From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
Mamu, as he appears in Link's Awakening.
|Title(s)||Frog King |
In Link's Awakening, Mamu resides in the pond beneath the Signpost Maze. He teaches Link the third and final song for the Ocarina, the "Frog's Song of Soul" by paying him 300 Rupees. After paying the 300 Rupee fee to listen to his jam, Link will learn the "Frog's Song of Soul". Mamu remarks that the ones who hear the song feel more alive. Mamu cannot be revisited afterwards, as he and his Frog Choir are away on tour according to the sign outside the pond. His fate is unknown after the Wind Fish awaken, as the dream world disappears as well.
Mamu is a character who originates in another game, Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic (夢工場 ドキドキパニック). He was the main villain in the original game where he is the ruler of a storybook world and he sets the events of the game in motion by kidnapping two children and bringing them to his dream factory. The game was localized outside of Japan as Super Mario Bros. 2 with Mario characters replacing the original Arabian Nights-inspired characters. The US localization changed his name to Wart and instead, he is the ruler of the dream realm Subcon. In Link's Awakening he retains his original Japanese name, Mamu, in the English localization.
- Don Gero from Majora's Mask could have been inspired by Mamu from Link's Awakening, who was also the leader of a Frog Choir.
- Despite the fact that Mamu's artwork contains a much more toad-like and older appearance, his sprite looks much more similar to what he originally looked like in Super Mario Bros. 2, and still depicts a crown on his head.
- ↑ "Ribbit! Ribbit! Hey, man, I'm Mamu, on vocals! Brother, you look like you don't know squat about music! Ribbit!" — Mamu (Link's Awakening)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Well, a frog named Mamu, who lives in the Signpost Maze, might know some new songs, but he charges a lot to play them!" — Ulrira (Link's Awakening)
- ↑ "Ribbit! Ribbit! I'm Mamu, on vocals! But I don't need to tell you that, do I? Everybody knows me! Want to hang out and listen to us jam? For 300 Rupees, we'll let you listen to a previously unreleased cut!" — Mamu (Link's Awakening)
- ↑ "Well, that's a shame, but we don't play for free!" — Mamu (Link's Awakening)
- ↑ "You've learned The Frog's Song of Soul! It's a very moving tune... It can even liven up unliving things!" — N/A (Link's Awakening)
- ↑ "If you play this song, you'll make everything around you feel more alive!" — Mamu (Link's Awakening)
- ↑ "Gone on tour." — N/A (Link's Awakening)
- ↑ "But, verily, it be the nature of dreams to end! When I dost awaken, Koholint will be gone." — Wind Fish (Link's Awakening)
|Names in Other Regions|