Song of Time
|Song of Time|
Princess Zelda teaches Link the Song of Time in Majora's Mask
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
|Instrument(s)||Ocarina of Time|
|Power(s)|| Ocarina of Time:|
Opens the Door of Time
Removes and brings back blocks that have the Symbol of Time design
Takes Link back to the dawn of the First Day
|Learned in|| Ocarina of Time:|
Atop the Clock Tower
The "Song of Time" is a recurring song in The Legend of Zelda series. This song possesses many mysterious powers that yield different results depending how and where it's used. The "Song of Time" only appears as a playable song in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, where only a portion of the melody's abilities are fully explored. It is implied that this sacred melody is only known by members of the Royal Family of Hyrule and is taught to a selected few.
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the "Song of Time" is one of the requirements (the Spiritual Stones and Ocarina of Time being the others) necessary to open the Door of Time, and so access the Sacred Realm from the land of Hyrule. Once the other keys are gathered, the "Song of Time" must be played in the altar of the Temple of Time, thus opening the Door of Time and allowing access to the resting place of the Master Sword. Link learns this mysterious song after he retrieves the Ocarina, which Princess Zelda throws into the moat as she escapes Hyrule Castle. Upon getting the Ocarina, Link has a vision of the princess explaining her reasons for leaving and teaches him the "Song of Time" through this telepathic message. With the Ocarina of Time and the three Spiritual Stones in hand, Link plays the mysterious melody to open the Door of Time, withdrawing the Master Sword to become the legendary Hero of Time.
Prior to the events of Majora's Mask, Princess Zelda hands over the Ocarina of Time to Link as a memento of the times that she and Link spent together in the land of Hyrule. According to Zelda, the Song of Time holds a special meaning to her, and as such, she teaches it to the young hero before handing over the Ocarina of Time. Princess Zelda reminds Link to play the sacred song if anything happens to him, mentioning that the Goddess of Time will come to his aid.
The Song of Time is crucial in order to complete the game. By playing the Song of Time, Link can Warp back to the dawn of the First Day at any given time or place. Any items or unused Rupees that are in possession when playing the song will be lost. However, masks, weapons (except the Razor Sword), songs learned, and other non-event items are kept. This melody must be played numerous times to free the Four Giants and save Termina from its impending doom.
Variations of the Song of Time
In Majora's Mask, variations of the Song of Time can alter the regular flow of time. Scarecrows will hint at these variations if Link chooses to speak with them. While these songs make progressing through the game easier, they are not necessary to complete it.
Song of Double Time
Inverted Song of Time
When Link plays the "Song of Time" backwards, all events directly related to the flow of time will move at 30% of the normal speed. This affects the flow of time and scripted movements such as Anju's movements, but events that aren't directly involved with the flow of time, such as an enemy's attack pattern or the rate at which Link can move, are not affected. File:Ocarina - Inverted Song of Time.ogg
Super Smash Bros. Series
- "Ye who owns 3 Spiritual Stones / Stand with the Ocarina of Time / And play the Song of Time" — Inscription in the Temple of Time (Ocarina of Time)
- "You found the Ocarina of Time! This is the Royal Family's hidden treasure which Zelda left behind. It glows with a mystical light..." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "Link...Can you hear me? It's me, Zelda... Link, when you hold this Ocarina in your hand... I won't be around anymore... I wanted to wait for you, but I couldn't delay any longer... At least I could leave you the Ocarina and this melody... This song opens the Door of Time... Now, Link. Play this melody in front of the altar in the Temple of Time. You must protect the Triforce!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "You are already leaving this land of Hyrule, aren't you? Even though it was only a short time, I feel like I've known you forever. I'll never forget the days we spent together in Hyrule... And I believe in my heart that a day will come when I shall meet you again... Until that day comes, please... Take this..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- "This reminds me of us..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- ""I am praying... I am praying that your journey be a safe one. If something should happen to you, remember this song..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- "The Goddess of Time is protecting you. If you play the Song of Time, she will aid you..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- "If you play that mysterious song backward, you can slow the flow of time. And if you play each note twice in a row, you can move a half day forward in time!" — Scarecrow (Majora's Mask)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||時の歌 (Toki no Uta)||Song of Time|
|Spanish||Canción del Tiempo|
|French||Chant du Temps||Song of Time|
|German||Hymne der Zeit||Hymn of Time|
|Italian||Canzone del tempo|