|Title(s)||Survivor of the Sheikahs|
|Race||Hylian (disguised as Sheikah)|
|Gender||Female (disguised as male)[note 1]|
|Game(s)||Ocarina of Time|
|Non-canon Appearances|| Ocarina of Time manga|
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
|Era||Era of the Hero of Time|
|Voice Actor(s)||Jun Mizusawa|
|Theme Music||File:Sheik's Theme.ogg|
Sheik (pronounced /ˈʃiːk/ SHEEK) is Princess Zelda disguised as a male Sheikah. He[note 1] claims to be the last surviving Sheikah. Sheik aids Link on his quest by teaching him various warp songs with his Harp. He does not reveal his identity or motives to Link until all the Sages are freed.
Ocarina of Time
Sheik reveals himself to Link shortly after Link is freed from the Chamber of Sages after his seven year imprisonment. He informs Link that he must awaken the seven sages in order to bring peace back to Hyrule. Alerting him of the need to possess a new tool, the Hookshot in order to enter the temples, Sheik stays in front of the pedestal. He then later appears when Link arrives at the Sacred Forest Meadow. He tells Link about the warp songs used to warp to temple entrances and teaches him the Minuet of Forest before disappearing again. Further along, Sheik approaches Link at the Fire Temple entrance in the Death Mountain Crater, teaching him the Bolero of Fire before walking away, using a wall of flame to halt Link's inquiring advance.
Sheik once again mysteriously appears in the Ice Cavern to inform Link of the fate of the Zoras and to teach him the Serenade of Water. He then awaits outside the Water Temple for Link to free the temple from Morpha's influence and awaken the Water Temple sage before disappearing once again.
When Kakariko Village comes under attack from a mysterious force, Link discovers that Sheik is already there. Together they encounter and are defeated by an invisible monster thought to be the Shadow Spirit. Sheik teaches Link the Nocturne of Shadow and urges Link to help Impa fight the Shadow Spirit. When Link discovers that he must venture back in time in order to do so, Sheik offers a helping hand informing Link on how to use the Master Sword and the Pedestal of Time in order to travel back and forth through time. He teaches Link the Prelude of Light then once again vanishes.
At the entrance of the Spirit Temple, Sheik appears to have been waiting for Link from atop a large rock formation, and once again, informs Link that he must enter the temple as a child, utilizing the Pedestal of Time in the Temple of Time. He gives Link a lesson on performing the Requiem of Spirit before using the desert winds as cover to vanish.
With all six sages freed, Link is instructed to return to the Temple of Time where none other than Sheik awaits. Sheik congratulates Link on his efforts and offers an explanation on what exactly happened to Hyrule during Link's disappearance before finally revealing his true identity as Princess Zelda.
According to the Super Smash Bros. Brawl official site and Hyrule Historia, a design of Sheik was drafted as he might appear in Twilight Princess, but this idea was later scrapped. His Twilight Princess model was used in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
Ocarina of Time comprises Sheik's only canonical appearance. Within that game, Sheik's gender is referred to once in the English version, when Princess Ruto referred to Sheik as a "a young man" and "him". The Official Nintendo Player's Guide also describes Sheik as "a young man". Contrarily, Sheik is referred to using feminine pronouns on the official Zelda website. Eiji Aonuma has said that, according to a survey, American players preferred female characters that were more independent, citing Sheik and Tetra as examples.
On August 5, 2014, Bill Trinen, Nintendo's senior product marketing manager and head translator for Ocarina of Time, stated in an interview that since Sheik is just Zelda in disguise, and since Zelda is female, Sheik is also female.
Because Sheik is a disguise that is intended to be perceived as male, Zelda Wiki refers to Sheik with male pronouns for his canon appearance.
