From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
(Redirected from Snapdragon
The Snap Dragon is a short yet fearsome plant-like creature in A Link to the Past that hops around at great speeds to attack Link with it's giant snapping jaws. It is said they were created by a mad alchemist's plant experiments (although it should be noted that this is an embellishment added by the English localized manual; the original Japanese booklet simply states that they evolved from plants). These monsters roam various locations in the Overworld of the Dark World.
A Link to the Past Manual Comment
Very little strategy is needed to kill a Snap Dragon as they are vulnerable to most weapons, but they do move in a diagonal matter which makes them unusual among many enemies Link faces, and often appear in pairs or even groups of three. They can also cause up to three hearts of damage with a single attack, a large amount of damage for Link when he first enters the Dark World, second only in strength to the mighty Hinox.
- Due to their hopping motion, they can sometimes be unaffected by Quake.
- The official art for these creatures depicts them with green leaves, while the enemies in the final game are given blue leaves to match the bushes of the Dark World. It is possible that this enemy was once intended to appear in the Light World.
- Their English name likely comes from the flower of the same name, as it is a plant based enemy, but is intentionally spaced to highlight the play on words with the mythical dragon.
- The Japanese name for this monster, "Gapura" is a play on "gapu", which is onomatopoeia for a big bite or chomping sound, and possibly "bura" meaning strolling aimlessly.
- The Snap Dragon is included on the Zelda Barcode Battler II card set, listed as "Guplla".
A Snap Dragon as it appears in the game
- ↑ "Snap Dragon
This strange creature was created as a result of a mad alchemist's plant experiments. He uses his tooth-filled maw to snap at anything that gets in his way as he hops about." (A Link to the Past manual, pg. 45)
- ↑ "ガプラ
植物から進化したこの敵は大きな口を開け、鋭い牙でかみついてきます。ヒノックス同様、闇の世界の地上に存在します。" (A Link to the Past manual, pg. 51)
| Names in Other Regions
|| ガプラ (Gapura)