Song of Time
|Song of Time|
Link playing the "Song of Time" in
Majora's Mask 3D
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
|Other media|| Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U
|Instrument(s)||Ocarina of Time|
|Power(s)|| Ocarina of Time:|
Opens the Door of Time
Removes and brings back blocks that have the Symbol of Time design
Takes Link back to the dawn of the First Day
Save the game
|Learned in|| Hyrule Field (OoT)|
Atop the Clock Tower (MM)
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, the "Song of Time" is one of the requirements (the Spiritual Stones and the Ocarina of Time being the others) necessary to open the Door of Time so Link can access the Sacred Realm. Once the other keys are gathered, the "Song of Time" must be played in the altar of the Temple of Time, thus opening the Door of Time and allowing access to the resting place of the Master Sword. Link learns the song after he retrieves the Ocarina, which Princess Zelda throws into the moat as she escapes Hyrule Castle. Upon getting the Ocarina, Link has a vision of the princess explaining her reasons for leaving and teaches him the "Song of Time" through this telepathic message. With the Ocarina of Time and the three Spiritual Stones in hand, Link can play the melody to open the Door of Time, withdrawing the Master Sword to become the legendary Hero of Time.
Prior to the events of Majora's Mask, Princess Zelda hands over the Ocarina of Time to Link as a memento of the times that she and Link spent together in the land of Hyrule. According to Zelda, the "Song of Time" holds a special meaning to her, and as such, she teaches it to the young hero before handing over the Ocarina of Time. Princess Zelda reminds Link to play the sacred song if anything happens to him, mentioning that the Goddess of Time will come to his aid.
By playing the "Song of Time", Link can warp back to the dawn of the First Day at any given time or place. Any spendable item, such as Bombs or Rupees, will be lost when playing the song. However, masks, weapons (except the Razor Sword), songs learned, and other non-event items are kept; if Link's sword is with the smithy, he will regain his Kokiri Sword. Playing the song is the only way to permanently save the game. However, in Majora's Mask 3D, it no longer saves the game.
In Majora's Mask, variations of the "Song of Time" can alter the regular flow of time. Scarecrows will hint at these variations if Link chooses to speak with them. While these songs make progressing through the game easier, they are not necessary to complete it.
The "Song of Double Time" lets Link warp to the night of the same day he is in if played during the day, or to the dawn of the next if played at night. The song cannot be played during the night of the Final Day. In Majora's Mask 3D, playing the song lets Link jump to a specific hour of the current day. The "Song of Double Time" is composed of the first three notes of the "Song of Time" played twice each.
When Link plays the "Inverted Song of Time", all events directly related to the flow of time will move 30% slower. This affects the flow of time and scripted movements such as Anju's movements. Events that are not directly involved with the flow of time, such as an enemy's attack patterns or the rate at which Link can move, are not affected. The song is, as its name implies, the "Song of Time" played backwards.
- "Ye who owns 3 Spiritual Stones / Stand with the Ocarina of Time / And play the Song of Time" — Inscription in the Temple of Time (Ocarina of Time)
- "You found the Ocarina of Time! This is the Royal Family's hidden treasure which Zelda left behind. It glows with a mystical light..." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- "Link...Can you hear me? It's me, Zelda... Link, when you hold this Ocarina in your hand... I won't be around anymore... I wanted to wait for you, but I couldn't delay any longer... At least I could leave you the Ocarina and this melody... This song opens the Door of Time... Now, Link. Play this melody in front of the altar in the Temple of Time. You must protect the Triforce!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "You are already leaving this land of Hyrule, aren't you? Even though it was only a short time, I feel like I've known you forever. I'll never forget the days we spent together in Hyrule... And I believe in my heart that a day will come when I shall meet you again... Until that day comes, please... Take this..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- "This reminds me of us..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- ""I am praying... I am praying that your journey be a safe one. If something should happen to you, remember this song..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- "The Goddess of Time is protecting you. If you play the Song of Time, she will aid you..." — Princess Zelda (Majora's Mask)
- "If you play that mysterious song backward, you can slow the flow of time. And if you play each note twice in a row, you can move a half day forward in time!" — Scarecrow (Majora's Mask)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||時の歌 (Toki no Uta)||Song of Time|
|Spanish||Canción del Tiempo||Song of Time|
|French||Chant du Temps||Song of Time|
|German||Hymne der Zeit||Hymn of Time|
|Italian||Canzone del tempo||Song of Time|