Temple of Time
- This article is about the temple located in Hyrule. For the temple located in the Sacred Realm, see the Temple of Light.
|Temple of Time|
The Temple of Time in Ocarina of Time 3D
|Game(s)|| Ocarina of Time|
Link's Crossbow Training
|Item(s)|| Light Arrow|
|Related place(s)||Temple of Light|
The Temple of Time is the name shared by two temples, the original appearing in Skyward Sword and its successor in Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. It is revealed in Twilight Princess that there is an entire dungeon section to the temple, accessible from a portal hidden behind a window in the back room.
Door of Time
The Door of Time, located within the Temple of Time, is the powerful barrier that blocks access to the Pedestal of Time. The Master Sword, which is the key to entering the Sacred Realm, rests in this pedestal.
The door can only be opened by bringing together three Spiritual Stones: the Kokiri's Emerald, the Goron's Ruby, and the Zora's Sapphire. When these three stones are brought together and the Song of Time is played with the Ocarina of Time at the altar, the door slides open and the path to the legendary blade is revealed.
According to Princess Zelda, the Door of Time is, effectively, an obstacle to the Sacred Realm put in place when the Triforce was sealed away in the Temple of Light. At the end of Ocarina of Time, after Link and Princess Zelda seal away Ganondorf in the void of the Evil Realm, Princess Zelda asks that Link return the Master Sword to its pedestal and close the Door of Time, at which point the "road between times will be closed."
The Door of Time possibly made another appearance in Twilight Princess. At the entrance to the ruined temple, there is a single set of stone doors. When translated from ancient Hylian, the inscription upon them reads "Time Door." The mystical portal contained within these doors became the means through which the Link of Twilight Princess was able to travel back in time to visit the Temple of Time fully intact, as it stood in the days of his forbearer.
The original, ancient Temple of Time that existed during the Era of the Goddess Hylia and the Era of the Sky appears in the northwestern section of the Lanayru Desert in the Lanayru Province. It is accessible after completing the Lanayru Mining Facility dungeon. When Link first arrives at this temple, he finds Zelda and Impa at the Gate of Time. Ghirahim then bursts in on the brief reunion, but is held at bay by Impa while Zelda throws the Goddess's Harp to Link and tells him that he will need it. Zelda and Impa escape through the gate and Impa uses a magical explosive to permanently destroy it, preventing Ghirahim from pursuing them.
This temple differs from its successor because it is an open air courtyard and is located in the desert. At the western edge of this temple is a monumental stone of the Hylian Crest and a Gate of Time.
The Era of Chaos and the Era of Prosperity
Many years after the events of Skyward Sword, there was an era of chaos with wars and fighting over the Triforce that was located in the Sacred Realm. To put an end to these wars, an ancient sage, Rauru, built over the remains of the Sealed Temple a new Temple of Time, which contained the only entrance to the Sacred Realm. Using the Master Sword and the three Spiritual Stones as keys to the Sacred Realm, this new temple was the sanctified gateway between Hyrule and the Sacred Realm, and its purpose was to protect that gateway, and thus the Triforce, from evildoers who would seek to misuse it. Inside the Temple of Time is a chamber that is home to the Master Sword and the Pedestal of Time; however, the entrance to this chamber is sealed by the Door of Time. When the Master Sword was infused into the Pedestal of Time, it sealed that gateway in the hopes of preventing all but the most worthy to reach the Sacred Realm, where the sacred Triforce lies within the Temple of Light.
Within the temple stands a sacred altar which bears inscribed instructions to opening the Door of Time, which leads to the chamber of the Master Sword. The inscription reads that the person needs to have possession of all three Spiritual Stones, stand with the Ocarina of Time, and play the Song of Time. It is said that only the Hero of Time may enter the secret chambers of the temple and draw the Master Sword. If the Hero of Time withdraws the Master Sword from its pedestal, it will once again open the portal to the Sacred Realm, granting access to the Temple of Light.
