Artwork of the Hylian Shield
from Twilight Princess HD
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
A Link Between Worlds
|Other media|| Super Smash Bros.|
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
|Cost(s)|| 80 Rupees (OoT)|
200 Rupees (TP)
Blocking fire, electric, and curse attacks
|Comparable Item(s)||Hero's Shield|
The Hylian Shield is a recurring Shield in The Legend of Zelda series. It is the traditional Shield bore by the Knights of Hyrule and is commonly used by Link in 3D Zelda games. Unlike Wooden Shields, the Hylian Shield will not burn upon contact with fire. Throughout the Zelda games, the Hylian Shield has changed little in terms of overall appearance, always bearing the symbol of the Triforce and, beneath it, a red Hylian Crest representing the Crimson Loftwing that helped Link at the founding of Hyrule. The first Hylian Shield was a legendary Shield guarded by the Thunder Dragon Lanayru, who created the Lightning Round to judge whether someone would be worthy of wielding the Shield.
Location and Uses
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the Hylian Shield can either be purchased or found by Link as a child. Emblazoned with Hylian artwork, complete with a Crimson Loftwing and the Triforce, the Hylian Shield is much too large for young Link to wield on his arm and functions more like a turtle's shell. After his seven year sleep, Link became able to use it as his standard Shield.
The Hylian Shield becomes almost necessary to survive a visit to the Great Fairy in Death Mountain, as child Link's 'turtle shell' use of the Shield protects from recurrent flaming rock eruptions. It is also not prone to the risk of being burnt by particular fire-borne enemies, such as the Fire Keese. However, the Hylian Shield can be consumed by the Shield-eating Like Likes if Link is swallowed by one. Child Link's use of the Shield limits mobility while defending and does not provide as much adequate protection from the front as the Deku Shield (and the Hylian Shield as an adult) and is similarly unable to reflect Deku Scrub and Octorok attacks, but it can defend Link from the Boulders that rain from Death Mountain. The guard at the gates of Kakariko Village (leading to Death Mountain) can offer Link a discount in correspondence with the owner of the Bazaar in Hyrule Castle Town. If Link speaks to the guard and then attempts to purchase the Hylian Shield at normal price at the Bazaar in the Market, the shop owner will give Link a discount of random values in intervals of 5 Rupees between a total price of 45 to 75 Rupees. However, the Shield cannot be bought even with the discount if Link does not have 80 Rupees. Despite the discount, a free Hylian Shield can be found if Link opens a certain grave at night in the Kakariko Village Graveyard.
The pedestal on which the avian is perched on is often seen to be the "missing fourth piece" of the Triforce, combined known as the Tetraforce, that completes the triangle. No point in the series has the existence of a fourth piece ever been mentioned, however. This inverted triangle was presumably removed to dismiss the confusion of its such existence.
In Twilight Princess, the Hylian Shield becomes available before entering the Goron Mines in the newly established Malo Mart in Kakariko Village. It can also be bought (for a slightly higher price) from a Goron in Castle Town. The Hylian Shield is indestructible, but is unable to catch Arrows that strike it, merely deflecting them.
Its appearance is largely similar to its Ocarina of Time incarnation, with some minor design changes. The metal frame is thinner now, and the numerous rivets are replaced by three large bolts. The Triforce symbol has become smaller, now with metal framing it. In contrast, the Crimson Loftwing is noticeably bigger and takes up the entire bottom half of the Shield. The inverted triangle at the bottom has been removed and two metal decals take its place.
In Skyward Sword, the Hylian Shield's design originally was largely similar to that of Twilight Princess, albeit with brighter colors more akin to the original Ocarina of Time design. Some time prior to E3 2011, the design was altered, removing the silver rim around the Triforce and the metal ornamentation beneath the Crimson Loftwing design. As with all Shields, the Hylian Shield is controlled by using the Nunchuk: by quickly thrusting the Nunchuk forward, Link will raise his Shield and use it to defend himself against enemy attacks. Unlike other Shields in the game, the Hylian Shield is indestructible, with its durability bar permanently filled with a glowing blue color to signify this. Unlike its past appearances, the Hylian Shield cannot be obtained early on in the game, due to the nature of normal Shields as potentially temporary items with limited durability. It is the reward from the Thunder Dragon Lanayru's Lightning Round if Link wins eight fights consecutively and then quits.
