From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
- This article is about the character from Ocarina of Time. For the town in The Adventure of Link that goes by the same name, see Nabooru (Town).
Nabooru is a Gerudo introduced in Ocarina of Time. She is the second-in-command of the Gerudo, Ganondorf being her only superior. She has a second-in-command herself who is without name. Nabooru is highly respected by the other Gerudo, who are unaware of her rebellion against Ganondorf. During the events of Ocarina of Time, she becomes the new Sage of Spirit and aids Link in his battle against Ganon.
Appearances and Biography
Ocarina of Time
Link met Nabooru in the Spirit Temple as a child, having used a Warp song he had learned in the future to reach the remote area of desert it stood in. At that time, Nabooru was already in opposition to Ganondorf's behavior. She knew that Ganondorf's followers used the Spirit Temple as headquarters, so she intended to enter and disrupt their plans in any way she could. However, in order to reach the inner temple, she needed the Silver Gauntlets, which were out of reach beyond a very small opening. When Link arrived, she saw an opportunity and asked him to get the gauntlets for her. In return, she promised to "do something great" for him. Link accepted her request and went to get the gauntlets. He succeeded in obtaining them but was not able to give them to Nabooru. In the time Link had taken to find the gauntlets, Koume and Kotake, two of Ganondorf's most loyal minions, had discovered Nabooru. Even as Nabooru was dragged away, her thoughts went out to Link, worried that he would also fall victim to the two witches.
Link traveled back to the future, so that he could use the Silver Gauntlets and enter the temple. In the seven years that passed, Nabooru was brainwashed. Despite her betrayal, Ganondorf and the Twinrova sisters apparently still deemed her too valuable to simply dispose of. Nabooru was used to lead the Gerudo to do the things she so strongly disapproved of. Somewhat ironically, rumors started to spread that Nabooru was conducting brainwashing experiments on people at the Spirit Temple, rather than being brainwashed herself.
Link confronted Twinrova in the Spirit Temple, while they were fussing over a strange Iron Knuckle. They ordered it to attack him and vanished. Link cut off the Iron Knuckle's armor to discover that it was none other than Nabooru. By freeing her from the armor, she regained her free will - much to the annoyance of the Twinrova sisters, who reappeared and recaptured her even as she tried to run away. Link was forced to confront them again to free Nabooru. By disposing of Twinrova, not only did he free Nabooru, but also awakened her as the sixth Sage. Nabooru complimented Link on his achievements and gave him the Spirit Medallion.
When Link defeated Ganon, Nabooru and the other Sages joined their powers to seal away Ganon. During the ending, she could be seen overlooking a celebrating Hyrule on Death Mountain with the other Sages.
Her role in the Ocarina of Time manga is slightly different to in the game. She is under the influence of Koume and Kotake, but not transformed into an Iron Knuckle. She is sent to spy on Sheik which results in her combating Link. Link frees her from the influence which allows her to help release the other Gerudo. She also gives Link the Mirror Shield, which she claims she stole a while back.
The Wind Waker
While Nabooru did not appear in The Wind Waker, one of the stained glass windows in Hyrule Castle's basement depicted her.
Just after Link promises to get her the Silver Gauntlets, she says that she'll "do something great" for Link. And when she awakens as a Sage seven years later, she remarks that if she had known that Link "would become such a handsome man", she would've kept her promise. There is a lot of speculation as to what Nabooru intended to reward Link with. Given that Nabooru pretty much states she is somewhat attracted to Link, theories range from a mere kiss to an arranged marriage. Others think that Nabooru might have intended to make Link her second-in-command. It is also possible that Nabooru, being a cunning and crafty thief, had no real reward in mind, possibly even believing that Link could never succeed in his assignment.
Nabooru breaking the spirit barrier
Ruto and Nabooru during the ending scene of Ocarina of Time
Nabooru within the Chamber of the Sages
Nabooru, Link, and Navi within the Chamber of the Sages
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "The leader of the gang of thieves is Nabooru. She is experimenting in brainwashing many people at the ruins in the desert." — Carpenter (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 "Kid, let me thank you. Heheheh...look what the little kid has become in the past seven years--a competent swordsman! By the way... I really messed up... I was brainwashed by those old witches and used by Ganondorf to do his evil will... But isn't it funny? That a person like me could turn out to be the Sage of Spirit!" — Nabooru (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "They say that the thief named Nabooru, who haunts this area, is a Gerudo." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "The exalted Nabooru, our leader, put me in charge of this fortress. Nabooru is the second-in-command to the great Ganondorf, King of the Gerudo Thieves." — Nabooru's Second-in-command (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 "She's just a little girl, but she commands a lot of respect among the Gerudo, Kotake..." — Koume (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "First of all, let me introduce myself. I'm Nabooru of the Gerudo. I'm a lone wolf thief. But don't get me wrong! Though we're both thieves, I'm completely different from Ganondorf. With his followers, he stole from women and children, and he even killed people! A kid like you may not know this, but the Gerudo race consists only of women. Only one man is born every hundred years... Even though our laws say that lone male Gerudo must become King of the Gerudo, I'll never bow to such an evil man!" — Nabooru (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "I want to ask you a favor... Will you go through this tiny hole and get a treasure that's inside? The treasure is the Silver Gauntlets. If you equip them, you can easily push and pull very heavy things! No, no, no, kid! Don't even think about taking this treasure for yourself! The Silver Gauntlets won't fit a little kid like you if you try to equip them! I want you to be a good boy and give them to me! Ganondorf and his minions are using the Spirit Temple as a hideout. Only the Silver Gauntlets will allow me to sneak deep into the temple. Once there, I'm going to steal all the treasure inside and mess up their plans! How about it? Will you do it?" — Nabooru (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "If you can successfully get the Silver Gauntlets... I'll do something great for you!" — Nabooru (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Thanks, kid! You and I, let's give Ganondorf and his followers a big surprise, shall we?" — Nabooru (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "You found the Silver Gauntlets! If you wore them, you would feel power in your arms, the power to lift big things with (A)! But, these gauntlets won't fit a kid... Plus, you promised to give them to Nabooru. You should keep your word..." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Yeearggh! Let me go!! You, you fiends! Ganondorf's minions! Link! Get out of here! Now! These witches! They're using black magic on me!" — Nabooru (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 "Then we should brainwash her again! Hee hee hee!" — Koume (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "When Nabooru was a lone wolf thief, she never stole from the weak, but... Now, Nabooru's gang of thieves stands for cruelty and brutality. She claims to be a chivalrous robber, but...no way!" — Carpenter (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Iron Knuckle - Something's strange... This is not an ordinary enemy!" — Navi (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Well, well... Looks like she's back to normal... Koume..." — Kotake (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Maybe we should make her work for the great Ganondorf for a little while longer! Ho ho ho!" — Kotake (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "You received the Spirit Medallion!! Nabooru awakens as a Sage and adds her power to yours!" — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "If only I knew you would become such a handsome man... I should have kept the promise I made back then..." — Nabooru (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "The leader of the gang of thieves is Nabooru. She is experimenting in brainwashing many people at the ruins in the desert." — Carpenter (Ocarina of Time)
| Names in Other Regions
|| Sage of Spirit, Nabooru
|| 魂の賢者、ナボール (Tamashī no Kenja, Nabōru)
|| Sage of Spirit, Nabooru
|| Nabooru, Sabia del espíritu
|| Sage de l'Esprit, Nabooru
|| Nabooru, Sage de l'esprit
||Weise der Geister, Naboru
|| Sage of Spirits, Naboru