Shipping in The Legend of Zelda Universe
Shipping, derived from the word "relationship," is a term used to denote a fans' interest or belief in the possible (and perhaps more often impossible) romantic relationship between two characters in a piece of fiction belonging to any medium. Perhaps one of the most popular topics of discussion among fans of the Zelda series is who Link's romantic interest is or should be. There are various other shippings in the Zelda fanbase that do not involve Link; however, those are far less common. The three most popular pairings are Link and Zelda, Link and Malon, and Link and Midna.
Link and Zelda
Throughout the course of the series, there have been many implications of a romantic relationship between Link and Princess Zelda, and is possibly one of the most popular shippings in the Zelda universe. Support for this is provided by hints in some of the games, interviews with the game creators, the cartoons, and the comics/manga.
The Adventure of Link
After Princess Zelda is awakened, she calls Link a "real hero" for saving Hyrule. The curtain then slowly falls in front of them and once it completely covers them, the two get closer to each other.
Ocarina of Time
During the ending, Link and Zelda are floating in the sky together with Zelda's Lullaby playing in the background. In this same scene, Princess Zelda holds Link's hand for a while as he gives back the Ocarina of Time, with Zelda looking down sorrowfully all the while.
After defeating Ganon, Princess Zelda rewards Link with a kiss on the cheek, causing Zelda to turn away blushing and for Link to swoon with hearts floating over his head.
Before Link departs the land of Hyrule, Princess Zelda gives the Ocarina of Time to Link as a memento of the time they spent together, moments which she mentions that she'll never forget. She also teaches Link the Song of Time, a melody which reminds her of the two of them.
The Wind Waker
After Link gets Nayru's Pearl from Jabun and visits Beedle, Beedle says that a young pirate girl came and sold him some bombs. He then asks Link if he's met her and then says that he can see him blushing. During the ending of the credits, two bubbles with Link and Tetra slowly float next to each other with Zelda's Lullaby playing in the background. Also, Ganondorf at one point in the game tells Link that he has taken "[his] precious Zelda."
Despite their limited interaction in this game, there is at least one hint of romance between Link and Zelda: when the Light Spirits give Zelda the Light Arrow. In this scene, Zelda asks for Link's help to defeat Ganondorf, to which the young hero answers by holding out his hand for Zelda to take.
Spirit TracksSpirit Tracks, a stronger relationship is seen between Link and Zelda, as Zelda is around for the entire game, much longer compared to her appearances in other games. As such, it is one of the few games in the series that gives strong in-game hints about their close bond.
During Link's graduation ceremony, Link, who was bowing down respectfully, looks up and gasps as Princess Zelda walks in the room, although he is soon scolded by Chancellor Cole for raising his head up without permission.
After Link and Zelda defeat Byrne atop the Tower of Spirits, Zelda comments that when they combine their strength, "no one can defeat [them]." Link looks at her and smiles, to which Princess Zelda laughs and nods back. They then high-five each other, all while Zelda's Lullaby plays in the now-white background.
Before the final battle against Malladus, Zelda recovers her body atop the sky and begins to fall due to her not being able to float anymore. Link quickly runs to catch her, but Zelda's fall causes Link to crash into the ground. When Zelda regains consciousness and realizes that she has reunited with her body, she quickly turns to Link and hugs him, much to his surprise, causing him to open his eyes wide and blush.
In Skyward Sword, Link and Zelda have been close friends since childhood. Their interactions, however, suggest that they are much closer than that. Zelda in particular tends to giggle a lot when talking to Link, and in an Easter egg in her room at the Knight Academy, she has a few of the wood carvings that Link makes. Hers is the only room other than Link's that has these carvings, suggesting they were given as gifts.
Before the Wing Ceremony begins, Link meets Zelda in front of the Statue of the Goddess, where she shows off the clothes that she will be wearing to the ceremony since Zelda wanted Link to be the first one to see her in her new outfit. Since the Wing Ceremony is part of the final test to become a knight of Skyloft, Zelda continuously worries that Link has not been practicing hard enough, even thinking that he might mess up his chance of becoming a knight. To help him win, Zelda encourages Link to "fly [his] heart out" and get some practice time before the race.