A Link Between Worlds
In A Link Between Worlds, the Hylian Shield makes its first appearance in a top-down perspective Zelda game. It is found as the dungeon item of Turtle Rock and replaces the standard Shield once obtained. Unlike the standard Shield, it can block magical attacks such as the beams fired by Beamos, as well as block the Lynels' fire breath, although it cannot reflect them back.
Although the Shield is referred to as a Hylian Shield and bears the Hyrulean Triforce, it is not known or explained how it came to be housed in a Lorulean dungeon.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ハイリアの盾 (Hairia no Tate)||Hylia Shield|
|Spanish||Escudo Hyliano||Hylian Shield|
|Escudo hyliano (OoT3D, SS, ALBW)||Hylian shield|
|French|| Bouclier Hylien (OoT)
| Hylian Shield|
|Bouclier Hylien (OoT3D, ALBW)||Hylian Shield|
|Italian||Scudo Hylia||Hylia Shield|
|Chinese||海利亞盾 (Hǎilìyà Dùn)||Hylia Shield|
| 海拉鲁盾 (Hǎilālǔ Dùn) (OoT)
海利亚盾 (Hǎilìyà Dùn) (OoT3D)
| Hyrule Shield (a wrong translation, now abolished)|
Hylia Shield (correct translation)
- "This is a big, heavy Shield just like the ones Hylian Knights use. It can stand up to flame attacks!" — Bazaar Owner (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hylian Shield A shield with a Hylian crest. Defend against attacks with Z. It's metal and will never burn." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "You got the Hylian shield! Press Z to defend yourself. It's metal and will never burn." — N/A (Twilight Princess)
- "Our hero, who rescues the land that will later become Hyrule, rides a red bird. This is why the mark of a bird appears on his shield. However, since the design had already appeared, was this some herald of fate to come? Loftwings are modeled after birds called shoebills, and the idea for their curled tails came from the designer's pet shiba - Hiraoka, designer" (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Comics), pg. 9)
- "Yes, yes... The Thunder Dragon. The goddess gave the Thunder Dragon the power to protect the desert. This dragon possesses a legendary shield. It is truly one of its most prized treasures. It is said that the Thunder Dragon delights in testing those with promise in the hopes of someday finding a worthy recipient for the shield." — Eldin (Skyward Sword)
- "My current hot seller is the Hylian Shield, but it might be too big for you, kid." — Bazaar Owner (Ocarina of Time)
- "Fire Keese Destroy it before it flies into you! If you don't, its flames will burn up your Deku Shield!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "Like Like
An enemy that eats shields and certain clothes. Beat it quickly to get your gear back!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- "By the way, Mr. Hero... If you're going to climb Death Mountain, you should equip a proper shield! It is an active volcano, after all! If you go back to Hyrule Castle Town Market, you should check out the Bazaar. They sell the shield you need there. Tell 'em I sent you and they should give you a special discount!" — Guard (Ocarina of Time)
- "You heard about us from the guard at Death Mountain gate? Well, I have to give you a good deal then!" — Bazaar Owner (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hylian Shield: 200 Rupees LIMITED SUPPLY! Don't let them sell out before you buy one!" — Malo (Twilight Princess)
- "I cannot sell it for as low a price as you might get in Kakariko Village, but for you, I can still make a decent bargain, Brother. Would you want a Hylian shield for 210 Rupees?" — Castle Town Goron (Twilight Princess)
- "You got the Hylian Shield! This can protect you against magical attacks." — N/A (A Link Between Worlds)
- "A magic sword and shield that have accompanied Link on many adventures and helped him repeatedly save the land of Hyrule. This journey is no less dire, and Link once again goes into battle equipped with these items, this time in another world. These are well-balanced arms for Link." — Weapon description (Soulcalibur II)