From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
It has been suggested that this article be moved to Pictograph
Pictography is the premier photographic medium of the Zelda universe, operating as a function of the many different Pictograph Boxes that take pictures of anything and everything in the surrounding landscape in the game in which it is featured. Often, capturing pictures only offer sidequest-related rewards, not to mention the personal benefits of a bit of leisure time away from Link's stressful quest.
Background on the Pictograph
A Pictograph is a sort of photograph, taken using a Pictograph Box. Depending on which Picto Box Link has (normal or deluxe, depending on the game), it is possible to get black and white or color pictographs, respectively. They are first introduced in Majora's Mask, where, at the time, only sepia-toned pictographs could be taken, and they were mostly used for minor parts of the game (such as bringing a pictograph of either Tingle or the Deku King to the Swamp Tourist Center Guide, as well as bringing a picture of a Gerudo pirate to the fisherman from the Great Bay Coast).
Upgrading the Picto Box
- Main article: Lenzo's Research Assistant
Legendary Pictographs are special pictographs featured in The Wind Waker which depict rare subjects. These subjects, with one exception, cannot be captured on film by standard methods. Instead, Link must purchase these pictographs from Lenzo for 50 Rupees each. However, they can only be purchased after Link officially completes the Forsaken Fortress and has obtained the Deluxe Picto Box. The pictograph that is offered changes with the phase of the Moon.
These are the Legendary Pictographs that can be obtained:
|Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule||Waxing gibbous|
|Ganondorf *||Full Moon|
|Great Fairy||Waning gibbous|
|Queen of Fairies||Waning crescent|
* The Pictograph of Ganondorf can be obtained by taking it during the final boss fight, then saving the game and quitting.
Color Pictography Quests
Windfall Island also includes various sidequests for the Deluxe Picto Box. Link must find the people requesting pictures and construe exactly what or whom to take a pictograph of. Each quest has it own reward, from Treasure Charts to a Heart Piece. These quests include:
- Kamo asks Link for a colored pictograph portraying the full moon. The reward is the 31st Treasure Chart.
- Minenco asks Link for a colored pictograph portraying herself. The reward is the 33rd Treasure Chart.
- The Anton and Linda reunion. Linda tells Link that she feels that someone is looking for her love, but hasn't succeeded yet. Link then takes a full-body picture of her and shows it to Anton, who tells Link that, indeed, he's the one interested to have a concrete relationship with the girl, and resolves to talk to her. One day passes, and Link finds the couple in the Cafe Bar; Linda thanks Link for pairing her with Anton, and gives him a Heart Piece.
- Showing a pictograph of Lenzo talking with Minenco to the gossip women near Zunari's Shop gives Link the 24th Treasure Chart.
- Main article: Nintendo Gallery
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||伝説の写し絵 (Densetsu no Utsushie)|
|French||Photo de Légende|