Besides this, Zelda also defends Link whenever he is being bullied by Groose. After Link's Crimson Loftwing goes missing, Link confronts Groose about it, but he berates the young hero for seemingly showing off how close he and Zelda are, and how she is always the one defending Link. Zelda arrives and demands that Groose stop pestering Link.
After Link wins the race, Zelda jumps off Skyloft and into Link's Loftwing, where he catches her into his arms. They then head to the top of the Statue of the Goddess for the second portion of the ceremony. Once Link receives the Sailcloth from Zelda, the description mentions it "smells nice," since she had been wearing it. Zelda thanks Link for finishing the ceremony with her like he promised and tells him that they should finish up the ritual. She teases him about what happens at the end of the ritual and gets close to him before revealing that he has to jump off the statue and land using the sailcloth.
Once Link successfully completes the ritual, Zelda asks the young hero if he would like to fly around the clouds together. As they are flying, Zelda fondly smiles at Link and tells him that she enjoyed the moments they spent together as they performed the ritual, saying she will always remember this day. She also begins to tell him something she had been meaning to talk to about with Link, but she is interrupted when Ghirahim's tornado throws her off her Loftwing.
Throughout the game, Link acts with relief and excitement whenever he catches up to Zelda. Another possible hint is his reaction to Ghirahim's attack at the Temple of Time. While a textbook example of a hero, Link's reaction seems especially protective of Zelda, on a more personal level. Later on, when it is revealed that Zelda is Hylia reincarnated, Her Grace mentions that she used Link since she knew that the young hero would "throw [himself] headfirst into any danger, without even a moment's doubt" if it meant saving Zelda. As Zelda is preparing to sleep for thousands of years in a crystal to ensure Demise's seal, she mentions to Link that she was happy merely spendings her days hanging around with Link in Skyloft and wanted that feeling to last forever. Link, watching as Zelda is beginning to seal herself away, desperately runs towards her but is kept apart as Zelda becomes engulfed by the crystal, pounding on it frantically. Zelda then reminds Link that although she may be Hylia reborn, she is still "[his] Zelda". Link dejectedly looks down before walking away.
Once free from the crystal, Link runs up to Zelda as if to embrace her. When she stumbles, he instead catches her in his arms and cradles her for several moments before helping her up. When Ghirahim steps in yet again and captures her, Link draws his sword angrily, ready to fight his enemy one last time, despite his apparent injuries. Finally, after the defeat of Demise, Link and Zelda stand on the platform of the Statue of the Goddess in the Sealed Grounds. There, Zelda says that she had always dreamed of seeing the solid ground, and now that she has, wishes to live there. When she asks Link what he will do now, Link smiles at her, and then the camera pans to show both his and Zelda's Loftwings flying back into the sky, implying that Link chose to stay with Zelda.
Besides the game itself, Nintendo also created a "Zelda: Skyward Sword Romance Trailer" available in the 3DS eShop. It features several scenes from the early portion of the game that hint at romantic involvement between Link and Zelda.
A Link Between Worlds
It is stated when visiting the Rumor Guy that Princess Zelda longingly stares at a painting of her ancestor (Princess Zelda from A Link to the Past) cuddling with the Hero of A Link to the Past. This heavily implies she wishes a similar relationship with the Hero of her day.
Interviews with game creators
- Interviewer: We have received several emails in which our readers ask: Will Zelda and Link ever be involved [romantically]? [laughs] I'm sorry, but we had to ask.
- Aonuma: [laughs] Good question. Well, as you already know, we are now dealing with a teenage Link, and as you know, teenagers are very emotional beings, so there are definitely possibilities of seeing Link showing his feelings towards the princess. But honestly, we don’t know what the future holds.
In another interview Mr. Aonuma answers another question about this relationship in Twilight Princess.
- Interviewer: Will we see a charming and affectionate romance [between Link and] the princess?
- Aonuma: Well, we're creating an adolescent storyline and we try to present it how it should be; in fact, if you played it – or will play it – you’ll notice that the way Link holds the sword is much cooler than how he used to do it. Link will now do things in a way that will make him look more confident and liberated. And yes, it's true that teenagers have these relationships -- and we would love if it could happen with the princess – but I can't talk about anything yet.
- Interviewer: Does Link have a girlfriend?
- Miyamoto: If it was Princess Zelda, it would be great. However, this time Navi [the fairy] is jealous of Zelda. So within the story, Navi feels something for Link.
