The Moon Children wearing (left to right) Odolwa's, Goht's, Gyorg's, and Twinmold's Remains
|Era||Era of the Hero of Time|
The Children of the Moon are characters featured in Majora's Mask.
The Moon Children are among the most mysterious aspects surrounding the surface of the Moon. There are five Children, four of which are running around the tree in the center of the field while the fifth sits at the bottom of the tree. The four running children each wear one of the masks that are dropped once the boss enemies are defeated while the fifth wears Majora's Mask. The Children are each identical in height, clothing, and hair color, differing only in the mask they wear. Their gender is debatable but their haircut seems to indicate that they are male.
The children's behavior is also odd. The four ask for different amounts of masks from Link. In return, they agree to play Hide and Seek with him and send him into different mini-puzzle dungeons that are thematically similar to the dungeon ruled by the boss who's mask they wear. Each of these teleportations is accompanied with an enigmatic, slightly disturbing question that concerns Link's, and the player's, beliefs about the world around them, after which the children will ask Link for more masks. The children casually refer to the life-threatening dungeons they send Link into as "games". After Link returns from each dungeon, the child leaves Link alone, their purpose completed. However, if Link did not obtain all of the masks in the game, he cannot complete all of the puzzle dungeons and, consequently, cannot get the Fierce Deity's Mask.
The final child, the one wearing Majora's Mask, will send Link into the final boss battle with the Mask itself if asked. His behavior mimics the other Children as he refers to the fight as a game. He does not ask a disturbing question, but he mentions the absence of the other children if Link has completed the four puzzle dungeons. Furthermore, if Link successfully obtained every mask in the game and gave them to the other children, the final one will comment on this and give Link the Fierce Deity's Mask, the most powerful transformation mask in the game.
Moon Children's Questions
The four children begin their strange sayings in the puzzle dungeons with "Heh, heh... Thanks. You're nice. Umm... Can I ask... a question?" before continuing.
|Your friends... What kind of... people are they? I wonder... Do these people... think of you... as a friend?|
|— Child wearing Odolwa's mask|
|Your true face... What kind of... face is it? I wonder... The face under the mask... Is that... your true face?|
|— Child wearing Twinmold's mask|
|The right thing...what is it? I wonder...if you do the right thing...does it make...everybody...happy?|
|— Child wearing Gyorg's mask|
|What makes you happy? I wonder...what makes you happy...does it make...others happy, too?|
|— Child wearing Goht's mask|
The Moon Child wearing Odolwa's mask
The Moon Child wearing Goht's mask
The Moon Child wearing Gyorg's mask
The Moon Child wearing Twinmold's mask
- "Ahhh... Nice weather...Isn't it? Masks...You have...a lot. You, too...Will you be... a mask salesman? Then I'll play with you. So...The masks...Give me some..." — Moon Children (Majora's Mask)
- "Thanks... You...You're nice person... Aren't you? Hide-and-seek...Let's play. All right...I'll...hide..." — Moon Children (Majora's Mask)
- "Let's play good guys against bad guys... Yes. Let's play that. Are you ready? You're the bad guy. And when you're bad, you just run. That's fine, right?" — The Final Child (Majora's Mask)
- "... Everyone has gone away, haven't they?" — The Final Child (Majora's Mask)
- "You don't have any masks left, do you? Well, let's do something else." — The Final Child (Majora's Mask)
- "Masks...You have...a lot. You, too...Will you be...a mask salesman?" — Moon Children (Majora's Mask)