From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Just when it seemed that the world was to be cast into the darkest of shadows, the tiny Picori appeared from the skies and bestowed on a courageous human a shining golden light and a single sword.|
|— The Minish Cap|
The Picori Blade, as seen in the introduction
|Game(s)||The Minish Cap|
|Use(s)||Repel and banish evil|
|Comparable Object(s)|| Master Sword|
The Picori Blade is an enchanted sword that was given to the Hero of Men when the Picori appeared and was said to be one of two gifts from the Picori, the other being the Light Force. The sword was used to defeat evil and was ultimately enshrined as a sacred sword.
By the time of The Minish Cap, the sword has been placed in a chest called Bound Chest, much like how the Master Sword is placed in the Pedestal of Time, and is only brought out once a year so that the winner of the annual sword competition can have the honor of touching it. The winner of the sword competition in the year The Minish Cap takes place is Vaati.
He uses this chance to break open the chest, ultimately destroying the blade, in hopes of finding the Light Force, only to find it is not there and that he has only released demons into Hyrule which were previously captured and trapped inside by the Hero of Men.
The sword is broken by Vaati in The Minish Cap and it becomes Link's quest to reforge it. Later on, the sword is reforged by Melari and then becomes known as the White Sword. Link then takes it to the Elemental Sanctuary to infuse it with the elements he has collected. When Link first goes to the sanctuary, he has the Earth and Fire Elements. The hilt of the blade turns into the color of the latest element he collects.
- The chest that seals the monsters inside it is an allusion to the Greek Myth of Pandora's Box in which all of the evil in the world was sealed inside a box and released when the first woman Pandora opened the box.
- The Picori Blade resembles the Master Sword because of its purple hilt.
- ↑ "Do you know about that sword, Link? It is called the Picori Blade, and it locks much evil away in that chest." — Minister Potho (The Minish Cap)
- ↑ "Whoever wins the competition earns the honor of touching the sacred blade." — Minister Potho (The Minish Cap)
- ↑ "...?!? Empty? There was nothing in there but those monsters? What is the meaning of this? Well, I know the force I'm after is somewhere out there. I'm in no hurry. I can take my time searching for it. Heh heh heh..." — Vaati (The Minish Cap)
- ↑ "Here, take a look! I call this blade the White Sword!" — Melari (The Minish Cap)