More recently, Eiji Aonuma stated in a Nintendo Power interview:
- After the time warp, when Link wakes up seven years later, he's extremely concerned about what has become of Zelda. If he found out right away, that wouldn't be very interesting, but if he didn't know until the very end, and then he learned that she'd been captured by Ganon all that time, that would be even worse.
And lastly, in the video documentary titled "The History of Zelda", Miyamoto comments:
- Ocarina was fun, and it also was Zelda-like...the story's a little romantic, though, which is not very Zelda-like.
Aside from the vague hints that Aonuma and Miyamoto have given, the game creators haven't precisely confirmed any sort of romantic relationship between the young hero and the princess.
Link and Zelda's relationship is also expounded upon in non-canon materials. In manga, such as the Ocarina of Time manga, Link and Zelda are shown to have a much more obvious romantic relationship than what is seen in the video games, as demonstrated by the examples below. Dialogue within the manga and Link's inability to stop thinking about Princess Zelda throughout the manga provides more evidence for fans to back-up the LinkxZelda shipping.
In the Valiant Comics of The Legend of Zelda, taking place after The Adventure of Link, Link confronts Dark Link and says: "I let the woman I love face her doom alone just so I could be here to put an end to your tyranny..." In this quote, Link plainly says that he loves her. In another issue, Zelda blatantly states that she loves Link, although she later denies it.
The Zelda animated series exemplifies a romantic relationship between Link and Zelda. Link is always begging the princess for a kiss; however, even when she agrees to indulge him, it never occurs: they are interrupted by monsters, Spryte or any number of unfortunate circumstances such as something making Zelda so mad she no longer wants to kiss the young hero. Despite this, it is revealed in "The Missing Link" that Zelda loves Link, although she tries to deny it and say that she only likes him "a little." She most likely kept it a secret from him so as to prevent it from going into Link's head. To cover this up, she sometimes makes fun of Link and for the most part has a love-hate relationship with him throughout the show.
A Link to the Past Comic
In the A Link to the Past comic, Princess Zelda shares a closer relationship with Link than in the game of the same name. She provides him support throughout his journey to rescue her from Agahnim's clutches, even going as far as sharing a dream with the young hero.
After obtaining the Pendant of Power, Zelda appears to Link and explains that they are in a dream, for if two people dream the same thing, they will meet. The princess tells Link to rest and encourages him to not give up while he begins to fall asleep on her lap, complaining about his arm hurting. When Link wakes up, he finds that someone has bandaged his arm and is actually standing in front of the Tower of Hera.
Having freed the second and last maiden, Link hears Zelda contact him telepathically from beyond the wasteland. Epheremelda, who cannot hear Zelda's calling, advises Link against going to the wasteland since it is too dangerous, and once they get in there, there will be no way to escape. She recommends that they go find the map first, but Link disregards her suggestion, for he claims that if the wasteland is as dangerous as she says, then he has to rescue Zelda as soon as possible. This angers Epheremelda, who claims that Link never worries about her and that all he ever talks about is Zelda, leading the fairy to indignantly leave Link's side.
The young hero is then seen looking at the Master Sword back in its pedestal in the Lost Woods, when he then hears Zelda speak to him from behind. She begins to comment on how although the bond between them was so strong when she was in Ganon's clutches, now that they are both free and at peace, their duties now keep them apart, leaving the queen to feel alone. As Zelda begins to gallop away on her horse, she confesses to Link that as long as she lives, she will never forget the time when they were together in their dreams.Zelda's courtyard, Link asks Zelda whether she should be telling her all about the Sacred Realm and the Ocarina of Time. Princess Zelda replies that because Link believed in her story, she believes in him. Zelda sweetly smiles at Link, which causes him to blush.
Before Link leaves the courtyard to find the rest of the Spiritual Stones, Zelda gives Link a kiss on the cheek and tells him to be careful, causing Link to blush and swoon and leave the castle with excitement.
As Link and Malon are fighting off the Gerudo that came to attack Lon Lon Ranch, Malon asks Link why he only refers to Princess Zelda as "Zelda" and not "Princess" and wonders just how close the two of them are. Although Link doesn't reply, she then says: "You don't have to answer, I can see it in your eyes..."
