Termina map from Majora's Mask 3D
|Related place(s)|| Clock Town|
Termina (pronounced /ˈtɜːɹ.mɨn.ə/ TUR-min-ə) is the name of a parallel world to Hyrule and the setting of Majora's Mask. The land is filled with many characters similar in appearance to those introduced in Ocarina of Time. It is depicted with several diverse regions, each located in the four cardinal directions; including snowy mountain peaks to the north, haunted canyons in the east, forests and swamps in the south, ocean bays in the west, and the village Clock Town in the center. Termina is more technologically advanced than contemporary Hyrule, possessing modern hallmarks such as rock bands, motorboats, clocks, tourist shops, lotteries, pictography, and even plans for space travel.
After Link had journeyed through time to fulfill his destiny and take place among legends as the Hero of Time, he sets out to find a lost friend, his Fairy partner Navi. This leads him to meet the Skull Kid, who, possessed by Majora's Mask, steals Link's mount, Epona, and transforms him into a Deku Scrub. Chasing after him, he finds his way into the land of Termina. Termina is in great danger, as its Moon is about to crash into the central settlement of Clock Town. This was indeed the work of the evil mask that had possessed Skull Kid, and Link is to set out to awaken the Four Giants in order to stop the Moon from destroying Termina.
History and Mythology
The mythology and religion of Termina revolves around the Four Giants.
The Four Giants
Although Termina does not have a known creation story, the legends of its ancient protectors provide most of its primordial history. Long ago, the people of Termina had not yet migrated to the four cardinal directions, and were watched over by the Giants who had created the world. One day, the Giants announced to the people that they would go to the north, south, east, and west and guard the people as they slept. If the people were in dire need, the Giants would awaken and answer their cries for help. However, the Skull Kid, a little imp who was a friend of the Giants, was saddened by this news, and caused mischief in his anger. The Giants rebuked the Skull Kid and he left the world of Termina for the heavens.
The Ancient Tribe
An ancient tribe was known to use Majora's Mask in its hexing rituals, but they sealed away the evil inside of the mask to prevent its misuse. It was this mask that the Skull Kid later found as he waylaid the Happy Mask Salesman in the woods. When Majora possessed the Skull Kid, it brought down the Moon from the sky and threatened to destroy Termina. He trapped the Giants in the temples in the north, south, east, and west of Termina. It took the intervention of Link to free the Giants once more and prevent the Moon from crashing.
The ruined kingdom of Ikana, located in the eastern canyons of Termina, was noted to have a particularly bloodstained and violent history. The Ikana Canyon is haunted by spirits of soldiers who died in its many wars, such as the Garo, who once spied on the Ikana kingdom, and Captain Keeta, who was once the commander of the armies of Ikana. The last king, Igos du Ikana, explained to Link that his people had forgotten the value of friendship and forgiveness after someone entered the Stone Tower, and this was the cause of the kingdom's demise.
The Carnival of Time
- Main article: Carnival of Time
Each year, the citizens of Termina hold a festival in Clock Town in order to celebrate the Giants, and it is that time of the year when Link comes to Termina. The festival is called the Carnival of Time. The carnival celebrates the alignment of the sun and moon and the progress of time. During the carnival, it is customary to wear masks made in the image of the Four Giants. If a wedding happens on the night of the carnival, it is also considered a sign of extraordinary luck.
Termina is a politically heterogeneous land, where each region (with the exception of Great Bay, whose division is never shown or mentioned) has a different local means of government. The center of Termina, Clock Town, is a democracy led by a mayor, responsible for taking the most important decisions. The Southern Swamp houses a monarchy led by a Deku King, a Deku Princess, and their servants. Snowhead is led by a patriarch, the Goron Elder, whose position can be transferred to another Goron who is proven worthy. Ikana Canyon used to be ruled by a king and his servants. Given the current conditions of the last king, Igos du Ikana, as an undead being, it is unknown whether or not he still holds actual power over the region.
- Main article: Rupee
As with most of the other lands in the The Legend of Zelda series, Termina uses the Rupee as its main currency, and is circulated across the different regions. Clock Town in particular shows a dense economic activity in matter of public attractions, not only in regards of the availability of minigames, but also because of the performance of concerts and the Carnival of Time. The town also houses a bank for people to make deposits.
