From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
The Hyrulean Civil War refers to the war that occurred prior to the events of Ocarina of Time. Little is known about this conflict, apart from the fact that it lasted for very long.
The war was first referenced by the Great Deku Tree Sprout to explain Link's origins after he lifted the curse on the Forest Temple. To escape from the fires of the war, a Hylian mother and her baby boy went to the Kokiri Forest. Before passing away, the mother left her child under the guardianship of the Great Deku Tree. The child was raised as a Kokiri and a few years later became the Hero of Time.
Finally the war ended and resulted in the unification of Hyrule under one banner. Ganondorf once again swore fealty to the King of Hyrule. The peace was short lived however, as some years later, Ganondorf acquired the Triforce of Power and the conquest of Hyrule began.
- It is possible that the war may have been fought over the Triforce and the entrance to the Sacred Realm. The conflicts described in the opening of A Link to the Past seem to also describe the war that broke out before Ocarina of Time.
- In Twilight Princess, it is stated that the ancestors of the Twili tried to invade the Sacred Realm, and as such, their actions might have been what triggered the civil war. This would mean that the Interloper War was the same conflict as the Civil War.
- ↑ "The war in Hyrule raged unabated for countless eras." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 84)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 "Some time ago, before the King of Hyrule unified this country, there was a fierce war in our world. One day, to escape from the fires of the war, a Hylian mother and her baby boy entered this forbidden forest. The mother was gravely injured... Her only choice was to entrust the child to the Deku Tree, the guardian spirit of the forest. The Deku Tree could sense that this was a child of destiny, whose fate would affect the entire world, so he took him into the forest. After the mother passed away, the baby was raised as a Kokiri. And now, finally, the day of destiny has come!" — Deku Tree Sprout (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "The fighting was eventually quelled by the king of Hyrule, and the entire land was unified under his kingdom." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 84)
- ↑ "The scars of war faded from Hyrule, and it seemed that, at last, the world was at peace. Ganondorf, leader of the Gerudo, the people of the desert, once again swore fealty to the king of Hyrule." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 84)
- ↑ "Long ago, in the beautiful kingdom of Hyrule surrounded by mountains and forests... legends told of an omnipotent and omniscient Golden Power that resided in a hidden land. Many people aggressively sought to enter the hidden Golden Land... But no one ever returned. One day evil power began to flow from the Golden Land... So the King commanded seven wise men to seal the gate to the Land of the Golden Power. That seal should have remained for all time... ... ... But, when these events were obscured by the mists of time and became legend..." — N/A (A Link to the Past) (SNES version)
- ↑ "Long ago, in Hyrule, a beautiful kingdom surrounded by forests and mountains... legends told of an omnipotent and omniscient Golden Power that lay hidden. It was hidden in a sacred realm beyond the reach of men, but one day...... a doorway to that realm was suddenly opened... Hoping to claim the Golden Power as their own, the people began to quarrel and fight... Many sought to enter the hidden Golden Land... But none returned, and instead evil power began to issue forth from the dark portal... So the king commanded seven sages to seal the gate to the land of the Golden Power. Many brave knights were lost in the battle to protect the sages from the tides of evil, but the seal was cast! Evil flowed no more! And the seal would remain for all time... Or so the people hoped... But when these events were obscured by the mists of time, and became legend..." — N/A (A Link to the Past) (GBA version)
- ↑ "But soon, word of the Sacred Realm spread through Hyrule, and a great battle ensued...Among those living in the light, interlopers who excelled at magic appeared. Wielding powerful sorcery, they tried to establish dominion over the Sacred Realm. It was then that the goddesses ordered us three light spirits to intervene. We sealed away the great magic those individuals had mastered. You know this magic...It is the dark power you seek...the Fused Shadow." — Lanayru (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)