When Princess Zelda reveals herself to be Sheik and explains her reasons for her actions, Link looks at her and tells her that he missed her. Just as they are about to embrace each other, they are interrupted by Ganondorf, who kidnaps Zelda.
At the end of the Four Swords manga, Link and Zelda are shown holding hands together.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
In the Subspace Emissary from Super Smash Bros. Brawl, if Zelda got turned into a trophy by Bowser, Link and Yoshi eventually arrive to the Lake Shore and are continuing in their pursuit of the Halberd. Just as the False Zelda is about to fire the Dark Cannon at the pair, Mario and Pit slash the weapon in two, and the pair easily defeat the clone. However, just then, Link stops running and looks up to see Mario and Pit standing next to the trophy of the False Zelda, which begins to desintegrate. Thinking that Mario has destroyed the true Zelda's trophy, he rushes towards him and attacks Mario with his sword, which the plumber dodges. Link and Yoshi then engage in combat against Mario and Pit, but they lose and are turned into trophies.
In Hyrule Warriors, while Zelda and Impa are inspecting their soldiers' training, Zelda's attention immediately sets on Link after he defeats one of the trainees. Link looks up to her and for a brief moment they both stare. Later, after Zelda explains that she was hiding her identify to protect herself from her enemies, she tells Link that he has extraordinary courage. He then smiles at her. Towards the end of the game, Link and Zelda both return the Master Sword together at the Temple of the Sacred Sword and walk out the gate. Lana had also insisted that only the two of them could do it together.
Link and Marin
While walking together, Link and Marin share a moment together while standing on a small cliff overlooking the sea. Marin mentions that the cliff should be their secret place.
At one point in the game, Marin confesses to Link that she wishes to know everything about him.
Near the end of the game, some monsters kidnap Marin while she was singing to the Wind Fish egg and placed her on a rotting segment of the bridge crossing between the Tal Tal Mountains. Calling for help, she admits to Link that she's afraid of heights. Link rescues her using the Hookshot and, for a brief moment, she begins to admit something to him, but as she was about to confess, her father, Tarin, calls and breaks the moment.
Link and Saria
As Link is leaving Kokiri Forest in Ocarina of Time, Saria appears behind him and tells him that although she knew he was meant to leave the forest, she doesn't mind because she knows the two of them will be friends forever. As a memento, she gives the young hero the Fairy Ocarina. Saria tells Link to play it so that he will think of her and decide to return to the forest to visit.
Mido is often jealous of the close bond that Saria and Link have and accuses the young hero of flirting with Saria all the time. When Link is showing Saria how to use the Slingshot he just made, Mido angrily glares at Link and says: "That creep! He's flirting with Saria again!" Furthermore, when Link goes inside the Great Deku Tree to defeat Gohma, Mido says he'll go with Link too since he won't let Link show off in front of Saria again. When Link asks what he's talking about, Mido says, "I won't let you have her!"
Link and Malon
After Link successfully completes Talon's Super Cucco minigame in Ocarina of Time, Talon mentions that Link has the talent to be one of the world's best cowboys. He then asks if he would like to marry Malon, but Talon quickly laughs and says he was just joking.
A Gossip Stone in front of the Temple of Time mentions how Malon wishes that a "knight in shining armor" would come and "sweep her off her feet someday." This is likely the basis for the scenes described in the adult chapters of the Ocarina of Time manga.
After Kaepora Gaebora comes to the ranch and starts to take him away to Zora's Domain, Malon asks if he's "going already." Link promises to come back, and Malon yells out to him as he's leaving that he "better" keep his promise.
Once Link tells Malon that he's come to save her, she replies that although she appreciates the thought, she's waiting to be saved by a prince, "not a fairy child." However, shortly after when Link protects her from the attacks of the Gerudo, she gazes at Link with amazement and comments to herself that the "fairy child [has] grown up."
In the next page, Link uses the hookshot to escape from the Gerudo attacks, and as she is being swept off her feet by Link, she wonders if he could be her long-awaited prince, all the while by looking at Link in admiration and awe. The next panel shows Malon sitting down with her heart beating and reassuring herself that "maybe he is" her prince.
