission and ask him to transport it above the clouds.
Once Link seals away Demise within the Master Sword, Fi requests that Link end their "necessary relationship" by returning the Master Sword, as her purpose in aiding the chosen hero in his mission is complete. Link thrusts the sword into its pedestal, but Fi calls him back to give a true goodbye, showing emotions for the first time and claiming that their time together was most precious, for she has experienced happiness before falling into an endless sleep. She then thanks Link and hopes that they may meet again in another life as its consciousness fades away into the Master Sword.
Similar to Midna, Fi speaks in a synthesized, gibberish language. Her style of speech is also emotionless and robotic, in contrast to Midna's charismatic voice. Fi has a tendency to predict percentages when analyzing things and determining probability. Fi refers to Link as her master, having recognized him as the chosen hero. Although Fi seems incapable of emotion, as the story goes on, she begins to develop a subtle friendship with Link, learning to cherish the moments they spent together and thanking him before she enters an eternal sleep into the Master Sword.
In an interview, Eiji Aonuma stated that Fi is not female "per se." This would imply that the entity is genderless. However, he does acknowledge that Fi has a feminine figure. Despite this claim, the spirit is referred to as "Mistress Fi" by Scrapper, one of the Ancient Robots, and is referred to in-game using female pronouns.
- Fi originally had a grayer design, somewhat resembling the Fairy Queen from The Wind Waker and Four Swords Adventures. This is because the design drew inspiration from The Wind Waker's Fairy Queen.
- Fi is the counterpart of Ghirahim, as they are both the humanoid forms of swords and have enhanced mental abilities (Fi has telepathy, and Ghirahim has telekinesis).
- Fi has a coloration similar to that of the Master Sword itself. Most of Fi's body is purple, like the sword's hilt (though Fi's legs share the green straps adorning the hilt), and the rest is bluish-white, like the blade. The upper part of Fi's cloak, if examined carefully, makes up the image of the Goddess Sword's crossguard.
- Although Fi is the first appearance in the games of a spirit of the Master Sword, a voice from the sword speaks to Link in the A Link to the Past manga. This voice only speaks when Link first touches the sword, where it states that the hero has arrived to "give me new life in a new time" and commands him to raise the sword high. While the manga is non-canon, it is possible that this influenced the concept of Fi as it predates Skyward Sword by some time.
- Since Fi rests inside the Master Sword for eternity, she technically appears in each Zelda game that has the Master Sword, though there are never any signs of her presence.
Fi appearing to Link after receiving the Beetle in the Skyview Temple
- ↑ "I should provide you with my personal designation. Fi is the name I was given. I was created for a single purpose, long before the recorded memory of your people. I must aid you in fulfilling the great destiny that is your burden to carry." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Link, the goddess created Fi and the great blade she's a part of for very specific reasons." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "First, she created Fi. She made the spirit that resides in your sword to serve a single purpose: to assist her chosen hero on his mission." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Come, Link. You must take up this sword. As the one chosen by my creator, it is your destiny." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "The youth who draws forth the guiding sword shall be known as the goddess's chosen hero, and it is he who possesses an unbreakable spirit. He shall be burdened with the task of abolishing the shadow of apocalypse from the land. Such is his destiny. With the spirit of the blade at his side, he shall soar over the clouds and plummet below... ...And united with the spirit maiden, shall bring forth a piercing light that resurrects the land." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "In the name of my creator, draw the sword and raise it skyward. Recognition complete" — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "This tablet will illuminate a path through the clouds to the land below." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "When you struck the crest with a Skyward Strike from your sword, a message from the goddess awakened deep within my memory. The goddess intended this message for you, Master. These are her words." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "I reside within your sword and will accompany you in your travels. Press (down) to summon me whenever you require my assistance." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Master Link, I have detected Zelda's aura emanating from within this structure." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Yes, Master. I will signal the robot with a telepathic transmission." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Taking this into account, I calculate an 85% probability that your quest will be aided if you find the lost Kikwis for the elder. To expedite your search for these forest-dwelling creatures, I have added Kikwis as a dowsing option." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Your hearts have decreased quite dramatically. Replenish some of your life at the earliest opportunity." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "The integrity of your shield has weakened. Be wary of the remaining durability of this item." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Master, the batteries in your Wii Remote are nearly depleted." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Master, I have a message written in the language of the gods of old. Allow me to translate for you." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Master, I will send word to the robot using telepathic transmission." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "My purpose here is complete. Therefore, I ask you to dissolve our arrangement as master and servant. Drive the sword into the pedestal before you, and I will return to the sword to enter a sleep without end. Master, you have achieved the purpose you were chosen to fulfill. Please, set the sword in the pedestal and bring the goddess's mission to an end. Now, Master. It is time to conclude our necessary companionship." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Link, hear me. My purpose was to obey the command of the goddess and lead you, the chosen hero of this land, on your quest. When I first awoke and began this task, I perceived it as merely serving my function as a servant to Her Grace. However, I have come to consider the information corresponding to our time together among the most precious data I have on record. I do not have the capability to fully understand the human spirit, Link... But now, at the end of my journey with you, as I prepare to sleep within the Master Sword forever, I experience a feeling I am unable to identify. I lack sufficient data to be sure of my conclusion, but I believe this feeling correlates closest to what your people call...happiness." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 "I lack sufficient data to be sure of my conclusion, but I believe this feeling correlates closest to what your people call...happiness. Our partnership is at an end, and even as we speak, I feel my consciousness fading away. Before I enter the sleep that calls me to the sword, I wish to relay to you words that I recorded many times over the course of our journey. Many have said them to you thus far, but I now wish to say them for myself... Thank you, Master [Link]. May we meet again in another life..." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Upgrade detected. Analysis indicates this insect-like item is capable of flight." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "The one chosen by my creator. I have been waiting for you. You will play a role in a great destiny." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "In the name of my creator, draw the sword and raise it skyward. [...] Recognition complete, Master..." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ ""Basically what leads Link on this adventure is the Skyward Sword," said Aonuma. "When that sword is actively guiding Link it actually transforms into a feminine figure. I wouldn't say that it's female per se but it's a feminine figure."" — Skyward Sword is not Princess Zelda - Aonuma, officialnintendomagazine.co.uk
- ↑ "Your name is...Fi? Dzzt! Should I call you Mistress Fi? Are you looking for something, Mistress Fi?" — Scrapper (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "The flames of Nayru have transformed your blade, expanding Fi's powers. She can now help you use your dowsing ability to search for more objects!" — Upon retrieving Nayru's Flame (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Link, the goddess created Fi and the great blade she's a part of for very specific reasons." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ "Definition of Fi: The solmization syllable used for the semitone between the fourth and fifth degrees of a scale." — , Dictionary.com
- ↑ "Recognition complete... Master. Link... my master." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- ↑ Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 12
- ↑ "Since the spirit of the Goddess Sword would eventually become the Master Sword, there were many design components taken from the Master Sword and implemented as motifs here. […] There were so many designs, from the robot to the lady cat burglar, but once we saw the Wind Waker inspired design, we came to a unanimous decision." — Ryuji Kobayashi, design leader for Skyward Sword (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 13)
- ↑ "The prophesied child awakens me. He gives me new life in a new time. I mark you as my bearer, you and only you. Draw me from the pedestal and raise me high. Raise me high!" (The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (VIZ Media), pg. 100)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ファイ (Fai)||Phonetic transliteration for Phi|
|German||Phai||Transliteration of Japanese name|
|Italian||Faih||Transliteration of Japanese name|