The inhabitants of Termina seem to be more knowledgeable when it comes to technology of different types than their Hyrulean counterparts. An example of this is the Clock Tower in the center of Clock Town. They also have a bank, something which might indicate that the people of Termina are more sophisticated than the inhabitants of Hyrule when it comes to money. The telescope is another example, as well as the fact that nearly every house in Termina has a functioning clock. The Bomb Shop even has a drawing on the wall of a rocket.
Apart from the Terminans, the Zoras are involved in several examples of higher technology. These range from their temple, which behaves similarly to a hydroelectric power plant, to The Indigo-Go's, a jazz/rock band. Also, boats in the Great Bay are motorized as opposed to being manually propelled.
The music in Majora's Mask follows the theme of advanced technology, containing one of the few electric guitar pieces of music in the Zelda franchise, as well as having electronic theme music for the Ghosts, a modern bossa nova for one of the songs Link can play, and a combination of futuristic and traditional instruments in several locations, such as the inverted Stone Tower.
The geographic center of Termina is Clock Town, with four regions with a different climate and inhabitants in each cardinal direction.
- Main article: Clock Town
Clock Town is the most populated area in Termina, and is subdivided into four districts. It is the location of the Clock Tower and the Carnival of Time, and is inhabited mostly by Hylians. The leader of the city is Mayor Dotour, who is attempting to mediate a dispute between the carpenters and soldiers over whether or not to evacuate the city. The Bombers Secret Society of Justice are a group of young boys who try to help people in Clock Town.
- Main article: Southern Swamp
The Southern Swamp is the southern region of Termina and the home of the Deku tribe. When Link arrives, the swamp is poisoned, hampering the swamp's tourism industry. The Deku people live in the Deku Palace, where outsiders are not allowed to enter. The Twinrova twin witches, Koume and Kotake, run the Magic Hags' Potion Shop and the the Swamp Tour, while Tingle's father runs a pictograph contest. The swamp is also the location of Woodfall Temple and the Swamp Spider House.
- Main article: Snowhead
Snowhead is the snowbound northern region of Termina and home to the Goron tribe. Most of the Gorons live in Goron Village and stay inside the Goron Shrine to keep warm during the harsh winter. The hero of the Gorons, Darmani, died shortly before Link arrives to Termina. After Link lays his soul to rest, Link is able to use the Goron Mask to impersonate Darmani and participate in many activities and traditions of the Goron people, such as the Goron Race and the use of Powder Kegs. Snowhead is also the location of the Mountain Smithy, where Link can upgrade his Sword, and the Snowhead Temple.
- Main article: Great Bay
Great Bay is the western region of Termina, bordering the ocean. The Zora tribe lives just off the coast in the Zora Hall. The Gerudo Pirates control the northern portion of the coast inside the Pirates' Fortress, also dubbed the "Pirates' Cove", Far off the coast is Pinnacle Rock, where the water is murky and dangerous. The Oceanside Spider House is on the beach, and was used by a man as an underground shelter to escape the imminent crash of the Moon. Next to the spider house, the Fisherman's house can also be found. The Great Bay is also the location of the Marine Research Laboratory, the Great Bay Temple, and the Waterfall Rapids.
- Main article: Ikana Canyon
Ikana Canyon is located far to the east of Clock Town, amid the ruins of the ancient Ikana Kingdom. The land is haunted by the spirits of those who died in its bloodstained past. It is the location of the Ancient Castle of Ikana and the Stone Tower, as well as Sakon's Hideout and the Ikana Graveyard. Pamela and her father live in the Music Box House where they study the strange inhabitants of the cursed valley.
- Main article: Romani Ranch
Romani Ranch is a prosperous farm just southwest of Clock Town and the source of the Milk served at the Milk Bar. Its most popular product is Chateau Romani, a special vintage Milk. The ranch is run by Cremia and Romani, the two sisters who found Epona after Link lost her. The ranch suffers invasions by ghost-like aliens every year as the Carnival of Time approaches. With Link's intervention, the raids on the farm stop and the shipments of Milk resume. The ranch has a rivalry with the nearby Gorman Track, whose proprietors will try to sabotage the Milk shipments for Clock Town.
