|Race|| Hylian (ALttP)|
|Game(s)|| A Link to the Past|
A Link Between Worlds
|Era||Era of Light and Dark|
Duck (pet bird)
|Counterpart(s)||Spear Boy (Lorulean)|
The Flute Boy is a recurring character in the Zelda series.
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, the Flute Boy's Father can be found in the tavern in Kakariko Village and tells Link that his son went off in search of the Golden Power and never returned. When Link visits the Kakariko Village Inn, he is told by the Innkeeper how the Flute Boy had a pet bird who flew with him everywhere and how they went to Death Mountain but never returned. Link sees an apparition of the boy playing the Flute for the woodland animals of the Haunted Grove in the Light World, but the apparition disappears as Link approaches. This happens every time Link enters the Haunted Grove prior to finding the Flute.
Later on when Link enters the Dark World equivalent of the Haunted Grove, he finds the Flute Boy transformed into a strange creature as a result of the Golden Power's effects. The Flute Boy tells Link that he buried his flute with some flower seeds in the Light World's Haunted Grove, says that he wants to see the grove again, and asks Link to search for it. When Link agrees to his request, the Flute Boy then gives him the Shovel so Link can dig it up. After Link finds the Flute and brings it back to him in the Dark World, the Flute Boy says he can't play it anymore, asks him to give it to a tired old man in Kakariko Village, meaning his father, and asks to hear its melody one more time. When Link plays the Flute, the boy petrifies into a tree and his apparitions cease to exist in the Light World.
When Link brings the Flute to the Flute Boy's father, the man understands what has happened to his son and asks Link to keep it. He asks Link to play the Flute in front of the Weathercock in the center of Kakariko Village. When Link proceeds to comply with his request, the Flute Boy's pet bird breaks out of the Weathercock and flies off. Whenever Link plays the Flute in the Light World overworld from that point forward, the pet duck can transport him to one of 8 locations. The Flute is instrumental in reaching the sixth Dark World dungeon, the Misery Mire.
During the game's ending, the Flute Boy is shown back in his normal form, reunited with his father and playing again for the forest creatures in the Haunted Grove after Link reverses Ganon's evil wishes.
A Link Between Worlds
In A Link Between Worlds, the Flute Boy is a taciturn resident of the Kakariko Village Milk Bar. He refuses to speak to strangers, but is willing to play various songs for Link with his flute for a fee of 10 Rupees.
A list of the songs that he plays can be found here.
- The Flute Boy from A Link to the Past shares many similarities with the Skull Kid from Ocarina of Time: they both play music with a flute in the woods and disappear when Link approaches them. The Flute Boy may have served as a prototype or concept for Skull Kid.
- The Deku Butler's Son from Majora's Mask also shares several similarities with the Flute Boy from A Link to the Past. Both characters have fathers who are concerned for their well-being, and both characters become trees when they pass away.
- Zeffa is a blue bird that warps Link to any one of the 8 Wind Crests scattered across the overworld, similarly to the Flute Boy's pet duck, when summoned by using the Ocarina of Wind in The Minish Cap.
- In A Link to the Past, the "flute" that he Flute Boy plays is actually an Ocarina.
- "My son really liked to play the flute, but he went to search for the Golden Power and never returned." — Flute Boy's Father (A Link to the Past)
- "He had a pet bird that went with him everywhere, but he went to the mountain and never returned." — Innkeeper (A Link to the Past)
- "After wandering into this world I turned into this shape." — Flute Boy (A Link to the Past)
- "But it looks like I can't play my flute any more. Please take it." — Flute Boy (A Link to the Past)
- "If by chance you go to the village I lived in, please give it to a tired old man." — Flute Boy (A Link to the Past)
- "Please let me hear the sound of the flute one last time..." — Flute Boy (A Link to the Past)
- "It's like I told you, pal. He doesn't like strangers. Just the way it is." — Bard (A Link Between Worlds)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Petit flûtiste||Little flutist|