Sheik with his mouth uncovered in the Ocarina of Time manga
Hyrule Warriors Sheik - Harp gameplay
- See #Gender
- "I am Sheik. Survivor of the Sheikahs..." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "I've been waiting for you, Hero of Time..." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "When evil rules all, an awakening voice from the Sacred Realm will call those destined to be Sages, who dwell in the five temples. One in a deep forest... One on a high mountain... One under a vast lake... One within the house of the dead... One inside a goddess of the sand..." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "Unfortunately, equipped as you currently are, you cannot even enter the temple... But, if you believe what I'm saying, you should head to Kakariko Village..." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "In order to come back here again, play the Minuet of Forest." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "This song is dedicated to the power of the heart... Listen to the Bolero of Fire..." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "We meet again, Link... If you came here to meet the Zoras, you wasted your time... This is all there is... With one exception, the Zoras are all now sealed under this thick ice sheet..." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "A childish mind will turn to noble ambition... Young love will become deep affection... The clear water's surface reflects growth... Now listen to the Serenade of Water to reflect upon yourself...." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "Destroy the evil shadow spirit and save Impa! There is an entrance to the Shadow Temple beneath the graveyard behind this village. The only thing I can do for you is teach you the melody that will lead you to the Shadow Temple... This is the melody that will draw you into the infinite darkness that absorbs even time... Listen to this, the Nocturne of Shadow!!" — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "If you want to return to your original time, return the Master Sword to the Pedestal of Time. By doing this, you will travel back in time seven years..." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "The time will come when you will have to return here quickly... I will teach this to you for when that time comes... The song to return you to the Temple of Time... The Prelude of Light..." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "The Master Sword is a ship with which you can sail upstream and downstream through time's river... The port for that ship is in the Temple of Time... To restore the Desert Colossus and enter the Spirit Temple, you must travel back through time's flow..." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "Listen to this Requiem of Spirit... This melody will lead a child back to the desert." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- Super Smash Bros. DOJO!! - Sheik
- "A young man named Sheik saved me from under the ice..." — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "If you see Sheik, please give him my thanks, OK?" — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "Sheik always covered her face and muffled her voice to protect her identity, but Link soon learned that this helpful soul was in fact his good friend Princess Zelda. Her unusual dress and demeanor came from being raised as a Sheikah by her protector Impa." — Zelda Universe, Zelda.com, retrieved June 28, 2014.
- "We recently received information from a survey conducted in the US that indicated that, among our female characters, users had a preference for those that were more on the independent side, such as Shiek and Tetra" — Zelda Developer Was Stumped By New Zelda Game’s Puzzles, Kotaku, published Nov 25, 2009, retrieved Oct 2, 2011.
- "The definitive answer is that Sheik is a woman — simply Zelda in a different outfit." — Zelda Fans Debate Sheik's Gender, but Here's Nintendo's Final Word, Kotaku, published August 5, 2014, retrieved August 5, 2014.
- Sheik, Smash Bros. DOJO!! (archive), published January 21, 2008, retrieved June 28, 2014.
- "This is Zelda's alter ego. Using a variation of the name of the ancient Sheikah tribe, she appears before Link and teaches him melodies instrumental to his success. It's believed that she's not just a quick-change artist, but rather that she is able to instantaneously alter her clothing and her eye and skin color by using her magical skills." — Sheik trophy (Super Smash Bros. Melee)
- "Strategically switching between Zelda and Sheik is key. Compared to her Zelda form, Sheik is nimble and has gorgeous moves, but she lacks a strong knockout attack. The number of needles thrown in Needle Storm is based on how long you hold the B Button before releasing it. Use the Control Stick to wave the Chain after brandishing it." — Sheik (Smash) trophy (Super Smash Bros. Melee)
- "The best strategy to use when playing as Sheik is to let her flow from one powerful attack into another, like a river of quicksilver. Zelda has some techniques with more punch, however, so in one-on-one battles, use Transform as needed. Sheik only travels a short way when using Vanish, but the move comes with a small explosion that damages foes around her." — Sheik (Smash) trophy (Super Smash Bros. Melee)
- "The persona Zelda adopted to escape from Ganondorf. She completely hid all traces of her Zelda identity and appeared to Link as the last member of the Sheikah tribe. She taught Link essential ocarina melodies and then vanished in an instant. She didn't appear very often--rather, she would show up to support Link in crucial situations." — Sheik trophy (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
- Hyrule Warriors Direct, YouTube, published August 4, 2014.
|Names in Other Regions|