Glitches in Ocarina of Time
From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
See Help:Images for assistance. Please remember to remove this template once the image(s) have been added.
These tricks can usually be used anywhere, and are many times essential to doing glitches further down this page, in addition to many other miscellaneous uses.
- Effect: Disable Link's clipping with certain objects, allowing for sequence breaking.
- Prerequisites: Any Nintendo64 version of the game.
- How to: Slowly and carefully lift the left side of the game cartridge out of the system until Link either disappears or begins to appear glitched. This has many uses, including bypassing Mido to reach the Deku Tree without the sword and shield and bypassing the Kokiri guarding the forest exit to leave the forest without the Spiritual Stone of Forest.
- WARNING! This can cause permanent damage to your cartridge, and can result in the loss of game data! Take extreme caution when performing this glitch.
Power Crouch Stab
- Effect: Has the same power as your last attack.
- Prerequisites: Have Kokiri sword, Master Sword, Biggoron's sword, Deku stick or Megaton Hammer and a shield (cannot use Hylian shield as child).
- How To: Do an attack (best with a jumpslash) then press R to use your shield and B/Megaton Hammer/Deku stick to attack. It will have the same power as your last attack. i.e., use a jumpslash with a deku stick then Power Crouch Stab with your Kokiri Sword and it will have the power of a Deku Stick jumpslash without the loss or a deku stick of the time wasted between attacks.
- Notes: This is useful for inflicting large amounts of damage in a short amount of time. It can be used to beat Gohma in only 5 seconds and many other uses. Also worth noting, if you do attack with the Megaton Hammer then Power Crouch Stab with the Master sword/Biggoron's sword, it will have the same effects of the hammer, including breaking rocks and activating rusty switches.
- Effect: Varies depending on where it is used-can vary from nothing to access to the Bottom of the Well as an adult.
- Prerequisites: A sword.
- How to: Find one of the following corners and walk into it straight on.
- Zora's Domain: The bottom corner to the immediate right of King Zora. (Adult only)
- Great Deku Tree's Meadow: Anti-clockwise around one side until you reach the first area enclosed by roots.
- Kakariko Village (1): The corner made by the side of the general store/young boy's house and the closest rock wall.
- Kakariko Village (2): As you enter Kakariko Village from the Graveyard, it is on the edge of the "stone tunnel" closest to the Graveyard.
- Kakariko Village (3): As you enter the "secret area" with two Cuccos as a child, position yourself on the left side of the ladder leading to the Potion Shop.
- Kokiri Forest: As you exit from the Kokiri Shop, face towards the Great Deku Tree and jump into the water in front of you. Go to the corner where it meets the edge of the wall and ends. (Adult Only)
As you walk DIRECTLY into one of the above corners, draw the sword and hold Z. Push forward on the Analog Stick and press A to preform a jump attack. If done correctly, Link will move through the wall, into the void in some cases.
- Notes: If this glitch is done in Zora's Domain, Link MUST have the Iron Boots. If he walks to the end of the platform, you can remove the Iron Boots, jump, land in invisible water, and ultimately gain access under Zora's Domain's ice. If Adult Link Longshots to the second floor of the Kakariko Windmill, grabs the cucco, and floats to the 4th corner listed and places down the cucco, you can preform the glitch, grab the cucco, and float to the Bottom of the Well as an adult. If the glitch is attempted as Child Link on the 3rd corner listed, you can access the General Store as a child.
Infinite Sword Glitch
- Effect: Makes your sword attack endlessly
- Prerequisites: Have sword, Deku Sticks or Megaton Hammer. Be around something/someone that can be interacted with using an A command (e.g., Speak, grab, open(chest, not door)read, etc.). If there is nothing to interact with, you can also use bombs, since they can be grabbed, but it is harder.
- How To: Align yourself so you are near the object and can see the action icon. Press R to shield and B to stab (some things you will need to move your shield to the right/left so you won't stab it and be moved backwards so that the action icon no longer shows). While in mid-stab (to be precise, while the sword is receding), press the A button to activate the action. The blade will be glowing white while the interaction takes place if you've done it right. This will cause the sword to attack anything it touches, even while running.
- Notes: You won't be able to fall or jump off ledges. If you attack with your Sword/Deku Stick/Megaton Hammer, defend with shield without pressing Z, walk on a slippery slope, swim in water, enter a cutscene/new area, or are damaged while standing still the glitch will stop. If you do this glitch with a Power Crouch Stab, your infinite sword will have the same power as your last attack. Very useful on bosses, notably Twinrova and Ganondorf.
Infinite Deku Stick glitch
Effect: Makes a Deku stick not break after its use.
Prerequisites: A Deku Stick
How to: Take out the Deku stick and perform a Jump Attack at the wall at a slight angle. If done correctly, the Deku stick should hit the wall twice and the top half will break off. However, Link will still be carrying the broken portion. The broken portion of the stick can be used normally but will not break. Another method is to enter Jabu Jabu's Belly and get electrocuted by anything while holding a Deku Stick. The top part of the stick will break off, but the bottom will stay. Notes: the broken Deku stick can not be used to light torches and will turn back in to a regular Deku stick if put away. Performing this glitch consumes one Deku stick. If done with only 1 Deku stick remaining, then you won't be able to swing it, but you can still perform a Jump Attack.
- Effect: Link can run through enemies, boxes, rocks and stationary boulders as if he were carving straight through them.
- Prerequisites: Giant's Knife/Biggoron's Sword, Megaton Hammer, Knowledge of the "Power Crouch Stab glitch" and the "Infinite Sword Glitch".