Link and RutoPrincess Ruto exit Lord Jabu-Jabu's belly in Ocarina of Time, the two of them are standing atop a tree trunk in Zora's Fountain. Princess Ruto deeply gazes at Link, which causes the young hero to fall from the tree trunk into the water. Ruto, who follows Link into the water and slowly swims closer to him, then comments that Link "looked cool" while fighting. As a reward for saving her, she gives him the Spiritual Stone of Water, which is, unbeknown to Link, the Zora's engagement ring.
After Link rescues Princess Ruto, Ruto decides to give Link the Zora's Sapphire to the young hero instead of the man that her dad has prepared for her to marry. She says that it's the stone that she's supposed to give to her fiancée. Once Link thanks her and begins to depart, she blushes and tells him, "Be sure to come back!"
After Morpha is defeated and Ruto awakens as a sage, she tells Link that he is worthy of being her fiancée, and begins to talk about how grand and happy her wedding will be. However, she then says that it cannot be, for she has to remain the Sage of Water. Link, with a surprised look on his face, replies, "Oh, gee... That's such a...a shame, really."
Link and Nabooru
When young Link accepts Nabooru's request to go and get the Silver Gauntlets for her in Ocarina of Time, she mentions that she'll do something great for Link if he manages to retrieve the gauntlets. Seven years later, once Nabooru awakens as a Sage and realizes that Link has become "such a handsome man", she regrets not having kept the promise she made to him as a kid.
Link and Cremia
After Link successfully helps Cremia get past the Gorman Brothers for a second time in Majora's Mask, Cremia will give a hug to Link instead of Rupees. The text display mentions that Link feels all "warm and fuzzy" inside and says that the young hero could get used to it.
Link and Din
In the beginning Oracle of Seasons, one of the members of the Troupe tells Link that Din seems to be attracted to him. The prologue from the manual also hints that Link shows interest in Din as well. After they dance, she compliments him on his dancing skills. She also notices the Triforce crest on his left hand and then states that he is a hero with a special fate. Afterwards, she then begins to admit something, but does not finish her sentence, only to continue dancing. In a Linked Game of Oracle of Seasons, Din tells almost the same thing to Link in its Unlinked counterpart, with a few exceptions. She expresses her joy of having Link by her side.
Link and Ilia
When Wolf Link finally finds Ilia, Midna teases him: "Aw, what an emotional reunion! Yes, a girl and her wolf! Eee hee!".
Once Ilia recovers her memory, the scenery changes to that of Link, Ilia and Epona in the Ordon Spring. The two of them share a moment as they look and smile at each other.
Link and Midna
After Link listens to Midna's tale of the Twilight while in the Gerudo Desert, she asks if he'll go with her to find the Mirror of Twilight, placing her hand on the young hero's cheek. Link only answers by smiling back at her.
Once Midna breaks the barrier surrounding Hyrule Castle, she wakes up to find herself in Link's arms, who is smiling down at her.
Shortly after the Light Spirits bring back Midna, she reappears in Hyrule Field, not far from where Link is. When Link notices her, he quickly rushes to her, leaving Zelda behind. When Midna turns around and reveals her true form to Link, he gasps and stares in awe. Midna then jokingly says to Link, "What? Say something! Am I so beautiful that you have no words left?", to which the young hero only answers by smiling back at her.
At the end of the game, just as Midna is about to depart back to the Twilight Realm, she turns to Link and a tear begins to float towards the Mirror of Twilight. Midna then addresses Link, beginning with the word "I..." but never finishes her sentence, and instead just says "See you later" before taking the portal to the Twilight Realm.
Link and Peatrice
During the events of Skyward Sword, Link can gain the attention of the Item Check girl, Peatrice. If he speaks to her enough, she will eventually start asking questions about how he feels about her. If Link answers positively, she will continue getting friendlier with him until asking if he can meet at her house at night. If Link speaks to her father Peater during this time, he'll voice his concern that his daughter's admirer may be unwanted. In exchange for running off the "unrequited" suitor, he will ironically enough offer Link the chance to date her.
Once they meet at Peatrice's house, she will once and for all ask Link if he is in love with her. Saying yes will cause her to say she understands Link isn't ready to be in a relationship with her due to his mission. Doing so will cause her to produce 5 Gratitude Crystals, and continue acting affectionate when visiting her stand. Fi's analysis of Peatrice after this will mention that Link shouldn't mention their relationship to Zelda.
