- This article is about the character Tingle. For information on the series in which he stars, see Tingle (Series).
Tingle artwork from The Wind Waker HD
|Race||Tingle (possibly Hylian or Human)|
|Game(s)|| Majora's Mask|
Oracle of Ages
The Wind Waker
Four Swords Adventures
The Minish Cap
|Non-canon Appearances|| Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland|
Tingle's Balloon Fight DS
Too Much Tingle Pack
Ripened Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U
|Era|| Force Era|
Era of the Hero of Time
Era of Light and Dark
Era of the Great Sea
Era of Shadow
|Family|| Swamp Tourist Center Guide (father)|
Ankle and Knuckle (brothers)
|Voice Actor(s)|| Takeharu Onishi (MM)|
Hironori Miyata (TWW, FSA, SSBB, SSB4, HW)
Kazuyuki Kurashima (FPTRR)
Tingle is a recurring character in The Legend of Zelda series.
In Majora's Mask, Tingle appears as the son of the Swamp Tourist Center Guide obsessed with Fairies. He is 35 years old and claims to be the reincarnation of a Fairy. Suspended by a balloon in the air, he uses his vantage point to plot maps of Termina, which Link is able to purchase. He sells maps to help out his father. If Link brings his father a picture of Tingle, he will be rewarded with a Piece of Heart. Tingle will always remember the form Link is using when he is first spoken to in a cycle. If Link talks to Tingle in a form other than the one used for their first meeting, he will still recognise Tatl and dismiss Link's change in appearance as being magic.
Oracle of Ages
In Oracle of Ages, Tingle can be found floating on top of a stump in the Forest of Time. To reach Tingle, Link needs Ricky's assistance the first time, as his path is blocked by holes and cliffs. There is an alternate route through a cave to Tingle that does not require Ricky, but in order to extend the bridge across the gap, Link needs the Seed Shooter to hit a Crystal Switch around a corner. Tingle gives Link the Island Chart that he uses while crossing the sea to reach Crescent Island. If Link returns later, Tingle will also give Link an upgraded Seed Satchel.
The Wind Waker
In The Wind Waker, the people of Windfall Island had put Tingle in jail for stealing a Picto Box. Once Link frees him, Tingle gives him the Tingle Tuner in return so Link can ask him for help at any time. Afterwards, Link can find Tingle on Tingle Island, where he also meets Tingle's younger brother Ankle and his friend David Jr. Link can also meet Knuckle, Tingle's other brother, on Outset Island. Tingle can translate Triforce Charts for Link so he can find the Triforce Shards at a price of 398 Rupees each.
By using the Tingle Tuner, Link can interact with Tingle. The young hero can buy items from him, find hidden Tingle Statues in dungeons, and fulfill sidequests on Windfall and Outset Islands. In the Tower of the Gods, five legendary pages can be found, which tell the history of Tingle from Majora's Mask. In The Wind Waker HD, Tingle's Tuner is replaced by the Tingle Bottle, therefore removing various interactions with Tingle.
|Tingle (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|| Birthplace: Unknown.|
Favorite Things: Fairies, deciphering maps.
It's been several years since Tingle first became enchanted with deciphering maps in the hopes it would help him find fairies, and he's lost many things during that time.
He's raising funds to begin his search for fairies, hoping to embark sometime in his thirties, while the lust of life is still upon him. At the age of 35, the pressure's on!
Four Swords Adventures
In Four Swords Adventures, Tingle collects Force Gems. Throughout the game, anytime Link finds a big Force Gem outside of dungeons, Tingle will also try to get it. If Link picks up the Force Gem first, he will retreat. Link can also shoot an Arrow at Tingle to slow him down. Tingle also tries to pick up the huge Force Gems, but his balloon can not carry them.
Tingle posts signs throughout the stages called the Tingle Times, which tell a story of an experience Tingle had in the area , offering insight to his childish nature. Tingle also runs the Tingle's Tower, a multiplayer minigame gallery that can be accessed by progressing through the Hyrulean Adventure mode.
The Minish Cap
In The Minish Cap, Tingle can be found on a ledge east of Link's House after the young hero initially fails to cross Castor Wilds. When spoken to, Tingle mistakes Link for a Fairy and promptly requests that they fuse Kinstones. Tingle will also tell Link that he gave Kinstones to his brothers, and promises that if the young hero fuses Kinstones with each of them, he will receive something significantly beneficial. Tingle hopes to become a Fairy by fusing Kinstones.
When Link successfully fuses Kinstones with Tingle, one of the trees in North Hyrule Field will open with a chamber containing a Switch connected to a torch and a Treasure Chest containing a Kinstone Piece. When spoken to afterwards, Tingle and his brothers will tell Link how many Kinstone Fusions he has left to complete. When Link has done all Kinstone fuses, Tingle will give him the Tingle Trophy, which replaces his Kinstone Bag. After Link fuses Kinstones with all of the Tingle Brothers, he will offer to fuse Kinstones with the young hero again, which will cause a Golden Tektite to appear on Mount Crenel.
|Tingle Siblings? (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
||Tingle (in green) and his twin younger brothers Ankle (in purple) and Knuckle (in blue). They believe fusing Kinstones will help them meet fairies, so they are recording Kinstone data on their maps. David Jr. is not technically a relative.|
|Ambiguously Canon Content||hide|
Kooloo-Limpah are Tingle's "magic" words he created. Kooloo-Limpah is a romanization of "kururinpa," the sound that Japanese people make when doing the "Cuckoo sign," a circling motion of the index finger at the ear or side of the head that signifies that a person is crazy.
| This article or section does not sufficiently cite its sources.