- How to: Method 1: Works almost the same as the Infinite Sword glitch. Find an object to interact with, (speak, etc.) (Best place to try this is at the base of Death mountain just as you come out of Kakariko Village, Immediately turn around and the is a sign and there are boulders on the path if you haven't broken them already). Swing the hammer, making sure not to destroy the object you interact with, then draw the big sword (Do Not Swing), crouch in front of the sign (or object) by holding R and jab (B) while you are drawing back from the stab press A. If done properly the sword will begin to glow and everything you interact with while have the same effect as if you had struck it with the hammer, therefore giving the illusion that link is unstoppable when you run through enemies and boulders.
- Method 2: Find an object to interact with. Swing the hammer, making sure not to destroy the object you interact with. Crouch in front of the sign (or object) by holding R and jab (B) while you are drawing back from the stab press A. After the hammer begins to glow, switch to a sword that doesn't require you to swing when you draw it. That sword should begin to glow.
- Note: If you climb onto a box you will be stuck until you disable the glitch (see below) or you can back-flip/Side-jump off of certain ledges/objects, you cannot "leap" from most ledges. The effects of this trick stop when you leave the area/room, swing a sword, use the shield, enter a cutscene, or swim, among a few other things. Walking on some ledges or major terrain creases will get you stuck. If you sheath your sword it will still cause damage to object that touch the sheath, so you can cut grass and hover in mid-air, and if you jump on a box with it sheathed you will be in mid air.
- Effect: Hover in air and gain lots of height/distance
- Prerequisites: Activate the Infinite Sword Glitch.
- How To: Go to any ledge and stand with your back to it. Drop a bomb in front of you, and do a back flip, then pull out your shield to defend against the blast. You will get knocked back, but be hovering in mid-air.
- Effect: Hover in midair and gain lots of height/distance
- Prerequisites: Activate the Infinite Sword Glitch, Bombchu's
- How To: Go to any ledge and stand with your back to it. Do a backflip, and while in midair, quickly take out a bombchu and shield right after. The bombchu will explode instantly. You will hover in midair unharmed if done right.
- NOTES: Most people find that this technique is much, much easier than the Bomb Hover, because you don't have to time when the bomb will explode.
- Effect: Makes Link preform a small jump that can reach grabable ledges previously too high for Link to grab
- Prerequisites: Have a Bomb and shield
- How To: Place a bomb in front of you. Go backwards a little bit, but not too far and make sure the action icon still says "grab". Now take out your sword, press and hold Z and R then press A to grab it, but Link won't grab it because you are holding Z and R. Now wait until the bomb blows up and it will push you back a bit. All of your buttons are now disabled exept Z, R, pause and A. To perform the jump, just attempt to do a backflip (Z + back on the contron stick + A) and Link will jump. *Uses: It sounds useless, but is actually quite useful. A good place to use it is in the main room of Dodongo's Cavern on the right side. Use the bomb flower there to activate Ground Jump, then jump up to the ledge right about it. It skips a very large portion of the dungeon.
- Effect: Travel at an extremely fast speeds.
- Prerequisites: Can range from only a shield to Nayru's Love and bombs.
- How To: There are 3 ways to do this.
You must be near a pick up-able item (e.g. grass, rock) and have an enemy nearby. Have the enemy be near the item then press Z and R and roll into the item so that the action icon "attack" changes to "grab" then press A while still in mid roll to "grab the item. When you start to come up from the roll, if the enemy hits your shield, it should activate the superslide. You will be going backwards extremely fast and will not end until you let go of R (letting go of Z is fine).
By far the easiest way to do it. All you have to do is put on Nayru's Love and then just follow the steps in Ground Jump and you'll go flying back.
Probably the hardest, but most useful. Do a backflip, then in mid-backflip pull out a bomb and press R to drop it. It should be far enough away so that the action icon does not say "grab". Near the end of the bombs fuse, about 1/2 a second after it starts flashing rapidly, mash the A button. You will roll and should "grab" the bomb but not actually grab it. If you timed it right it will blow up when you get up and you will superslide.
- Notes: Superslides can usually clip into <90 degree angles.
Damage Boosted Jump
- Effect: Gain height on a jump using a bomb or bombchu (similar to Rocket Jumping in Quake).
- Prerequisites: Equip bombs/bombchu.
- How To: Bombs: Take out a bomb. Hold it. Let it run almost to its end, then press Z+R to release it. ' The bomb will explode beneath you.
Bombchu: take out a bombchu. Hold Z. Run off the ledge then quickly press R to shield drop it and it will automatically explode. Press B quickly after pressing R for a slightly higher boost.
- Notes: Pressing B just after the bomb is dropped will add even more height. With a bombchu, the bomb will explode automatically when dropped.
- Effect: Very large jump
- Prerequisites: Bomb, hover boots
- How To: Go near any ledge that you can jump off of. Place a bomb behind you then go to the edge of the ledge. After it explodes, try to pause the second Link starts to jump off, Link's legs should still be "touching" the ledge. Quickly switch to the hover boots. If you did it right, you will do a very long jump.
This can be used to get across the broken bridge in Gerudo Valley without the hookshot, among some other uses.
- Effect: Backflip or sidehop very far at high speed
- Prerequisites: Bomb, Shield, sometimes Nayru's Love
- How To: Put on Nayru's love. Place a bomb in front of you then press Z and R to shield while standing up. When the bomb explodes, it will start to push you back, this is your time to press back on the control stick and A to backflip. You will backflip very far, very fast.
Sequence breaking is doing something out of the order the game was meant to be played. This can include getting items early and skipping items or entire parts of the game.
Get Golden Scale early
- Effect: Get the Golden Scale early as child
- Prerequisites: Access to Lake Hylia, 20 rupees.
- How To: Go to the Fishing Pond. Catch a fish that will beat the current record, but do not talk to the fisherman yet. Swim to the center of the pond, and make sure Navi isn't hovering over a fish. Press R+Z, and you should be face down, looking into the water. While holding the buttons, swim over to the fisherman. Press A to talk to him (still holding R+Z) and have him weigh the fish. He will give you the Golden Scale.