However, Link can also say that he thinks she's special because she "checks items," or say he's lying after saying he likes her. This will cause her to become despondent, but after a few moments say she understands and that she will get over Link soon. She will continue to be somewhat friendly at the Item Check, but tease him about her ever-growing beauty. After this, speaking to Peater at Bamboo Island reveals he's upset his daughter is sad, but glad she isn't being followed by any boys. This will also produce 5 Gratitude Crystals.
It should be noted that while some of the conversation could be innocent misunderstanding, some of Peatrice's questions are overtly romantic. In particular, when she asks Link is he wants her to "take care of [him] forever." This is shortly after Link confirms that she is in fact in love with him. This could still be a misunderstanding, but would require Link to be particularly oblivious to her being in love with him.
- The Romance Thread III: Love Makes the World Go Round, Zelda Universe Forums.
- The Romance Thread IV: The Debate Continues, Zelda Universe Forums.
- The Romance Thread V: Lovers of Link, Zelda Universe Forums.
- "YOU SAVED HYRULE AND YOU ARE A REAL HERO!" — Princess Zelda (The Adventure of Link)
- "You are already leaving this land of Hyrule, aren't you? Even though it was only a short time, I feel like I've known you forever. I'll never forget the days we spent together in Hyrule... And I believe in my heart that a day will come when I shall meet you again... Until that day comes, please... Take this..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- "This reminds me of us..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- "I have taken your precious Zelda." — Ganondorf (The Wind Waker)
- "Raising your head without permission? You ill-mannered urchin!" — Chancellor Cole (Spirit Tracks)
- "Yes, we are humans. We have neither the power of spirits nor demons. But when we combine our strength... No one can defeat us! Right, Link?" — Princess Zelda (Spirit Tracks)
- "You've been friends since you were kids? Big deal. It doesn't change the fact that you float through life with your head in the clouds." — Groose (Skyward Sword)
- "Between the harp and this outfit, I'm going to make a great goddess today! I got you up early this morning because I wanted you to be the first to see me like this, Link!" — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "This contest is nothing to laugh at, Father! This ceremony is part of the final test for those training to become knights of Skyloft!" — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "Father, I don't know if he can do it! Recently Link hasn't been practicing much at all for the ceremony! And even when he's out riding his Loftwing, he's just lazily gliding around. Probably daydreaming! I don't know what he's thinking. He's going to have to be in perfect control of his bird to win today." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "If Link doesn't fly fast enough during the race... What if Link messes up his big chance... What if he's not allowed to become a knight?" — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "Listen, Link, you'd better fly your heart out today. At the very least, you need to squeeze in a little practice time before the race!" — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "You know, we're all getting tired of how you never let anyone forget you and Zelda go way back. You've been friends since you were kids? Big deal. It doesn't change the fact that you float through life with your head in the clouds." — Groose (Skyward Sword)
- "Don't even try it, Groose! You're picking on Link again, aren't you? He's a student at the academy, like all of us. Why do you insist on bullying him around so much?" — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "Link! Don't worry--I'm fine! Great flying, Link! Congratulations! Now we'd better get on with the ceremony!" — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "You got the Sailcloth! Now you can jump from any height without fear of a painful landing! ...It smells nice too." — Description (Skyward Sword)
- "Thanks for making it up here to do this with me today like you promised, Link. Now we really should finish up this ritual..." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "You...do know what happens at the end, right?" — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "You know, Link, seeing as how you won today... And with the weather being so nice... You think maybe you'd like to, you know, go fly around the clouds together?" — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "...Link? Hey, Link! Today was amazing. Watching you win the race and performing the ritual together... I'll always remember this. It really was wonderful." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "You know... Link... There's something I've been meaning to talk to you about..." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "I knew that if it meant saving Zelda, you would throw yourself headfirst into any danger, without even a moment's doubt... I... I used you." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "Before all this, I was happy just spending my days hanging around with you in Skyloft. I wanted that feeling to last forever." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "While it's true that I am Hylia reborn, I'm still my father's daughter and your friend... I'm still your Zelda." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- Romance Trailer on YouTube.com
