Lon Lon Ranch
From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Lon Lon Ranch|
Lon Lon Ranch as seen in Ocarina of Time
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
Four Swords Adventures
The Minish Cap
Ingo (Ocarina of Time)
|Item(s)||Pieces of Heart ×1, a bottle full of Lon Lon Milk, Epona's Song, Gold Skulltula ×4|
|Related place(s)||Romani Ranch (Majora's Mask)|
|Theme Music|| |
Appearances and Features
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Lon Lon Ranch is the home to Talon, Malon, Ingo, and Epona. It is located in the center of Hyrule and is owned by Talon. It is a small farm, with one house area and a barn to keep horses and cows safe. It also has a paddock that can exercise the horses daily. The ranch raises Cuccos, horses, and cows. They make a profit by selling off the famous Lon Lon Milk that the cows make to the people of Hyrule. An Empty Bottle can be won here as young Link from Talon after winning the Super Cucco Game.
When Link first visits the ranch as a child, Malon introduces him to Epona, a young horse. The farm girl goes on to teach Link "Epona's Song", and Link can play this melody to beckon Epona to him, but he cannot yet ride the horse. Seven years later, Link returns to the ranch to find that it has been taken over by Ingo with the help of Ganondorf and has been renamed to Ingo Ranch. As a result, Talon was kicked out of the ranch, and Malon is forced to obey Ingo's orders or else the horses will be mistreated.
For a fee of 10 Rupees, Link can ride the horses in the ranch, and for an additional fee of 50 rupees, he can race Ingo for the chance to keep the horse (namely, Epona, as she is the fastest). After losing, he will challenge Link again, this time wagering Epona. Upon being defeated yet again, he keeps his promises and hands over Epona to Link; however, he closes the gates of the ranch, prohibiting the young hero from ever leaving the ranch. Link easily jumps over the gate by using Epona, and when he returns to the ranch, he finds that it has returned to its normal state. After losing the horse he had set aside for Ganondorf, Ingo turns the ranch over to Malon, and becomes a much happier and much more humble person after the experience. Malon also informs Link that her father will be returning to the ranch soon, and thanks Link for all that he has done.
Link can speak to Malon to take part in a small obstacle course and test his skills by using Epona. The goal is to complete two laps around the racetrack in the fastest time possible while jumping the set fences without missing one. If Link beats the obstacle course record, Malon will reward him by delivering a cow to his house in Kokiri Forest.
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, Lon Lon Ranch can be found in Near the Fields' The Field. Upon arriving to the field, Link encounters a girl named Malon standing all alone. She tells the young traveler that she was running errands, but just as she was about to head back to her home, it started raining; furthermore, the castle guards were moving all the cannons and even aimed their bows at her. Helpless, she asks the four Links if she can accompany them until she gets back to Lon Lon Ranch with her father, Talon. Unlike Ocarina of Time, the ranch has no cows or horses to be seen, and there are no buildings except for the house in which the two farm owners live.
As thanks for saving his daughter, Talon allows Link to use his horse to make his journey through the fields much easier. Link can grab one of the carrots that are encased in a crystal ball and throw it on the ground to make the horses magically appear, which the young hero will mount automatically.
The Minish Cap
In The Minish Cap, the ranch is not as big as in Ocarina of Time. Here lives Malon and her father, Talon, along with their cows. Later in the game, if Link helps Malon and Talon in finding their house key, he can go through the ranch to reach Lake Hylia. In the ranch, Link can fuse Kinstones with Elsie, one of the cows, if he is in Minish form. Link can also buy milk from Malon and Epona in Hyrule Town.
|At Lon Lon Ranch (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
||This small ranch lies just outside Hyrule Town. Father-and-daughter team Talon and Malon run it, and they sell the finest milk in Hyrule!|
- Interestingly, everyone at the ranch in Ocarina of Time has a turn at running the place at various points, starting with Talon, followed by Ingo, and finally Malon.
- Lon Lon Ranch is most likely to be named after Malon and Talon, the father-daughter owners of the ranch in Link's childhood in Ocarina of Time.
- Although the sword can be used inside the house, the Cuccos which reside on the main floor cannot be hurt, thus the Cucco Revenge Squad cannot be summoned.
- This is the only area in Ocarina of Time which is entirely optional.
- If a glitch is performed at one of the large fences, Link can obtain Epona with out having to beat Ingo in the race. 
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Talon and Malon's / Lon Lon Ranch" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Kid, have you been to Lon Lon Ranch? Their milk is delicious! There are many horses there, and the young daughter of the ranch owner is cute!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "This small ranch lies just outside Hyrule Town. Father-and-daughter team Talon and Malon run it, and they sell the finest milk in Hyrule!" — Figurine description (The Minish Cap)
- ↑ "Yep, I'm Talon, the owner of Lon Lon Ranch." — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Oh yeah, I have to introduce you to my friend, fairy boy! She's this horse. Her name is Epona. Isn't she cute?" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Ingo took over Lon Lon Ranch and they call it Ingo Ranch nowadays. I was kicked out of there, and look at me now! My girl, Malon, still works at the ranch... I'm worried about her..." — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "There are some people in Kakariko spreading rumors that I cheated Talon out of the ranch, but... Don't be ridiculous! That guy Talon was weak! I, the hard-working Ingo, poured so much energy into this place! I don't want any strangers like you saying anything bad about me! Listen. The great Ganondorf recognized my obvious talents and gave the ranch to me!" — Ingo (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "If I disobey Mr. Ingo, he will treat the horses so badly... So... There's nothing I can do..." — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Say, young man, do you want to ride one of my fine horses?Pay me 10 Rupees and you can ride." — Ingo (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "You're getting better!How about a little race with me? One lap around the corral with that horse. Let's make a little wager, say 50 Rupees?" — Ingo (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Sh-shoooot! If the great Ganondorf found out about this humiliation... Hey, you!! How about another race! If you win... You can keep...the horse!!" — Ingo (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "As I promised, I'll give the horse to you... However... I'll never let you leave this ranch!" — Ingo (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "I was going to present that horse to the great Ganondorf... But I bet it on the race and lost! Shooot!" — Ingo (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Hi there, how are you? I am Ingo. I feel so honored to be allowed to work here." — Ingo (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Now my dad is coming back...I can't believe it, but peace is returning to this ranch! It's all because of you! I owe you so much! Thank you! Thank you, Link!" — Malon (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Like today! I was coming home after running errands but...I couldn't get back. I mean, it started raining, and the castle guards were moving all the cannons..." — Malon (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ "The soldiers in the castle were behaving so oddly, and I couldn't get past them. They were moving the old cannons around...and they even aimed their bows at me!" — Malon (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ "Say, if you're all going on ahead, take me with you! You're friends with the green fairy, so of course it's OK, right?" — Malon (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ "I've got it! If you're going to continue your trip, you should go on horseback! Those castle guards are sure to be headed this way, and there are more ahead, too. You'll be much safer riding my swift horses, I'm sure!" — Talon (Four Swords Adventures)
- ↑ "The Great Ingo's / Ingo Ranch" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||ロンロン牧場||Lon Lon Ranch|
|Spanish||Rancho de Lon Lon||Lon Lon Ranch|
|Spanish||Rancho Lon Lon||Lon Lon Ranch|
|French||Ranch Lon Lon|
|Ranch Lon Lon|
|Locations in The Minish Cap|
|Click on a location|