Artwork of Gonzo from The Wind Waker HD
|Game(s)|| The Wind Waker|
Four Swords Adventures
|Era|| Era of the Great Sea|
Era of the Great Voyage
Gonzo is a member of Tetra's pirate crew who makes an appearance in both The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass. In The Wind Waker, he is often seen at the helm of the pirate ship, shouting orders to the crew as well as steering the ship. He holds a special place in his heart for the pirates' leader, Tetra, and has a tendency to end most of his sentences with "yeah?"
The Wind Waker
In his first appearance, Gonzo is a head pirate under Tetra's command and seems to play the biggest role in the game out of all the pirates. Despite his strong and intimidating appearance, Gonzo is actually kinder than he looks, showing great care for his dear "Miss Tetra". As such, he is the one that goes after Tetra after the Helmaroc King drops her off in the Fairy Woods of Outset Island.
Gonzo also quickly grows to care a lot about Link, as when Quill spoke to the pirates about his whereabouts, he was extremely concerned about him. Mako however misinterprets this concern as an act and later compliments Gonzo on his 'quick-wit'. Gonzo shows he is at least quick-witted enough to save face by playing along, and this leads Mako to mention that if him and Tetra were to get married and have a kid, that kid would be the "greatest pirate to sail the seas." This causes Gonzo to instantly blush, calling Mako stupid as he asks Tetra if she was listening to the so-called silly suggestion.
Once Tetra catches up with Link during his second visit to the Forsaken Fortress, Gonzo is ordered by Tetra to take Aryll to their ship in order to return her to her home in Outset Island. Later on when Tetra has to stay inside the Hyrule Castle basement, Aryll mentions to Link in a letter that ever since Tetra left, Gonzo has become depressed and even cries for the young pirate leader, once again illustrating Gonzo's soft side.
Gonzo makes a final appearance in The Wind Waker during the game's ending. After Link and Tetra resurface from the sunken Hyrule Castle, Gonzo, along with the rest of the pirate crew and a few other character, greet the pair aboard their pirate ship. Gonzo is then seen steering the ship as Link, Tetra, and the gang of pirates set sail from Outset Island in search of new lands.
Like the rest of the pirates, Gonzo bears a striking resemble to a man portrayed in a wall painting hanging in the sunken Hyrule Castle, which heavily hints that the man could be Gonzo's ancestor serving under the orders of a past Princess Zelda.
|Gonzo (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|| Personality: Short-tempered.|
Favorite Thing: Miss Tetra.
Leader of Tetra's family of pirates, Gonzo seems to be quite strong...but he cries at the drop of a hat.
Gonzo appears again during both the introduction and the ending of Phantom Hourglass, but plays a minor role in contrast to the previous game. In the game, he's still in charge of steering the ship, and is last seen when Tetra and Link reunite with the rest of the pirate crew.
|Names in Other Regions|
- "Leader of Tetra's family of pirates, Gonzo seems to be quite strong...but he cries at the drop of a hat." — Gonzo Figurine (The Wind Waker)
- "[Alfonzo] is descended from Gonzo, one of Tetra's pirates." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 133)
- "I tell you, the minute I set my eyes on that Link, I just knew he was hiding something back at Outset, yeah?" — Gonzo (The Wind Waker)
- "You idiot! Keep your mouth shut, yeah?" — Gonzo (The Wind Waker)
- "Miss Tetra! Oh! Oh thank... Thank goodness! You're safe! When I saw you get dropped on this summit, I thought for sure you'd..." — Gonzo (The Wind Waker)
- "Good work, Gonzo! Really! Just top notch! It's funny, though... I'm thinking this is maybe the first time you've shown such wit... Such cunning... ...You know, with your cunning and Miss Tetra's smarts... If you two got married and had a kid... ...That kid would be the greatest pirate to ever sail the seas! Yup! The greatest!" — Mako (The Wind Waker)
- "You idiot! Keep your mouth shut, yeah? Don't be so stupid! Miss Tetra! Are you listening to this nitwit?" — Gonzo (The Wind Waker)
- "Gonzo! Excellent! You're just in time! Take this one for me." — Tetra (The Wind Waker)
- "Mr. Gonzo is a really big guy, but ever since Miss Tetra left, he's been crying like a baby. It's kinda funny...but sort of sad, too." — Aryll (The Wind Waker)