- The Z-Files, part IV, IGN64, published December 3, 1997
- Eiji Aonuma Interview, GameCube Advanced, published July 22, 2004
- Nintendo Power 2008 Interview with Aonuma, Nintendo Power, published October 2008
- 2002, The History of Zelda Documentary
- "Ta da! Saved ya again. Kiss me." — Link (The Legend of Zelda, Episode 5 )
- "I'm glad too. And thanks for rescuing me. You still want a kiss?" — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda, Episode 4 )
- "Mmm...shut up and kiss me!" — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda, Episode 6 )
- "We did it! Kiss me!" — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda, Episode 9 )
- "Zelda could only see Link if...if she was in love with him! Zelda in love with Link? Augh! How disgusting!" — Ganon (The Legend of Zelda, Episode 12 )
- "No! I mean...maybe just a little." — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda, Episode 12 )
- "Don't get a swelled head. I just like you a little, that's all." — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda, Episode 12 )
- "Love you? Hah! It's just that without your body you're even MORE useless than usual." — Princess Zelda (The Legend of Zelda, Episode 12 )
- "Link! Only a single night remains! Agahnim will cast his incantation on me under a full moon! Link! You must hurry! If he succeeds, the seal of the wise men will be broken! The entrance to the Dark World will be thrown open and evil will overwhelm us! Do not forget the sacrifice your uncle made trying to foil Agahnim's plot! And your parents... Do you think it was an accident that they fell into the Dark World?! Please, you must destroy Agahnim before his evil magic leads to Hyrule's destruction!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 4)
- "We are in our dream... If two people dream the same thing, they will meet..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 8)
- "Zelda: You must be very tired... You have give us so much hope... You can't give up now... [...] Please rest...don't worry..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 9)
- "My arm...it hurts..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 9)
- "That was a strange dream! But my arm! Who did this?! [...] The Tower of Hera!" (Nintendo Power (A Link to the Past), pg. 10)
- "Zelda: Link!
Link: Zelda?! Is that you?!
Zelda:I...am...nearby... Hurry!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 9)
- "Can't you hear her? Zelda is calling from beyond the wasteland!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 9)
- "Now you're hearing things! Anyway, the wasteland is way tooharsh! Once you get in there, you can't escape!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 9)
- "I think we should try to find the map first!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 10)
- "If this wasteland is as dangerous as you say it is, I've got to get Zelda out of there right away!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 10)
- "I've had it!! All you ever talk about isZelda this and Zelda that! You never worry about me! From now on, you're on your own!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 10)
- "It's ironic, isn't it... The psychic link between us was so strong when I was in Ganon's clutches... But now that we are both free, and at peace...you seem so distant, guarding the Triforce... I am alone." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 14)
- "As long as I live, I shall never forget the time when we weretogether in our dreams..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 14)
- "You believe my tale. Even my father didn't believe me. That's why...I believe in you. -Princess Zelda" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 1 (vizkids), pg. 64)
- "Be careful, okay? -Princess Zelda" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 1 (vizkids), pg. 64)
- "How come you don't call her "princess"? Just how close are you two? You don't have to answer, I can see it in your eyes..." (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 2 (vizkids), pg. 19)
- "I missed you. -Link" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 2 (vizkids), pg. 63)
- "You got Marin! Is this your big chance?" — N/A (Link's Awakening)
- "This cliff will be our secret place." — Marin (Link's Awakening)
- "I want to know everything about you...Err...Uhh, Ha ha ha ha!" — Marin (Link's Awakening)
- "... ... Say... Link... Uhh... I don't know how to say this... but..." — Marin (Link's Awakening)
- "I knew... that you would leave the forest... someday, Link... Because you are different from me and my friends.... But that's OK, because we'll be friends forever... won't we? I want you to have this Ocarina... Please take good care of it. When you play my Ocarina, I hope you will think of me and come back to the forest to visit." — Saria (Ocarina of Time)
- "I made a promise to Saria... If Link came back, I would be sure to tell him that Saria had been waiting for him... Because Saria...really... liked..." — Mido (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh, Link! Even without a fairy you're my very best friend! Okay?" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 1 (vizkids), pg. 14)