- Notes: Many people believe you cannot get the heart piece if you do this glitch. This is false. If you want the heart piece, just catch a fish that beats the record you set with the gold scale glitch with at least a 10 pounder. If you used a 10 pounder for the glitch, you will need to catch the Hylian Loach. Another note, you can use this to beat Jabu Jabu's Belly directly after leaving Kokiri Forest.
Get Silver Gauntlets early
- Effect: Gain the Silver Gauntlets before you're supposed to have them. (This has a side effect of being able to access the Gerudo Fortress and Haunted Wasteland as a child).
- Prerequisites: Have access to Gerudo Valley. Be Child Link.
- How To: Grab the cucco by Gerudo Valley. Go to the far end of the bridge and find the small support beam that sticks up. Jump to it and align yourself diagonally with the gate. Make sure the guards are a safe distance away. Run along the edge of the post and align yourself at the very last second before you jump off. When just about to hit it, press B to jump attack, and you should be on top of the gate. Jump down and get away from the guards before you're caught. You now have access to the fortress and wasteland. Climb the ladder next to the second gate, and turn around to face the ladder at the top. Align yourself to make a side jump to the left. Get as close to the ladder as possible and jump to the side. You should land on the cliff close by. Walk past the gate and jump down on the other side (if you go to far on the cliff, you'll fall into nothingness). In the wasteland, go to the far end of the quicksand. Cross the quicksand using the backward walk (Z+back). It is fast enough to avoid sinking. Head to the boxes, then follow the flags to the monument. From here, you must have the path through the wasteland memorized. Make your way to the Desert Colossus.
- Notes: Before entering the Spirit Temple to obtain the Silver Gauntlets, enter the temple, and exit again to learn the Requiem of Spirit.
Early Access to Shadow Temple
- Effect: Enter the Shadow Temple without Din's Fire, Lens of Truth, or Nocturne of Shadow, as early as becoming an adult.
- Prerequisites: Have a magic bean. Be Child Link.
- How To: As a child, plant a magic bean in the graveyard. Return as an adult and use the platform to access the ledge with a crate and a heart piece. Stand on top of the crate with your back to the graveyard (do not destroy it). Perform the Bomb Blast Jump glitch to get to the ledge you see before you. Land on the edge, and move slowly towards the "seam". Follow it carefully until you are over the entrance to the torch chamber and side jump into the chamber. You should land in the chamber, but the torches and seal will not be there, giving you access to the temple.
Enter Ice Cavern as child
- Effect: Enter the Ice Cavern as a child.
- Prerequisites: Have a slingshot, bombs, bombchu, and a shield. Have access to Lord Jabu-Jabu.
- How To: Hop on the railing to the left of Lord Jabu-Jabu. Perform the Ever-attacking Sword glitch with a bomb (remember to toss it before it explodes). Stand on the middle of the railing and press Z. Pull out the slingshot and aim it slightly upwards. Fire the seed, pull out a bombchu, backflip, drop the bombchu and raise your shield simultaneously. This should have the same effect as the Bomb Hover glitch. Repeat until you get to the rock face behind you. Then simply run into the ice cavern. The ground will give out when close, and you will fall through to it. The entrance to the cavern will be below you, so jump and slash to land on the floor.
Enter the Water Temple Anytime
- Effect: Gain access to the Water Temple as either Adult or Child Link.
- Prerequisites: Have access to Lake Hylia.
- How To: Let yourself flow down the river that begins at the Northwest corner of your map. Face east. As you fall down the waterfall, perform a midair jumping attack at the wall. This will put you on the other side of the wall, but you will still be swimming. Move North slowly. You will start falling. Get to the appropriate height (Low enough) to swim under the water temple, and move South, this will enable to swim again. Swim under the Water Temple while holding B, and get close to the enterance. The screen will fade out as if you entered a new area. You will be in the Water Temple.
- Notes: If you let yourself fall too far, you will die.
Skip the Forest Temple, Water Temple, and Fire Temple
- Effect: Skip the Forest Temple, Water Temple, and Fire Temple.
- Prerequisites: Same for Early Access to Shadow Temple and Get Silver Gauntlets early.
- How To: Do the Early Access to Shadow Temple to defeat the Shadow Temple and Get Silver Gauntlets early to defeat the Spirit Temple. The game will assume you've beaten the other temples as well.
- Notes: If you go into the Forest Temple to get the bow, you now have enough to defeat the game.
Skip breaking the seal in Ganon's Castle
- Effect: Skip the temple rooms in Ganon's Castle to break the seal in the middle.
- Prerequisites: Have access to Ganon's Castle.
- How To: Enter the Spirit room. Grab the Armos Statue located in front of you, to the right. Drag it to the right of the door. Face the corner of the statue and wall and jump attack it from close range. Continue doing this until you break through the wall. You'll be in the main room, but you'll only see the room you came from, and the magic beams from each mini-dungeon that make the magic barrier. Use the beams to align yourself with the bridge to the sealed door and cross over. The magic barrier will not be there, so you can walk through.
- Notes: The magic sealing beams may not always load (about a 66% success rate). If the beams aren't there, try looking for the carpet in front of the exit by listening for the sound of your footfalls.
Skip the Deku Tree
- Effect: Escape Kokiri Forest without completing the Deku Tree.
- Prerequisites: Have the Kokiri Sword, a Deku Shield, and knowledge of the Infinite Sword Glitch.
