|Title(s)||King of the Zoras|
|Game(s)|| A Link to the Past|
Ancient Stone Tablets
Ocarina of Time
Oracle of Ages
|Era|| Era of the Hero of Time|
Era of Light and Dark
|Family|| Ocarina of Time|
Princess Ruto (Daughter)
Queen Rutela (Wife)
Prince Ralis (Son)
King Zora is the leader of the Zora race.
Appearances and Biography
A Link to the Past
King Zora is king of the Zora in A Link to the Past. He is found at the source of the river, Zora's Waterfall. Unlike his kin, he is a naturally friendly character with a generous, predictable laugh, he sells Flippers for 500 Rupees a pair. As a bonus, he tells Link that he can use the Whirlpool Waterways to warp from one body of water to another in Hyrule. Link must meet him and purchase Zora's Flippers in order to complete his quest; if Link does not have enough Rupees for the Flippers, the King will kindly encourage him to find more before returning.
Ancient Stone Tablets
|Ambiguously Canon Content|
In Ancient Stone Tablets, King Zora returns in the first week to sell Zora's Flippers, this time for 300 Rupees.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, King Zora sits on his throne at the helm of Zora's Domain, guarding passage to the great Lord Jabu-Jabu, the patron deity of the Zoras. Only when Link presents him with a letter from his missing daughter, Princess Ruto, who claims to be inside Lord Jabu Jabu, does he grant the young hero passage to Lord Jabu Jabu's lair. When Adult Link ventures to Zora's Domain, he finds King Zora and the rest of the region frozen solid: a curse placed on the region that stems from Morpha's control of the Water Temple, the source of their water. Freeing King Zora from the ice after completing the Ice Cavern will grant Link a Zora Tunic as a gift. If Link already has a Zora tunic, he will offer him a kiss.
Incidentally, it appears that, according to in-game dialog, King Zora and Biggoron are good friends and have known each other for a long time. During the ending sequence of Ocarina of Time, King Zora is shown to be one of the few characters not celebrating the victory over Ganon, instead sitting next to a sorrowful Mido, both depressed at the disappearance of Ruto and Saria. However, as the lights of the sages fly above, their heads raise skywards in recognition as the Sages soar towards Death Mountain.
Oracle of Ages
King Zora also appears in Oracle of Ages in death at the "present time," due to an overwhelming amount of sea pollution. To save him, Link must travel to the past and give him a life Potion. After this, he will grant Link permission to enter Jabu-Jabu if the young hero cleanses the seas, handing over the Library Key as well.
King Zora in Twilight Princess is long dead. He was Queen Rutela's husband and the creator of the Zora Armor. His grave is located in the Kakariko Village Graveyard and is where Link is given the Zora Armor by the ghost of Queen Rutela.
It is thought by some fans this is the same King Zora as in Ocarina of Time, due to a quote from an interviewer talking to the developers. Queen Rutela also states how her husband created "garments specifically for the chosen hero" that would allow him to breathe underwater, hinting at the Zora Tunic in Ocarina of Time. However, there is no indication that King Zora of Ocarina of Time actually crafted these tunics, and only offers his as a gift while they can be bought in the Zora Shop.
- Wearing the Goron Mask while speaking to King Zora reveals that Biggoron and King Zora are best friends, and have known each other since childhood.
- The sequence in which King Zora moves aside in Ocarina of Time so as to allow Link entry to Jabu Jabu's Lair is possibly one of the most exaggerated cutscenes in the Zelda series, at sixty seconds long.
|Names in Other Regions|
| King Zora|
King Zora Do Bon XVI
|Spanish||Rey Zora XVI (OoT3D)||King Zora XVI|
|French||Roi Zora||King Zora|
|French||Roi Zora XVI (OoT3D)||King Zora XVI|
|German||König Zora||King Zora|
King Zora of Labrynna from Oracle of Ages
- "Great! Whenever you want to see my fishy face, you are welcome here." — King Zora (A Link to the Past)
- "Wah ha ha! What do you want, little man?" — King Zora (A Link to the Past)
- "Wah ha ha! But I don't just give flippers away for free. I sell them for 500 Rupees a pair." — King Zora (A Link to the Past)
- "I will give you a free bonus with your purchase. I will let you use the magic water ways of the sea folk which link lakes and rivers. When you see a whirlpool, dive into it. You never know where you'll surface! Wah ha ha!" — King Zora (A Link to the Past)
- "You bought Zora's Flippers!" — N/A (A Link to the Past)
- "Wade back this way when you have more Rupees... Wah ha ha! I'll see you again!" — King Zora (A Link to the Past)
- "Zora's Fountain is just beyond King Zora's throne. That is where Lord Jabu-Jabu swims. But... unless you have King Zora's permission, you can't go to Zora's Fountain." — Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Ho, this letter! It's from Princess Ruto!! Hmmm...Let's see... She's inside Lord Jabu-Jabu? That's not possible! Our guardian god, Lord Jabu-Jabu, would never eat my dear Princess Ruto! But since that stranger, Ganondorf, came here, Lord Jabu-Jabu has been a little green around the gills... The evidence seems clear. Of course, you'll go find Ruto. You can pass through here to the altar of Lord Jabu-Jabu. I'll keep this letter. You keep the bottle it was in. Take it respectfully! Please find my dear Princess Ruto immediately... Zora!" — King Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh--I've come back to life! Was it you who saved me? Don't be nervous! It looks like you have a hard time breathing underwater. As an expression of my gratitude, I grant you this tunic. With this, you won't choke underwater." — King Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "What?! You already have one? You're ready for anything, aren't you! With my heartfelt thanks...how about a KISS?! What? You don't want it?! Oh well..." — King Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "Talk about a nostalgia trip! That reminds me of my childhood friend, Biggoron!" — King Zora (Ocarina of Time)
- "The king Link meets in this era is known as Zora De Bon XVI. His daughter is Princess Ruto." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 88)
- "During his lifetime, my husband created garments specifically for the chosen hero, garments that house the abilities of the Zora." — Queen Rutela (Twilight Princess)
- Nintendo Dream: Eiji Aonuma Interview 1: "There’s a reference to King Zora (the king of the Zora race in Ocarina of Time; his official name is Do Bon, the third), and there are some pictures of the man from the fishing pond (the owner of a fishing business near Lake Hylia in Ocarina of Time)."