From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Title(s)||Chosen Goron Hero|
|Non-canon Appearances||Majora's Mask manga|
- Not to be confused with the Gorons who share the name of the protagonist from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.
Traveling to the northern mountains, Snowhead, Link discovers that the home of the Gorons has been plagued with a endless winter. While exploring this frozen, snow-covered village, he is confronted by a Goron ghost, who implores that the young hero follow him. Using the Lens of Truth, Link is able to travel with the ghost as his guide to the hidden Goron Graveyard, where the ghost reveals his story. He is the spirit of Darmani the Third, a hero among Gorons, who gave his life in an attempt to break the curse on Snowhead Temple. He was unsuccessful and died after falling into an abyss. Darmani laments that he can no longer aid his people, though their suffering continues. Link plays the "Song of Healing" to heal the wounds of the sorrowful ghost. The song calms the Goron warrior's spirits, and he prepares to enter his eternal slumber. However, Darmani first gives Link the Goron Mask, which grants the wearer the powers of the fallen Goron warrior. As a final request, Darmani tasks Link to use the mask and free the Goron people from the curse of the Snowhead Temple.
While in Goron form Link gains many unique abilities which can be used to fight enemies, solve puzzles, or even to travel across Termina at a faster speed. Many of Goron Link's abilities are based on his physical prowess, though he also possesses a powerful magical ability.
This is Goron Link's equivalent of a sword. Pressing the B-Button will cause Goron Link to deal a powerful punch, and continued pressing will result in Goron Link executing an uppercut followed by a full-body blow.
Pressing the A-Button to curl, Goron Link can then perform a Goron Pound by pressing the B-button. This will cause the Goron hero to jump in the air and slam back to the ground with incredible force. This attack can activate hardened switches, stun enemies, and break heavy objects.
If a bomb explodes while Goron Link is still in the air, immediately prior to slamming to the ground and executing the Goron Pound, he will be thrown backwards at his current height. This glitch can be used to access certain areas before they are supposed to.
While in Goron form Link can curl into a ball by tapping the A-Button. By tilting the control stick, he will then go into a roll, and if Link continues rolling for long enough without encountering an obstacle or leaving the ground, spikes will appear around his body and make him roll even faster. This attribute helps in clearing long gaps and retaining better traction on icy terrain. Goron Link's spiked roll can also destroy or damage many enemies and objects; this powerful ability requires magic power, and will cease to operate if Link's magic meter is completely emptied.
Goron Link has the unique ability to carry Powder Kegs, which are so large that he can only carry one at a time. These massive explosives are so dangerous that he must first pass a test to even be allowed to carry them.
Despite these many strengths and abilities, Goron Link has a major weakness: he cannot swim. He'll sink when falling into a body of water as if it were an abyss.
While in Goron form Link's Ocarina takes the form of the Drums of Sleep. These drums are popular among Gorons, and they are needed to give effect to the Goron Lullaby melody. There are two instances where the Drums of Sleep are necessary.
- To calm the screaming Goron Elder's Son, Goron Link must play the Lullaby Intro. The young Goron will then stop crying and teach Link the rest of the Goron Lullaby. The sound of the drums will calm the Elder's son, and he will fall asleep.
- Armed with the Lens of Truth, Drums of Sleep and the full Goron Lullaby, Goron Link must play for the sleeping, invisible Biggoron. The song will cause Biggoron to doze off and fall into the abyss, clearing the way to Snowhead Temple. The massive Goron will, however, return once Goht has been defeated, albeit in a very confused state.
- Goron Link's Goron Pound and punch are equivalent, in function, to the Megaton Hammer.
- In Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask there is a goron named Link. The Ocarina of Time version is the son of Darunia, while the Majora's Mask version is an unfortunate soul who has his name confused for "Link-goro" (due to his stutter).
- Goron Link cannot be harmed by ReDeads or Gibdo.
- In Spirit Tracks, when Princess Zelda possesses a Wrecker Phantom, she can roll like Goron Link does.
- ↑ ".........Can it be? Are you able to see me? If you truly can see me, then follow behind me..." — Darmani's ghost (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "As I am, I can only watch as Goron Village is slowly buried in ice...I may have died, but I cannot rest." — Darmani's ghost (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "For the Goron Village... I have asked your assistance..." — Darmani's ghost (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "The powerful punch that Goron heroes unleash by pressing (B) is feared by all. By repeatedly pressing (B), Goron heroes will deal out a barrage of punches." — Text engraved on Darmani's tombstone (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "I'll open the door with a Goron Pound." — Goron guarding the door to the Goron Village (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "After using (A) to curl up, a Goron can jump with (B) and land with quaking impact that is so mighty it can flatten enemies." — Text engraved on Darmani's tombstone (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "At slippery places like this, you can curl up as a Goron and roll your way across! Why don't you try it?" — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Goron Powder Keg Shop. New customers will be tested on proper usage. The Shopkeeper" — Sign outside of the Powder Keg Shop (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Water is disastrous for Goron heroes, for they sink like stones and are rendered motionless in the deep. Beware." — Warning engraved on Darmani's tombstone (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "That song...That's the song daddy always plays for me before I go to sleep..." — Goron Elder's Son (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "What's that? There's something in the middle of that blizzard... Can't you see it?" — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Darmani! What in the world have I been doing this whole time? [...] What am I doing sitting in a place like this???" — Biggoron (Majora's Mask)