- How To: Go to the exit of Kokiri Forest and position yourself at the right corner of it (where the sign is). Then slightly angle yourself left so that if you would stab with your sword you would get knocked backwards (you're facing away from the person who's blocking the exit). Once you're positioned correctly, activate the infinite sword glitch using the person blocking the exit. If done right, you will get knocked back into the person. Now go all the way through him so that you're in the log where you can exit. He will still be blocking you, but by moving towards the corner of the log slowly, the person will be on the top of the log. If he's on the left side, slowly move left. If he's on the right side, slowly move right. If done correctly, he will fall through the ground. Now you can exit Kokiri Forest.
- Notes: This glitch takes patience to perform. If he doesn't fall through the ground, try moving closer to him and try to make him fall again. Be careful, if you re-enter the forest, you will have to do this glitch again to get out. IF you have the Zora Scale/Golden Scale, you can leave through the Lost Woods.
Alternate Method 1
Link can also leave the forest early on the Nintendo64 version of the game through use of the crooked cartidge glitch. Go to the exit of the forest and stand by the left side. Perform the crooked cartidge glitch and start walking towards the exit on the left side, and Link should clip through the Kokiri guarding the exit. Once inside, the Kokiri may block Link's path again, although he can be bypassed by moving to the right side and going up the slope on the side of the exit.
Alternate Method 2
Another way to leave the forest early is to go to the crawl space which leads to the area containing the Kokiri Sword. Equip Deku Nuts to any C-button and have Link crawl into the space, then exit. While the screen still has the black bars at the top and bottom, quickly have Link read the sign. Once he reads the sign, press the button to which you assigned the Deku Nuts. If done correctly, Link will toss a Deku Nut and he will be able to move while still reading the text. Attempt to walk Link to the log at the exit and the Kokiri guarding it will not load, allowing Link to pass through.
- Notes: This is extremely difficult and requires a lot of patience because it's hard to judge where Link is, since the camera stays fixed on the sign. If you hold Z (or L if playing on the Gamecube), Navi will fly in the direction where Link currently is, allowing for a rough estimate of his position.
Enter Deku Tree Without Sword and Shield
- Effect: Enter the Deku Tree without the Sword and Shield.
- Prerequisites: Requires the Nintendo64 version of the game.
- How to: Go to the entrance to the Deku Tree's meadow. Stand on the left side of Mido and activate the Crooked Cartidge Glitch. Walk into the left side of the passage and Link should clip through Mido.
- Notes: This has no practical use, as Link will have no means of defending himself inside the Deku Tree without the sword, thus making the dungeon impossible to complete. It is also possible to skip Mido as an Adult Link instead of playing Saria's Song for him, although this again has no practical use unless you used glitches to become Adult Link without learning Saria's Song. As with all glitches using the crooked cartridge, this can permanently damage your game and corrupt your save data.
Fight Ganon as Child Link
- Effect: Face Ganon as child Link.
- Prerequisites: Defeat Gohma and have at least one bottle with a fish or bug inside
- How to: Go to the room where Link fought Gohma and release your bottled fish or bug. Then immediately catch it again so Link is holding the bottle. Perform the glitch which allows Link to play his sword like an ocarina while backflipping into the warp which takes Link outside. You must do this so Link is on the very edge of the warp and not in the center. If done incorrectly, Link will simply warp outside. If you've done it correctly, the warp sequence should play without Link actually warping. Wait until the sequence fully completes, and then quickly stop playing and move to the door. After about five seconds or so, Link will warp outside. Try to time it so that you enter the door at the exact time when the sequence begins. If you did it correctly, Link should appear in a crumbling Ganon's Tower. Go through the only door to find Link atop Ganon's Tower with Ganondorf defeated. The normal cutscene will play and Link will have to escape the tower with Zelda. Once outside, Link will be able to fight Ganon while still a child.
- Notes: Even though Link will not be holding the Master Sword, when Ganon knocks his sword away it becomes the Master Sword. Likewise, when Link retrieves it, he will appear to be holding the Kokiri sword. In addition, when Link deals the final blow to Ganon, he will sound like adult Link. Also, Ganon is vulnerable to Deku Sticks, which seem to actually do about as much damage as the Biggoron's Sword to him.
Various glitches that come from the Swordless Link Glitch.
Swordless Link 1
- Effect: Make Link lose his sword.
- Prerequisites: Have version 1.0 of Ocarina of Time. Be at the final boss battle with Ganon.
- How To: Get to the point where Ganon knocks the Master Sword out of your hand. Save the game and restart. Link will have no sword equipped. A sword can be reequiped from the start menu.
Swordless Link 2
- Effect: Make Link lose his sword.
- Prerequisites: Have version 1.0 of Ocarina of Time. Be at the fishing pond with the fishing pole. Equip Hover Boots.
- How To: Run onto the water with the hover boots. While hovering, cast the line. Reel it in. You can now leave the fishing pond with the rod. Go outside. Jump into the lake. Pause. Unpause. Link will be swordless.
- Notes: Do not press B outside the fishing pond while the rod is still equipped. The game will freeze if you do.
Swordless Link 3
- Effect: Make Link lose his sword.
- Prerequisites: Be at the final boss battle with Ganon.
- How To: Get to the point where Ganon knocks the Master Sword out of your hand. Do the play items as ocarina glitch and play the Sun's Song. This will restart the battle, with an unselected Master Sword in inventory. Do the ocarina glitch again, and play any warp song. You'll warp away, leaving the battle. Link will be swordless.
- Notes: You can play any warp song instead of the Sun's Song, and you will also end up swordless, but there will not be a sword in inventory. This can be fixed by traveling back and forth in time.
Use Items on Epona
- Effect: Use any C-items while riding Epona.
- Prerequisites: Enact any of the Swordless Link bugs. Have Epona.
- How To: After you become swordless, the game will allow you to ride Epona and use the C-items at the same time.
- Notes: Use the Ocarina while on Epona. You will drop to the ground inside the horse. Stop playing, and you will be able to "remote control" Epona.