- Main article: Termina Field
Termina Field is the area surrounding Clock Town, and the Terminan counterpart of Hyrule Field. Termina Field provides access to each area in the game. The Astral Observatory is located here, as is the entrance to Milk Road and Romani Ranch. The theme music for this area is a remix of the overworld theme from The Legend of Zelda, after its absence in Ocarina of Time.
The people in Termina are almost exact duplicates of the citizens of Hyrule, as Nintendo re-used a vast amount of character models from Ocarina of Time to be used in Majora's Mask.
|Ocarina of Time||Majora's Mask|
|Bombchu Shop Proprietor||Bomb Shop Owner|
|Carpenters||Clock Town Carnival Executive Committee|
|Cursed Man||Cursed Man|
|Cursed Man's children||Carnival Committee apprentice|
|Deku Scrubs||Deku Guards|
|Fisherman|| Man from Trading Post|
Man from Curiosity Shop
Swamp Fisherman (MM3D)
|Graveyard Boy||Jim and the Bombers Secret Society of Justice|
|Honey and Darling||Honey and Darling|
|Ingo||Gorman and Gorman Brothers|
|Koume and Kotake||Koume and Kotake|
|Laughing Men||Twin Jugglers|
|Mamamu Yan||Mamamu Yan|
|Mini-game Operator||Mini-game Operator|
|Poe Collector||Poe Collector|
|Throne room Soldier||Captain Viscen|
|Treasure Chest Game Operator||Fisherman|
Termina houses Gorons, Dekus, and Zoras, as well as the undead entities haunting the Ikana region. The inhabitants of the land have properties not seen from their counterparts of other lands, particularly Hyrule. For example, the Deku race is able to fly with the help of Deku Flowers, the Gorons are unable to survive underwater, whereas the Zoras live in saline waters (instead of a river or a lake).
The name Termina is derived from the Latin word terminus, which means "end," or the end of something, a reference to how Termina was doomed to destruction. It may also be derived from terminate, to end something. Termina is also the Spanish and Portuguese word for "finish/end," thus having the same symbolic meaning. The name may also derive from the phrase "world terminus," used to describe places where one can access many other areas (such as Termina Field) and referring to Termina's compass-like geography.
- "This is a kind of parallel world that is similar to and yet different from the land of Hyrule, which was the setting for the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time." (Majora's Mask manual, pg. 6)
- "Oh, forgive me. I am Toto, manager of the band, The Indigo-Go's." — Toto (Majora's Mask)
- "The door to the clock tower opens only once a year--at midnight on the eve of the carnival." — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- "Swamp Tourist Information ahead." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "Lottery Shop" — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "Well, the Swamp Tourist Center is currently holding a pictograph contest." — Swamp Tourist Center Guide (Majora's Mask)
- "Planned Moon Trip Experiment Memo: Try using bomb-powered flight" — Poster inside the Bomb Shop (Majora's Mask)
- "Done with the battles he once waged across time, he embarked on a journey. A secret and personal journey... A journey in search of a beloved and invaluable friend..." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "What's with that stupid horse of yours?! It doesn't listen to a word that's said to it... There's no point in riding a thing like that, so I did you a favor and got rid of it... Hee, hee... Hee, hee! Now, that's a good look for you! You'll stay here looking that way forever!" — Skull Kid (Majora's Mask)
- "This tale's from long ago when all the people weren't separated into four worlds like they are now. In those times all the people lived together, and the four giants lived among them." — Anju's Grandmother (Majora's Mask)
- "On the day of the festival that celebrates the harvest, the giants spoke to the people..."We have chosen to guard the people while we sleep...100 steps north, 100 steps south, 100 steps east, 100 steps west. If you have need, call us in a loud voice by declaring something such as, 'The mountain blizzard has trapped us.' Or 'The ocean is about to swallow us.' Your cries shall carry to us..."" — Anju's Grandmother (Majora's Mask)