- "That creep! He's flirting with Saria again! ~Mido" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 1 (vizkids), pg. 14)
- "I won't let you have her! ~Mido" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 1 (vizkids), pg. 27)
- "Hey, you! You've got the talent to be one of the world's best cowboys! How'd you like to marry Malon? Huh? Haw haw! I was just kidding! Just kidding! I think you're a little young for that, aren't you? Haw haw haw!" — Talon (Ocarina of Time)
- "They say that Malon of Lon Lon Ranch hopes a knight in shining armor will come and sweep her off her feet someday." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- "Here, drink some of this. -Malon" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 1 (vizkids), pg. 83)
- "Link, are you going already? [...] You better! You better come back! ~Malon" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 1 (vizkids), pg. 85)
- "I appreciate the thought, but I'm waiting to be saved by a prince, not a fairy child. ~Malon" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 2 (vizkids), pg. 14)
- "Wow! ♥ The fairy child's grown up! ~Malon" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 2 (vizkids), pg. 15)
- "Could he be...my prince? [...] Maybe he is! ~Malon" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 2 (vizkids), pg. 14)
- "You! You looked cool...cooler than I thought you would, anyway... Just a little! Well, anyway, you saved me, so I guess I'll reward you. What do you wish? Just tell me... [...] You mean the Spiritual Stone of Water, Zora's Sapphire, don't you? My mother gave it to me and said I should give it only to the man who will be my husband. You might call it the Zora's Engagement Ring! All right! I'll give you my most precious possession: Zora's Sapphire!" — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "They say that Ruto, the Zora Princess who is known for her selfish nature, likes a certain boy..." — Gossip Stone (Ocarina of Time)
- "Oh...you... If I'm right... Link?! You're Link, aren't you? It's me, your fiancée, Ruto! Princess of the Zoras! I never forgot the vows we made to each other seven years ago! You're a terrible man to have kept me waiting for these seven long years... But now is not the time to talk about love..." — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "As a reward... I grant my eternal love to you. Well, that's what I want to say, but I don't think I can offer that now." — Princess Ruto (Ocarina of Time)
- "Okay... But first I want to give you something special. Zora. This is the Spiritual Stone of Water-the Zora's Sapphire. It's a stone I'm supposed to give to my fiancée...sort of like an engagement ring. But I think I'll give it to you instead! ~Ruto" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 1 (vizkids), pg. 95)
- "How worthy you are of being my fiancée. The happiest, grandest wedding ever...except it cannot be. I still must remain the Sage of Water. - Princess Ruto" (The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time manga Part 2 (vizkids), pg. 14)
- "If you can successfully get the Silver Gauntlets...I'll do something great for you!" — Nabooru (Ocarina of Time)
- "If only I knew you would become such a handsome man...I should have kept the promise I made back then..." — Nabooru (Ocarina of Time)
- "You did it! You helped Cremia! You feel all warm and fuzzy! inside! Sigh... You could get used to this!" — In-game text (Majora's Mask)
- Cremia hugging Link
- "Ah... Din always looks so lovely! But she seems smitten with you. I'm jealous." — Male Troupe (Oracle of Seasons)
- "When Link awoke, he found himself in a forest he had never seen. Confused, he looked around blankly at the unfamiliar surroundings. He heard pleasant music and laughing voices echoing from deep within the woods. Link followed the inviting voices until he came upon a traveling troupe of actors. He was immediately struck by the beauty of a young woman who was dancing about in circles. When the girl noticed Link, she smiled brightly and called to him." — Oracle of Seasons Prologue, Zelda Universe.
- "That was fun! You're a good dancer! It's been some time since I had such fun! Hey! Your left hand! it has a [Triangle] on it. That is a sacred mark in Hyrule. If it's the true symbol, then you are a hero with a special fate, Link. A special fate! Link, I... Umm... Nothing! Let us dance!" — Din (Oracle of Seasons)
- "That was fun! You're a good dancer! It's been some time since I had such fun! Hey! Your left hand! it has a [Triangle] on it. That is a sacred mark in Hyrule. If it's the true symbol, then you are a hero with a special fate, Link. Like Nayru, I am also a target, but I refuse to fall, no matter what the enemy! And my heart lifts when Link is beside me! Let us Dance!" — Din (Oracle of Seasons)
- "Can you at least promise me this? No matter what happens on your journey, don't try to do anything... out of your league. Please. Just come home safely." — Ilia (Twilight Princess)
- "You smell the girl don't you? I can tell by the look on your face." — Midna (Twilight Princess)
- "Master, your interest in this young woman is clear. I can see your aura shining brightly with joy in her presence. ...I strongly recommend that you do not mention this when you next encounter Zelda." — Fi (Skyward Sword)