- Effect: Hover around.
- Prerequisites: Activate the Use Items on Epona glitch. Have the hookshot.
- How To: While on Epona, hookshot to any point it will stick. Instead of flying to the place you used hookshot at, you and the hookshot will stay in place. If you then press A to get off Epona, you will start hovering at about the elevation of the hookshot point. You can then move about freely in the air, in some places like Gerudo Valley, you can even fly out of bounds.
- Notes: Touching land will make link unable to move and you will have to restart, though you can still pause and save if you need to. Moving yourself into the river, or any water, will cancel this effect. You can also cancel this effect by making link touch the point where the hookshot is stuck which will cause link to do a large "super" jump. If you stay very close to the hookshot point, Link will bob up and down slowly, then faster. If you touch the hookshot point while bobing, you will do a much larger super jump than without it.
Purple Haze Over Lon Lon Ranch
- Effect: An unexplainable purple fog covers the Ranch for a short while and everything is silhouetted within it.
- Prerequisites: Ocarina, Song of Storms, Epona, Activate the Use Items on Epona glitch.
- How To: During the day, go to Lon Lon Ranch with Epona and accept Malon's Obstacle Course Challenge. In the middle of it, pull out your Ocarina while still on Epona and play the Song of Storms.
- Effect: Make Link Become a Zombie.
- Prerequisites: Activate the Use Items on Epona glitch. Have Zora Tunic, Iron Boots and Hookshot.
- How To: Go to Lake Hylia and get on Epona. Play the Ocarina to get back off of her. Then equip the Zora Tunic and Iron Boots and go underwater. When you're submerged and touching the bottom, press A to remount Epona. The game still believes you're underwater. Go over to the Scarecrow, stop, get out the Hookshot and fire at the fence behind it. Now, take off the Zora Tunic and wait for the timer to run out. It will then go to the death scene, but you won't die. Dismount and you are now able to walk around, even though you are dead.
Random Glitches that don't belong in any other categories.
Swimming underneath Lake Hylia
- Effect: Gets you under the Zora's Domain ice, going out of bounds, etc.
- Prerequisites: Iron Boots, Water Temple completed
- How to: This glitch is very simple. Simply go behind the opened iron grate underwater that leads to the Water Temple, and stop behind it but before you enter the temple. Uneqiup the Iron Boots. Link will float through the ceiling and be under Lake Hylia, swimming.
- Notes: To avoid floating through the ground, constantly take off and put on the Iron Boots to be at the correct altitude.
Use Ocarina in Lava
- Effect: Use an Ocarina in instant death lava in Death Mountain Crater.
- Prerequisites: Access to Death Mountain Crater, a bottled Fairy, and any ocarina.
- How to: First, enter Death Mountain Crater without your Goron Tunic. This allows the "death timer" to start. Next, walk towards any edge near lava. Now, wait until the timer turns red. Prepare to jump. As soon as there is 1-2 seconds left, jump. Once the timer runs out, your hearts should all disappear in mid-jump. Link will die on the lava, and will not reset. His fairy will come out at this point. Once the fairy is almost done with healing Link, start mashing the ocarina button. If timed right, he will pull out his ocarina.
Skip the Shadow Temple Stalfos
- Effect: Skip the minibosses on the Shadow Temple ship.
- Prerequisites: Have access to the boat on floor B4 on the Shadow Temple, have Din's Fire.
- How to: Go to the boat in the Shadow Temple, and play Zelda's Lullaby to start it moving. Eventually, two Stalfos will land on the boat and start attacking you. Once you have them both in close range, cast Din's Fire so it hits them both. They will take damage, and will stay still as the boat moves, causing them to pass through the floor of it and disappear altogether, without respawning.
Swim on waterfalls
- Effect: Do the swimming motion while on waterfalls.
- Prerequisites: Have access to Gerudo Valley.
- How to: Go to the bridge at Gerudo Valley (as Adult Link) and jump off the bridge. Just before the river drops you down the waterfall, press up on the control stick. As Link goes down the waterfall, he will be doing the swimming motion, and the airbubbles will also appear. Once the angle is right, you will even be able to see ripples on the base of the waterfall.
Fall Through the Ground
- Effect: Fall through the ground perpetually until you reach the other area.
- Prerequisites: Have access to Castle Town.
- How To: Be near the border between one area and another (such as Hyrule Field and Castle Town. Walk onto the chain of the drawbridge, and wait for nightfall for it to rise. Walk onto it and face the castle, then pass over the border while falling. You will fall through the earth while the game transitions you to the next area. If you climb up the chains all the way during the day and jump off to the left, you will get a red Rupee and fall through the ground while the game transitions you to the town.
Fall Off the World
- Effect: Fall through a wall.
- Prerequisites: Have access to the Lost Woods bridge. Have a bottle of bugs.
- How To: Pour some bugs into the soft soil near the bridge. He should be on the edge. Kill him, and roll into him. The game will display the message regarding the Skulltula Token in mid-roll. You will then roll off the edge.
- Effect: Stick Navi at the altar in the Temple of Time
- Prerequisites: Be Adult Link. Be at the Temple of Time. Have all three gems on the altar. Equip the Ocarina of Time.
- How To: Stand between the Goron Ruby and the Zora Sapphire. Face the Kokiri Emerald and press A. Pull out your Ocarina and play Saria's Song. Talk to her and jump down. Navi will be trapped on the altar. Walk away from her and everything will be dark.
Enter Ganon's Castle Exterior
- Effect: Enter Ganon's Castle (not the interior temple, but behind the wall of the exterior).
- Prerequisites: Have all sages freed. Have the light bridge to the castle up. Equip Hookshot.
