From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
Kholdstare is a large, organic entity encased in ice. It is the boss of the Ice Palace, the fifth dungeon of the Dark World in A Link to the Past.
Link must use caution while battling the creature, due to the low friction of the floor. The young hero can use either the Fire Rod or the Bombos Medallion to break its ice shield. However, the latter is faster, as it destroys the ice shield in only one hit. Once the shield melts, Kholdstare splits into three identical parts that can be hit with the Fire Rod or the Sword. Occasionally, ice chunks will fall down from the ceiling, breaking up into multiple pieces and dropping magic power when the Magic Bar is empty. They can damage Link if they hit him. Upon defeating Kholdstare, Link receives another Heart Container and the Crystal containing the fifth imprisoned Maiden.
A Link to the Past comic
Link approaches Kholdstone
Kholdstare appears in Chapter 10 of the A Link to the Past comic, although under the name of Kholdstone. During Link's search for a map of the Dark World, the young hero travels to the Ice Tower, where they are confronted by Kholdstone. Link reveals that all he wants is to see the map of the Dark World, but Kholdstone mentions that the map is his greatest treasure and will not let anyone see it. The monster unleashes two Stalfos to attack Link, but when the young hero sees that they keep respawning even after defeating them, he begins to focus his power on the Master Sword, which causes for the tower to begin to collapse. Kholdstone warns Link that if he destroys the tower, then he will destroy the map as well, making him realize that the map is etched on the tower's floor. However, the tower collapses shortly after, presumably killing Kholdstone.
- Frostare, from Four Swords Adventures, bears a resemblance to Kholdstare (in its original frozen form), both in name and physical appearance.
- Kholdstare may be derived from the words "cold" and "stare" due to its relation to ice and its only eye.
- Kholdstare also bears a vague resemblance to the Kirby series boss, Kracko.
- ↑ "I don't want any trouble! I just want to see the map of the Dark World!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 5)
- ↑ "This map you speak of is Kholdstone's greatest treasure! I will never let you gaze upon it! Arise, Stalfos! Destroy him!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 6)
- ↑ "It's impossible to keep them down! Aaaargh!! I've had enough!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 7)
- ↑ "You've got quite a temper... If you bring the place down, you will destroy the map also! [...] Look down, fool!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 8)
- ↑ "Ah...the floor is the map?! Now...where's Turtle Rock?!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 8)
| Names in Other Regions
|| シュアイズ (Shuaizu)
|| Oeil de Glace
|| Eye of Ice
|| Frost Rigid