- "Now then...There was one who was shocked and saddened by all this. A little imp. The imp was a friend of the giants since before they had created the four worlds. "Why must you leave? Why do you not stay?" The childhood friend felt neglected, so he spread his anger across the four worlds. Repeatedly, he wronged all people. Overwhelmed with misfortune, the people sang the song of prayer to the giants who lived in each of the four compass directions. The giants heard their cry and responded with a roar. "Oh, imp. Oh, imp. We are the protectors of the people. You have caused the people pain. Oh, imp, leave these four worlds! Otherwise, we shall tear you apart!" The imp was frightened and saddened. He had lost his old friends. The imp returned to the heavens, and harmony was restored to the four worlds. And the people rejoiced and they worshiped the giants of the four worlds like gods. And they lived happily...ever after..." — Anju's Grandmother (Majora's Mask)
- "The mask that was stolen from me...It is called Majora's Mask. It is an accursed item from legend that is said to have been used by an ancient tribe in its hexing rituals. It is said that an evil and wicked power is bestowed upon the one who wears that mask. According to legend...the troubles caused by Majora's Mask were so great...the ancient ones, fearing such catastrophe, sealed the mask in shadow forever, preventing its misuse." — Happy Mask Salesman (Majora's Mask)
- "Ikana Kingdom was founded on this land, stained with a history of darkness, drenched in blood..." — Poe Collector (Majora's Mask)
- "That is the mask of the leader of the ninjas who once spied on the hilltop castle with the blood-stained history." — Poe Collector (Majora's Mask)
- "That is the mask of the captain of the soldiers who once served to protect the castle on the hilltop." — Poe Collector (Majora's Mask)
- "The kingdom being ruined and us left in this state...Isn't it petty, little battles like this that have caused it? Believing in your friends and embracing that belief by forgiving failure...These feelings have vanished from our hearts. It all happened after somebody thrust open the doors of that Stone Tower." — Igos du Ikana (Majora's Mask)
- "Each year, the season of harmony begins when the sun and moon are in alignment. Paying homage to the way that both nature and time are tirelessly in the process of progressing...the Carnival of Time is when the peoples of the four worlds celebrate that harmony and request fruitfulness for the year. For ages, people have worn masks resembling the giants who are the gods of the four worlds. Now, it has become a custom for each person to bring a handmade mask to the Carnival of Time. It is said that if a couple united on the day of the festival and dedicated a mask as a sign of their union, it would bring luck. The centerpiece of the carnival is the clock tower, and on the eve of all the festivities, the doors to its roof are opened...From atop the clock tower roof, a ceremony to call the gods is held and an ancient song is sung. All of these festivities for the Carnival of Time are held so that we may ask the gods for a rich harvest in the year to come!" — Anju's Grandmother (Majora's Mask)
- "Mr. Dotour Mayor of Clock Town. V.I.P." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "This is the royal palace of the Deku Kingdom. This is no place for outsiders." — Deku Scrub (Majora's Mask)
- "The chosen one, Darmani... is you! There could be no other! ...What do you think? If it's you, everyone would happily accept you as the patriarch." — Goron Elder (Majora's Mask)
- "What business have you in Ikana Kingdom, land where only the dead roam?" — Igos du Ikana
- "You got a Green Rupee! That's worth one Rupee!" — N/A (Majora's Mask)
- "Hey there, little guy! Won't you deposit some Rupees? Nowadays, even if people have money, they don't deposit any. Nothing! Nothing!!!" — Banker (Majora's Mask)
- "This is the palace of the Deku Kingdom. Only those on official business may enter!" — Deku Guard (Majora's Mask)
- "Pirates' Cove ahead. Tourists are not welcome." — Sign (Majora's Mask)
- "Pinnacle Rock ahead. Beware murky water and sea snakes." — Sign (Majora's Mask)
- "I had no idea this place was here...I'll be safe here for sure. I'm glad I found it early." — Man (Majora's Mask)
- "We're called a Milk Bar, and we serve the milk of the night. Our most popular, of course, is Chateau Romani. It's a vintage milk. It comes from Romani Ranch, and the current price is 200 Rupees!" — Mr. Barten (Majora's Mask)
- "Are you ready, boy? I'm going to try to get us through here as fast as I can! If any pursuers come from behind, chase them off with your arrows. They may be after my cargo of milk bottles." — Cremia (Majora's Mask)
|Names in Other Regions|