- How To: There is a small dirt ledge to the right of the doorway into the castle. Jump to it and take out the hookshot. There is a dark portion of the wall that is "hookshot-enabled". Hookshot to it. If you get the right angle, you will fall on the other side of the wall. You can look inside, but can't really do anything but fall into the lake of lava.
Gohma Game Freeze
- Effect: Freeze the game irreparably.
- Prerequisites: Be fighting Queen Gohma.
- How To: Use a Deku Nut on Queen Gohma. The game will freeze, and you'll have to reset.
- Notes: This glitch was only in the earlier versions and has been repaired in further distributions, including the GameCube re-releases.
Unbreakable (half) Deku Stick
- Effect: Have an an invincible Deku Stick as long as you are holding it. The game will not take a Deku Stick out of the inventory.
- Prerequisites: Have a Deku Stick. Find a ledge with a nearby wall.
- How To: Take out a Deku Stick. While facing the wall, jump off the ledge with the stick in your hand. While in midair, press the Deku Stick button to do a jump attack. The stick will hit the wall and break, but you will be left with a half deku stick in your hand.
Non-Magic Consuming Lens of Truth
- Effect: Use the Lens of Truth without consuming magic.
- Prerequisites: Have the Lens of Truth. Know the Song of Storms.
- How To: Play the Song of Storms. Once it completes, quickly activate the Lens of Truth. It won't be using magic power.
- Effect: Play items as if they were an ocarina
- Prerequisites: Have a bottled fish or bug. Have one other equippable item.
- How To: Assign the bottle and other item to the C-buttons. Release the fish/bug and catch it again. Do a backflip. While in the air, press the button for the bottle, then the button for the other item. If done right, Link will hold the other item up to his mouth like an ocarina. You can play it just like one too.
- Notes: If you use Deku Nuts, the Lens of Truth or any item with 0 ammo (with the exception of bow and slingshot) as the other item, the game will erase the item and replace it with your bottled bug/fish instead of playing it as an item. Will not work on claim check, Din's Fire, Farore's Wind, Nayru's Love, Zelda's Letter, or Magic Beans. See also Infinite Lon-Lon Milk glitch.
Bottles are so last year
- Effect: Makes bottles disappear
- Prerequisites: Sword, Bottle, Shield
- How To: Do the first two steps in "Ocarina Items" (take a fish out, put it back in). Now, activate the "Infininte Sword" glitch. Take the item out of the bottle, and you'll notice that there is no bottle; the item falls out of nowhere. If you put it back in, it goes back to the void. To deactivate this glitch, just pull your sword out.
Infinite Skulltula Tokens
- Effect: Gain an undepletable number of Skulltula Tokens
- Prerequisites: Have boomerang. Have bombs or learned Song of Storms
- How To: Find the grotto by Hyrule Castle with a Golden Skulltula. Play the Song of Storms and the grotto will open. Bomb one of the walls to find the skulltula. Kill it with the slingshot and target the token with the boomerang. Throw the boomerang. As it comes back, step back into the light that returns you to the upper world. There will be a message saying you got the token, but it will be cut short. When you have control again, you'll have the token and if you go back in, the skulltula will still be there.
Go to the Bottom of the Well as Adult Link
- Effect: Gain access to the Bottom of the Well as an adult.
- Prerequisites: Have access to Kakariko Vilage. Be adult Link. Have Longshot. Have Hover Boots.
- How To: Longshot into the hole in Kakariko Windmill (there's a wooden post in there). Go up the small staircase and grab the cucco. Equip the hover boots and run out through the hole up there. Take a sharp left as you exit. Turn the corner and float towards the graveyard. When close to the fence, throw the cucco and hit B to jump attack. You and the cucco should be over the fence. Grab the cucco again and face the windmill. Get behind the windmill so you are aligned with the well. Press Z and walk backward until the ground gives out. You will now be floating below the village, so head towards the well, but do not go in. Instead, toss the cucco when you are close to it and you should fall and enter the Bottom of the Well.
- Effect: Obtain up to 24 bottles
- Prerequisites: Have one bottle. Have another item you want to sacrifice.
- How To: Catch something in a bottle (e.g., fire, bugs, fairy, fish). Just as it comes in contact with the item, pause the game and switch the bottle with the other item. This will replace that item with a bottle.
- Notes: WARNING! Turning most items into a bottle will cause you to lose them permanently. Good items to use for this are Deku Sticks, Deku Nuts, Claim Check (after getting Biggoron's Sword), Magic Beans (after using all 10). If you replace the ocarina, you can still play the songs with the play items as ocarina glitch, and if the item was a collectible (Deku Sticks, Deku Nuts, etc) then collecting another will turn it back into its original item.
Infinite Lon-Lon Milk
- Effect: Obtain more bottles (as many as there are inventory slots)
- Prerequisites: Have two empty bottles and access to a fish (this can be done before Dodongo's Cavern with the Get Golden Scale Early bug).
- How To: Use the play items as ocarina glitch with an empty bottle. You will not play the ocarina, but drink from the bottle as if it had Lon-Lon Milk in it, restoring five hearts.
Under Water in Zora's Domain
- Effect: Get underneath the ice created in Zora's Domain after you become an adult.
- Prerequisites: Do the swordless link trick.
- How To: This glitch takes a certain amount of patience the first time. Do the swordless link trick and go to Lake Hylia. Call Epona and ride her on the grass right in front of where the blocked short cut is to Zora's Domain. Defeat the enemies so they don't get in your way. Set up Epona so that she is facing the lake. Equip your iron boots and play the ocarina (this will get you off Epona while still having the ability to control her). Now SLOWLY walk towards where the short cut is, make sure Epona doesn't back away from her spot. Sink down so you are facing the blocked short cut. Walk into it and hit "A" (this will begin to put you back on Epona and the glitch removes all of the walls) and immediately after push "Start" and put your normal boots on. You will float up and once you are on the other side of where the passage is, put your iron boots back on. You are not sinking facing the other side of the short cut. Now all you must do is put your normal boots on and swim towards the shortcut. You will then appear in Zora's Domain under the ice. You can walk around a bit using your iron boots. Have fun!
