Artwork of the Keaton Mask
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
|Cost(s)|| Purchasing from The Happy Mask Shop (OoT)|
Going to Man from the Curiosity Shop in Kafei's hideout, after delivering the Letter to Kafei (MM)
Appearances, Location and Uses
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the Keaton Mask is the first mask Link obtains in the Mask Trading Sequence. It can be sold to the the guard standing outside of the gate to Death Mountain in Kakariko Village for 15 Rupees. However, Link only needs to repay the Happy Mask Salesman 10 Rupees.
The Keaton character is renowned throughout Hyrule as a particularly popular figure, predominately amongst children. However most reactions from adults are of nostalgia, confusion or admiration. Goron or Zora interactions result in a simple one-line stock answer, with the exception of important characters such as King Zora, Darunia and Princess Ruto.
- See also: Reuniting Kafei and Anju
In Majora's Mask, the mask can be used to summon a Keaton. Link must stand in any ring of moving bushes, cut one of the bushes down, then stand there until a Keaton appears. He will ask Link five general knowledge questions about the game, each with three choices. There are a total of thirty questions that could possibly be asked. If Link does not answer the questions correctly, he can try again, but the Keaton can only be summoned once every three-day period  If he gets them all correct, the young hero will be awarded with a Piece of Heart.
Kafei wears the mask to keep his identity hidden from the residents of Clock Town. The Keaton Mask is obtained by going to Man from the Curiosity Shop in Kafei's hideout, after delivering the Letter to Kafei. It is well hidden, requiring Link to go to Kafei's hideout at 1:00 in the afternoon on the Final Day.
The Wind Waker
In The Wind Waker, the Keaton's Mask appears in a cameo among Carlov's sculptures in the Nintendo Gallery. It can be seen with along with the Bunny Hood, Goron Mask, and the All-Night Mask behind the counter hanging on the wall.
- The Keaton Mask shows resemblance to the face of Con from the Kirby series.
- On the second row of the Mask Subscreen, the Keaton Mask (Fox), the Bremen Mask (Falco), the Bunny Hood (Peppy), Don Gero's Mask (Slippy), and the Mask of Scents (Pigma) are said to represent Starfox characters, implying that Nintendo created the appearance of these masks (save for the Keaton Mask and Bunny Hood, both of which appeared in Ocarina of Time) with the sole purpose of hiding an Easter egg in the game itself.
- In early versions of Ocarina of Time, the Keaton Mask was erroneously named the "Keatan Mask" in the item screen.
- "Oh, great! You sold it! Please pay back 10 Rupees for the Keaton Mask now." — Happy Mask Salesmen (Ocarina of Time)
- "Keaton stuff is hot, hot, hot!" — Happy Mask Salesmen (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh wow! It's Keaton! Hi, Keaton!" — Market Girl (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hey! It's a Keaton Mask!! I asked my daddy to get me one, too!" — Graveyard Boy (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh, I know that character! It's Keaton! He's very hot in Hyrule Castle Town right now!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- "Wow...how nostalgic! That reminds me of when I was a little kid." — Hylian Woman (Ocarina of Time)
- "YEEEAH! What's your problem?!" — Elderly Woman (Ocarina of Time)
- "Awww... That's so cute! Could you tell me where you found it?" — Elderly Hylian (Ocarina of Time)
- "Hrrrrm...I don't know what to say." — Goron (Ocarina of Time)
- "What do you want?" — Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Are you trying to make me laugh? Well, that's not that funny..." — Darunia (Ocarina of Time)
- "Ho ho ho! You Hylians...you are such silly creatures!" — King Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "You're a funny guy!" — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "Answer me this... Pick one of the three choices..." — Keaton (Majora's Mask)
- "Hee-hee-ho! Good! Very good! Take this prize!" — Keaton (Majora's Mask)
- "All it took was one glance at that Keaton Mask he was carrying for me to realize that I was looking at my old friend. I gave him that mask a long time ago when he was just li'l Kafei. Didn't know he kept it that well for so long..." — Man from Curiosity Shop (Majora's Mask)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||キータンのお面 (Kītan no Otsura)||Keaton Mask|
|Spanish||Careta Keaton||Keaton Mask|
|Máscara Keaton (OoT3D)|
|French||Masque du Renard||Fox Mask|
|Masque Keaton||Keaton Mask|
|Chinese||奇坦面具 (Qítǎn Miànjù)||Keaton Mask|
|Ocarina of Time Mask Trading Sequence|
| Keaton Mask > Skull Mask > Spooky Mask > Bunny Hood|
Gerudo Mask - Goron Mask - Zora Mask - Mask of Truth
|Masks in Majora's Mask|