From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
Majora's Mask featured three new instruments which were used when Link was in his other forms. Due to the musical timbre being different for each instrument, some songs only have effect when played with the appropiate one.
Pipes of Awakening
The Pipes of Awakening, also known as the Deku Pipes, are the pipes that are used by Deku Scrubs in Majora's Mask. When using the Deku Mask, Deku Link pulls out these pipes instead of using the Ocarina of Time. Also, when trying to save the monkey in the Deku Palace, Link must take out the pipes to learn the Sonata of Awakening.
Although the pipes sound like a trumpet, Deku Link's form and lack of lips would make such an instrument (one that would require lip-buzzing, as most modern brass instruments) impossible to play. The instrument's unusual playing method, multiple bells, and sound make it an unusual cross between the Sarrusophone and the Double-Belled Euphonium, both obsolete instruments today.
Drums of Sleep
The Drums of Sleep are used by Goron Link as a replacement of Link's Ocarina of Time. Goron Link must play the Goron Lullaby to the Baby Goron with the drums to make him stop crying, and later to a giant Goron in front of the Snowhead Temple.
The drums are not exact replications of any real life drum, but they most closely resemble the Djembe in sound, shape, construction, method of playing, and aesthetic design. Unlike usual Djembes, the Drums of Sleep are arranged in a group of 5 around Goron Link's body with little visible support holding the drums up. This is similar to the modern-day Tenor Drum (also called Quads or Quints) used in marching bands and drum corps groups, although Goron Link's drums are not arranged in the same pattern as a set of Tenor Drums.
Guitar of Waves
The Guitar of Waves is used by Mikau, a member of the Zora band The Indigo-Go's, who is sadly killed by the Gerudo Pirates. When wearing the Zora Mask, produced from playing the Song of Healing to Mikau, this fish skeleton guitar will replace the Ocarina of Time as Zora Link's instrument. It sounds like the 6 string electric guitar of today.
Interestingly, Zora Link plays the guitar right-handed which goes against his usual left-handedness (such as when he wields his sword). This, however, may be a result of Mikau being right-handed and passing on his playing style to Link via his mask.
- The guitar is quite similar to the Desbrekos that Link faces in the Great Bay Temple.
- The Jackson Guitar company produced a limited number of special guitars that were upscaled, usable, 7-string electric instruments modeled after Mikau's Fish-Bone Guitar. The instrument is said to be worth more than $20,000 US dollars and is referred to as the Zoraxe.
- Skull Kid's flute in Twilight Princess resembles Deku Link's Deku Pipes.
- The Ocarina Transformations originally existed as independent C-Button items. Their icons are coded into the game but were not implemented in the release. They can be seen in certain beta screenshots.
- ↑ "It seems the face of the slightly larger, strange stone changes when the pipes of awakening are played..." — Gossip Stone (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Oh! You have them! You do! Just like the princess... Deku Pipes! Those will work great!!!" — Captive Monkey (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "It seems the face of the slightly larger, strange stone changes when the drums of sleep are played..." — Gossip Stone (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "It seems the face of the slightly larger, strange stone changes when the guitar of waves is played..." — Gossip Stone (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, The Cutting Room Floor
|Names in Other Regions|
|Pipes of Awakening||Drums of Sleep||Guitar of Waves|
|English||Europe||Deku Pipes||Drums of Awakening||Guitar of Waves|
|Spanish||Spain||Gaitas Deku||Tambores del Sueño||Guitarra de Ondas|
|Latin America||Gaitas del Despertar|
|French||France/Canada||Trompe Mojo||Tam-Tams du Sommeil||Guitar de l'océan|
|German||Germany||Deku-Pfeifen||Trommeln des Schlafes||Gitarre der Wellen|
|Gameplay Elements of The Legend of Zelda Series|