Ocarina of Time
During the Era of the Hero of Time, a few years after the Hyrulean Civil War that left him an orphan in Kokiri Forest, a young Link begins collecting the three Spiritual Stones from the Kokiri, Goron and Zora races to let him gain entry to the chamber in which the Master Sword resides. After collecting the three stones and getting the Ocarina of Time from a young Princess Zelda, who was fleeing Hyrule Castle with her nurse maid Impa, Link travels to the Temple of Time to acquire the Master Sword and enter the Sacred Realm in order to obtain the Triforce before Ganondorf does. However, his spirit is unexpectedly sealed away for seven years by the Master Sword, for Link was not yet old enough to become the Hero of Time. When Link finally awakens seven years later within the heart of the Sacred Realm, the Temple of Light, the ancient sage known as Rauru explains the kingdom of Hyrule's dire situation to him, gives him the Light Medallion, and charges him with the task of awakening six new sages so that all seven of them will have enough power to seal Ganondorf within the Sacred Realm and save the kingdom.
In order to awaken all of the Sages, Link must keep returning to the Temple of Time to use the Pedestal of Time to travel in time back and forth seven years. To help him with this, Princess Zelda, disguised as Sheik, teaches the young hero the Prelude of Light, a melody that he can play on his ocarina to quickly return to the Temple of Time any time he wishes.
When Link has successfully awakened his childhood friend, the leader of the Gorons, the Zora princess, Princess Zelda's nanny and the female leader of the Gerudo theives as the new Sages, only one remains. Rauru advises him to go to the Temple of Time and meet with someone who is waiting for him there. Here, Link meets Sheik, who reveals himself to be Princess Zelda as well as the seventh Sage. After explaining the reason behind her hiding and her motives, the princess asks for Link's help one last time to defeat Ganondorf and grants him the Light Arrows, the only weapon that can penetrate the evil king's defenses.
Upon defeating Ganondorf and being sent back in time seven years by a guilt-stricken Princess Zelda to relive the years of his childhood that he missed, Link leaves the Master Sword behind in its pedestal in the temple and steps out into what will be a new history caused by his foreknowledge of the future.
- Main article: Temple of Time (Dungeon)
In the Era of Twilight, the Temple of Time has fallen deep into decay, becoming a complex of unidentifiable ruins still located deep in the Faron Woods, in an area deep within the Sacred Grove. Its existence is now known to few simply as a legend of an ancient temple deep within the woods, tied to the early history of Hyrule. The only thing that remains in place is the Pedestal of Time, where the Master Sword rests.
When Link briefly thrusts the Master Sword into the Pedestal of Time in the Sacred Grove, a statue that was blocking a nearby door is immediately removed. Entering through this door takes the hero an undisclosed amount of time into the past and allows him to explore the temple before it fell into deep ruin.
In the past, the Temple of Time is virtually identical to how it appears during the events of Ocarina of Time, with the exception of the missing Spiritual Stones altar. When the Master Sword is thrust into its pedestal, a blue staircase appears that can be used to reach the back window of the room, which grants access a previously hidden part of the temple that appears to be entirely separate from the kingdom of Hyrule itself. This new section of the temple acts as a dungeon from where Link can find the Dominion Rod and a missing piece of the fractured Mirror of Twilight. By stepping back through the temple's main entrance, Link is taken back to the present.
Link's Crossbow Training
|Ambiguously Canon Content||hide|
- The Tower of the Gods from The Wind Waker has many similarities to the Temple of Time's dungeon section in Twilight Princess, such as both being towers, similar music, statues which can be controlled, numerous Beamos and Armos, a Darknut mini-boss and a room in each temple with a balance scale that requires the weight of statues to manipulate.
- The background music of the Temple of Time is the Song of Time.
- In Japanese both the Door of Time and the Gate of Time share the same name, 時の扉 (Gate of Time).