- Note: This takes a long time, to understand the directions and see what goes on glitch wise in the game. It may be possible to find some video online.
Steal the Fishing Rod
- Effect: Leave the fishing pond with the fishing rod equipped to B.
- Prerequisites: Have access to fishing pond.
- How to: Go into the fishing pond and pay to fish. Walk in to the pond until you start floating. As soon as you start floating, swim so that you're closer to the shore, then hold down the target button, dive down and while you're surfacing rapidly press B. If done correctly, you will stop swimming when you land, and Link will cast the rod but will still be able to move. Now you can leave the fishing place to Lake Hylia. Now, walk to the door and press A. Link will exit the pond with the rod still equipped to B.
- Notes: If you attempt to use the rod, Link will make the casting motion, but the rod will not appear. He will simply stand there forever until you reset the game. Also, if you go into water to where the B button dims, get out, pause, and then unpause, you will have a deku stick for your B button. This is used for the Reverse Bottle Adventure glitch. To cancel the glitch, simply pause and equip your sword. If you haven't gone into the water, just pause and unpause to put your sword back on B.
- Effect: Make Link's sword invisible.
- Prerequisites: Be an adult, have the Gamecube or Wii versions of the game.
- How to: Steal the Fishing Rod as seen above. Jump into the lake to dim your B button, then go back to land to undim it. Pause and then unpause the game while the B button is not dimmed. Now you will see a Deku Stick equiped to B. Even though the deku-stick is equipped, you will slash with an invisible sword.
- Note: This glitch was discovered by Masterdiabolo and can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP3NAhGVBYg&feature=related . The invisible sword isn't really a sword though, it's a Deku Stick, and each time you break one it takes one from your inventory. You can cancel this glitch by re-equipping your sword.
Reverse Bottle Adventure
- Effect: Rewrite inventory values to place items in Link's inventory or take items out.
- Prerequisites: Have 0 deku sticks, at least one bottle of bugs or fish in it, and know how to steal the fishing rod.
- How to: First, steal the fishing rod from the fishing pond. Next, without pausing, go into the water so that the B button dims. Next, get out of the water and pause and unpause. The B button will now change to a deku stick. If you are an adult and you do not have 0 deku sticks, the game will freeze when you press B, unless you are playing on the Gamecube or Wii ports. Next, take out your bug/fish bottle, empty it, and catch it again. While Link is holding the bottle, perform a backflip and quickly press the button for the bottle and then B. If done correctly, Link will empty the bottle, and then the B button will display a bottle. This will overwrite a memory slot (determined by the item on C-Right), with the internal value of the empty bottle. The most common use for this is to obtain the shadow and spirit medallions (allowing you to get Light Arrows early), and to obtain the secret colored gauntlets, which are obtained by having the pocket cucco trading item equipped to C-right and by catching a fish on the B button bottle.
- Note: With this glitch it is possible to overwrite most C-Items with a bottle, and quest items (such as ocarina songs, medallions, etc). Do not save your game unless you know what you're doing.
- Parameters: This glitch can not be done to to obtain any C-button items, it will simply place a bottle in the slot of the item. You can only use it for equipment, quest status icons, etc.
Hookshot Dot on Screen
- Effect: Red target dot from hookshot appears on screen even when hookshot isn't equipped.
- Prerequisites: Hookshot, Shield.
- How to: Pull out Hookshot and aim while Z-targeting. While continuing to target, backflip and then defend with the shield before landing. If done correctly, the red dot will stay on-screen even though the Hookshot isn't equipped and will wobble about as Link walks. Works on all versions.
Epona on Water Temple Island and Link Bodiless
- Effect: Epona warps to the Water Temple island and Link becomes totally bodiless, all C weapons originate from underneath Epona, sword does no damage.
- Prerequisites: Epona, warp song to Lake Hylia.
- How to: Get on Epona and head to Gerudo Valley. Once in Gerudo Valley, remain on Epona and try entering the tent at an angle, leaning sideways into the tent. After a few tries, Link will appear into the tent, but not on Epona. Pull out the Ocarina and warp to Lake Hylia. Epona will be at the warp point, but Link will be invisible. If you use arrows, Hookshot, etc., the item will switch to a view from under Epona, and will be used from that point. Link will not make ripples when swimming nor will enemies be able to touch him. Simply leave the area to fix the glitch.
Getting Over the Wooden Barrier Behind the Windmill
- Effect: Reach an area once thought to be unreachable.
- Prerequisites: Hover Boots, Hookshot/Longshot
- How to: Enter the top area of the Windmill by using the Longshot from outside on the nearest roof, the wooden peg is your target. Run up and grab the Cucco you should see there (sometimes it's not around, if so just leave the area and return, hopefully he'll be back). Now, holding the Cucco, get as far back as you can, facing the higher exit of this part of the Windmill, equip your Hover Boots, and run outside, immediately holding left to go around the corner of the Windmill. Aim yourself at a sort of bend in the wooden barrier, the second segment from the right. When you get as far as you can go, press B and Link will do a slash down at the fence, which should cause you to land beyond it or on top of it if you've done this correctly. From here, simply press forward and investigate! There's not much to find back here, but you've accomplished something and discovered a new little area regardless, so congratulations! Oh, and be warned that the trees aren't solid, so you can walk through them and fall to your death if you're not careful.
Easy Dark Link
- Effect: Make the Dark Link battle in the Water Temple a whole lot easier.
- Prerequisites: Megaton Hammer, access to Dark Link.