Please help by introducing appropriate citations.
|Ambiguously Canon Content||hide|
Tingle, along with Navi, is one of Nintendo's most widely criticized characters. IGN editors particularly loathe Tingle for his role in The Wind Waker for leading Link through many "tedious fetch quests." When Twilight Princess was being created, IGN hoped that Shigeru Miyamoto and Eiji Aonuma would not include the character, saying "we're not going to stand for him in another Zelda game." Most criticism of the character comes from Western gamers, but in Japan, Tingle has a huge following, which resulted in the development of several spin-off games featuring Tingle as the main character.
- Purlo, the character who runs the STAR Game in Twilight Princess, is a direct reference to Tingle. Eiji Aonuma had said that Purlo is what Tingle would look like if he was a realistic character.
- Tingle appears in a wanted poster in the Mercay Tavern in Phantom Hourglass and in Ferrus' home in Spirit Tracks.
- A figurine of Tingle can be found in several houses and shops in Spirit Tracks. A golden version exists inside the Trading Post. The same figurine can be seen during the credits of Spirit Tracks.
- In Skyward Sword, a Tingle plush can be found on the desk inside Zelda's room.
- "Blimey! Where is he? That spoiled child is off playin' hooky again! A child his age has no business searching for fairies...!" — Swamp Tourist Center Guide (Majora's Mask)
- "Alas, though I am already age 35, no fairy has come to me yet... My father tells me to grow up and act my age, but why? I tell you...Tingle is the very reincarnation of a fairy!" — Tingle (Majora's Mask)
- "Lucky! Lucky! You're so lucky to have a fairy! I know! I know! We should be friends! Yes! Yes! In exchange, I will sell you a map for cheap as a sign of my friendship." — Tingle (Majora's Mask)
- "Now while I stand here waiting for a fairy of my own, I sell maps to help out my father." — Tingle (Majora's Mask)
- "Huh?...A white fairy? The way you look? Ohh...Magic, isn't it, sir?" — Tingle (Majora's Mask)
- "Answer me this... Pick one of the three choices... How old is Tingle, the map salesman?: 15, 25, 35" — Keaton (Majora's Mask)
- "Answer me this... Pick one of the three choices... What are the magic words that Tingle created? Tingle, Tingle...what?: Abracadabra!, Kookoo-Tingle-Rama!, Kooloo-Limpah!" — Keaton (Majora's Mask)
- "Answer me this... Pick one of the three choices... Is Tingle the mapmaker left-handed or right-handed?: Left-handed, Right-handed, Ambidextrous" — Keaton (Majora's Mask)
- "Answer me this... Pick one of the three choices... What color of trunks does Tingle the mapmaker wear?: Yellow, He doesn't wear any, Red" — Keaton (Majora's Mask)
- "Tingle is my name! I have been looking for you and your kind, for I, too, long to be one of the fairy folk! And yet, I was mistaken for some kind of troublemaker and put into this dreadful sort of place! How disrespectful! Please, Mr. Fairy... Rescue poor Tingle from this place and take him to where you and your kind live in splendor!" — Tingle (The Wind Waker)
- "That green cap and green clothes... Are you...perhaps...a fairy?! Woohaaa!♪ I knew it! I knew it! Tingle wants to be a fairy, too!♪ Actually, Tingle has some Kinstones, you know!" — Tingle (The Minish Cap)
- "And I have given Kinstones to my brothers, too. If you can fuse Kinstones with me and each of my brothers, well... I don't want to give it away, but you'll get something very, very, VERY good! Good luck, Mr. Fairy!" — Tingle (The Minish Cap)
- "They fit perfectly! At last, Tingle can finally turn into a fairy, too!" — Tingle (The Minish Cap)
- "You want to fuse Kinstones? Oh, Tingle is so happy!" — Tingle (The Minish Cap)
- "Oh, no, no, no! Why, you still have XX Kinstones left to fuse! Why, you've only just begun! The road is long, Mr. Fairy!" — Tingle (The Minish Cap)
- "Hey! Mr. Fairy! You've got some nice pieces there! Would you be surprised to know Tingle has a new piece, too? Let's fuse them!" — Tingle (The Minish Cap)
- "Use a Strong Attack to trigger the quick escape function, allowing you to dodge attacks or dish out further Regular or Combo Attacks." — N/A (Hyrule Warriors)
- "Actually, Tingle was a character we kind of considered and sort of went back and forth on. We really wanted to include him but Mr. Aonuma suggested that it might be good to include some other character." — Sickr, Aonuma Told The Hyrule Warriors Team Not To Add Tingle, My Nintendo News, published January 5, 2015.
- "Tingle, Tingle! Kooloo-Limpah! ...These are the magic words that Tingle created himself. Don't steal them!" — Tingle (Majora's Mask)
- Vanpool Interview, Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland Microsite.
- "In Rupeeland, everyone will be made into a tingle!" — The Grand Fairy (Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland)
- IGNcube's 2004 "Die, Tingle, Die! Die!" Campaign, IGN.
- "チンクルはほかのソフトでも活躍（注11）してることもあって、チンクルとは名乗っていないんですけど…。でも、あのスタアマンは「チンクルをリアルにしたらどうなるんだろう？」ってことで、開発当初に中野（祐輔さん＝メインキャラクターデザイナー）がラフで描きおこしたものがベースになってるんです。" —Eiji Aonuma (Eiji Aonuma interview)
|Names in Other Regions|