- "Temple of Time: The only entrance to the Sacred Realm's Temple of Light, the Temple of Time shares the same name as the temple in the Lanayru Desert of the Era of the Goddess Hylia. It is thought that Rauru built the Temple of Time directly over the ruins of the Sealed Temple." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 77)
- "Traces of the Era of the Hero of Time: [...] The Temple of Time, home to the Master Sword's pedestal, has rotted away and lies in ruins within the forest." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 117)
- "But the entrance is sealed with a stone wall called the Door of Time. And, in order to open the door, it is said that you need to collect three Spiritual Stones." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "Ye who owns 3 Spiritual Stone / Stand with the Ocarina of Time / And play the Song of Time" — Inscription (Ocarina of Time)
- "You must lay the Master Sword to rest and close the Door of Time... However, by doing this, the road between times will be closed..." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "Your Grace! Quickly, to the gate!" — Impa (Skyward Sword)
- "[Link], here! You'll need this where you're going." — Zelda (Skyward Sword)
- "Rauru, the Sage of Light, constructed the Temple of Time, which contained the only existing entrance to the Sacred Realm, where the Triforce was located." (Hyrule Historia (Dark Horse Books), pg. 77)
- "The Temple of Time is the entrance through which you can enter the Sacred Realm from our world." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "Ages ago, we ancient Sages built the Temple of Time to protect the entrance to the Sacred Realm..." — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "So, the ancient Sages built the Temple of Time to protect the Triforce from evil ones." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "The Master Sword is a sacred blade which evil ones may never touch.... Only one worthy of the title of "Hero of Time" can pull it from the Pedestal of Time...." — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "The Temple of Light, situated in the very center of the Sacred Realm, is the last stronghold against Ganondorf's evil forces. The Master Sword--the evil-destroying sword that you pulled out of the Pedestal of Time--was the final key to the Sacred Realm." — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "We must not let Ganondorf get the Triforce! I will protect the Ocarina of Time with all my power! He shall not have it! You go find the other two Spiritual Stones! Let's get the Triforce before Ganondorf does, and then defeat him!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "The Master Sword is a sacred blade which evil ones may never touch... Only one worthy of the title of "Hero of Time" can pull it from the Pedestal of Time.... However, you were too young to be the Hero of Time... Therefore, your spirit was sealed here for seven years. And now that you are old enough, the time has come for you to awaken as the Hero of Time!" — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "I, Rauru, am one of the Sages... And... Your power to fight together with the Sages makes you the Hero of Time! The Hero of Time, chosen by the Master Sword! Keep my spirit with you... And, find the power of the other Sages and add their might to your own!" — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "In order to awaken all the other Sages, you must become even more powerful. You must travel over mountains...under water...and even through time... If you want to return to your original time, return the Master Sword to the Pedestal of Time. By doing this, you will travel back in time seven years..." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "The time will come when you will have to return here quickly... I will teach this to you for when that time comes... The song to return you to the Temple of Time... The Prelude of Light..." — Sheik (Ocarina of Time)
- "Link, the hero! Finally, all of us, the six Sages, have been awakened! The time for the final showdown with the King of Evil has come! Before that, though, you should meet the one who is waiting for you... The one who is waiting for you at the Temple of Time..." — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
- "And the other, who holds the Triforce of Wisdom...is the seventh Sage, who is destined to be the leader of them all...It is I, the Princess of Hyrule, Zelda." — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "Link... In order to do this, I need your courage again. Please protect me while I do my part. And here is a weapon that can penetrate the Evil King's defenses... The power given to the chosen ones... The sacred Arrow of Light!!!" — Princess Zelda (Ocarina of Time)
- "Do you know about the far side of this deep gorge? Some say there is an ancient temple deep in the woodsthat guards a sacred power." — Rusl (Twilight Princess)
- "The ancestors of the Hylians created the temple... Signs of their civilization--ancient, but very sophisticated--are everywhere." — Rusl (Twilight Princess)
- "This is the Chamber of Sages, inside the Temple of Light..." — Rauru (Ocarina of Time)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||時の神殿 (Toki no Shinden)|
|Spanish||Templo del Tiempo|
|French||Temple du Temps|
|German||Zitadelle der Zeit|
|Italian||Santuario del Tempo|
|Hyrule in Skyward Sword|
|Click on a location|