- How to: Go to the room with Dark Link and make sure you have the Megaton Hammer equipped. After that, start the battle and slash at Dark Link a couple of times. It doesn't matter if you hurt him or not, you just have to get him to block. Once you do that, try to pound him with the Megaton Hammer. If done right, Dark Link won't dodge the Megaton Hammer and will get hurt. Once he gets hurt with the Megaton Hammer once, you should be able to keep pounding him over and over again easily.
- Note: You only have to slash at Dark Link with your sword to knock him off balance so he can't dodge the Megaton Hammer. This glitch was founded by BTAL1ama and a video tutorial can be found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyKTxCbOWkM&feature=related .
Swim on Land
- Effect: Swim on land.
- Prerequisites: Be an adult, have Iron Boots.
- How to: Got to a body of water where the water level goes gradually down (the fishing pond in Lake Hylia is a great place). Now swim out facing away from the land (it doesn't have to be too far, but far enough so that you're swimming). Now target and start swimming backwards (towards the land). In the middle of stroke, equip your Iron Boots. As soon as you start moving slower, take off your Iron Boots but keep swimming backwards. If done right, Link should still be swimming, even when he's on land.
- Note: Remember, you don't have to be too far out in the pond, just far enough so that you are swimming. Also, using the Hookshot or Arrows will cancel this glitch, along with equipping your Iron Boots and swimming. While on the land, Link can draw his sword and shield and he can dive but if done on the ground next to the Lakeside Laboratory he will be looking up, he will not move and the Action button will change to "8". Simply use the Hookshot or Arrows to cancel, but the Action button will stay showing "8". Enter in the Lakeside Laboratory or leave the area to fix this.
Frozen Gold Skulltula Token
- Note: This has only been tested in the lower floor below the spider web in the Great Deku Tree on the Virtual Console version. Also, after performing the glitch, the controller nor the Wii will respond, so the Wii must be unplugged.
- Effect: Freezes the game after touching a Gold Skulltula Token.
- How to: Defeat the Gold Skulltula on the wall. The Token should be floating. Climb on the ledge by the treasure chest and jump to the Token. The game will then freeze.
Double Damage from Bombs
- Effect: Take double damage from a bomb (one full heart with no defense upgrade).
- Prerequisites: Bombs, Ocarina
- How to: Get out a bomb and wait until it is about to explode, and then place it, making Link take damage. As soon as this happens, use the Ocarina. When Link puts it away, he will take damage again. This does not affect the game in any other way.
- Effect: Varies by where Seam Walking is done.
- Prerequisites: None
- How to: Line up straight against the corner of a wall, where it meets exactly and go press up on the controller. If successfully up the wall, you can walk any except the over edge of the area, or else you will fall nearly-endlessly in to a pit and have to redo the whole thing over again.
- Note: You have to make sure it is like the wall by the place where you get Din's fire, and not like the entrance to Zora Domain area.
- Effect: Causes the game to "skip" and possibly skip parts of the game.
- Prerequisites: None
- How to: Go to a very steep cliff/hole that has a higher level next to the area that Link will fall. Position yourself in a way that if Link falls, he will meet the very edge of the seam between platforms. If done correctly, Link will continuously grab the higher ledge and fall off, causing his scream voice animation to repeat and causing Link's normal movement while grabbing onto a ledge to repeat as well.
- Notes: The glitch probably happens when Link is close enough to tricking the game into thinking he can grab the ledge when he really can't, which causes him to grab the ledge and let go repeatedly. Several known places for this glitch to work are the Great Deku Tree and the Water Temple. In the Deku Tree, jump from the floor to the first basement and aim at the ledge with the switch. In the Water Temple, jump from the middle platform on the third floor onto the ledge where Link can raise the water to the third floor. Interestingly, Link can actually make this jump if it is aimed correctly, which can allow him to bypass a small key.
Use Master Sword as Child Link
- Effect: Have child Link equip the Master Sword.
- Prerequisites: Must have access to the Master Sword and must not have given the odd potion to the Kokiri girl in the forest (as part of the trading sequence)
- How to: Get the odd potion from the potion shop lady and go to the Temple of Time (without warping). Stand by the Master Sword's pedestal and press A at the exact moment the timer reaches zero. Link should return the sword and become child Link, and the timer should still be there with five seconds left. Once the timer reaches zero again, press A to take the sword. Link should reappear in the Lost Woods with the Master Sword equipped to B. He will appear to holding the Kokiri Sword, but swinging it will reveal that it has a much greater reach and does the damage of the Master Sword.
Enter the Bottom of the Well Early
- Effect: Enter the Bottom of the Well while it still has water in it.
- Prerequisites: Must not have emptied the well.
- How to: Find a cucco and attack it enough times so the next hit will cause it to attack Link. Bring the cucco to the well and throw it onto the edge of the well. Stand on the side opposite the cucco and perform a jump attack that hits the cucco. If done correctly, Link should fall to the bottom of the well as the cucco calls the cucco revenge squad. Once the cutscene finishes, simply swim into the entrance.
Bongo Bongo Glitch
- Effect: Cause the game to get stuck during Bongo Bongo's cutscene.
- Prerequisites: Must not have defeated Bongo Bongo and must have at least one bombchu.
- How to: At the boss room of the Shadow Temple, have Link take out a bombchu before jumping into the hole. Once he reaches the bottom, the bombchu will explode and harm Bongo Bongo, causing him to begin his attack pattern instead of completing the cutscene. He will continue to beat the drum, grunt, and attempt to attack Link. Link will be stuck in the cutscene and unable to move, requiring you to reset the game after performing the glitch.
- Zelda Chaos, ZeldaWiki's top glitch affilate that specializes in verifying hacks, explaining glitches, and providing up-to-date information on all things exploitable in the Zelda series.