|Game(s)||The Wind Waker|
A Link Between Worlds
|Other media||Hyrule Warriors|
In Skyward Sword, Hero Mode can be unlocked after completing the main quest. In this mode enemies deal double damage. Hearts and heart flowers no longer appear (unless Link is holding the Heart Medal), so Link must rely on Potions to recover his health. Furthermore, Link has access to all the hints the Sheikah Stones have to offer at the beginning of his journey, and he carries over any Treasure and bugs he collected from his first quest. An additional boss fight is added to the Lightning Round, bringing the total to 12. Finally, the Skyward Strike keeps its powered-up form from the first playthrough, and when strengthened again, the charge time is virtually eliminated.
The Wind Waker HD
The Wind Waker HD includes a Hero Mode similar to that of Skyward Sword, but is available upon the creation of a new save file. Hearts do not appear in Hero Mode, forcing Link to use Potions and Fairies to regain health. In addition, enemies deal double the amount of damage as in normal gameplay. Hero Mode can be activated or deactivated at any point during gameplay through the file select screen.
A Link Between Worlds
The Second Quest reappears in A Link Between Worlds again with the name of Hero Mode, where it is unlocked after finishing the main quest. The main difference in this mode is that enemies deal four times the damage than usual, but Ravio's Journal can also be accessed through this new mode as a hidden feature.
Similar Modes and Releases
Several The Legend of Zelda games have Second Quests, which allow the player to play through the game after completing it once, usually with a higher difficulty. Often there are significant changes to layouts and the locations of items. Many games that implement a Hero Mode do so as a Second Quest.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest is an alternate version of Ocarina of Time, designed to be more difficult that has different enemies. In Ocarina of Time 3D, this alternate game is combined with the original as a Second Quest called the "Master Quest", but in this version the entirety of Hyrule is mirrored and Link takes twice as much damage as in the normal quest in addition to the changes in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest.
- "I can see you're playing in Hero Mode, so clearly you've mastered all the puzzles out there before." — Sheikah Stone (Skyward Sword)
- "You have elected to engage Hard Mode, so hearts and heart flowers will not appear. I recommend utilizing potions." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Tell you what, I'm going to go ahead and give you access to all the hints right from the start." — Sheikah Stone (Skyward Sword)
- "Hero Mode can be selected right away, no completion of the game required[.]" — Nathanial Rumphol-Janc, The Wind Waker HD Triforce Quest Details, FPS Mode, Hero Mode, Screenshots, and More!, Zelda Informer, published 2013-08-22.
- "In Hero Mode, health is only regained through potions[.]" — Nathanial Rumphol-Janc, The Wind Waker HD Triforce Quest Details, FPS Mode, Hero Mode, Screenshots, and More!, Zelda Informer, published 2013-08-22.
- The Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker HD Hero Mode Trailer, .
|Names in Other Regions|
|Spanish|| Partida héroe (SS)|
Mode Héroe (SS)
Modo Héroe (ALBW)
|French|| Mode héroïque (SS)|
Mode Héroïque (ALBW)