Tower of the Gods
The tower as viewed from a distance
|Game(s)||The Wind Waker|
|Main Item||Command Melody|
Treasure Charts ×2
|Quest Reward(s)||Access to Hyrule|
Access to the Master Sword
|Theme Music||File:TWW tower of the gods.ogg|
Entrance to the Tower
The tower is hidden deep under the waves and requires all three of the Goddess Pearls to pull it from the depths. Link must travel to three Triangle Islands and place the correct Pearl on their respective statues. The final statue will then explode and send Link shooting through the air and slamming into a giant wall. Luckily, the King of Red Lions arrives and guides Link into the entrance of the Tower.
The dungeon combines elements of water and light, and is separated into three territories: In the first floor, Link and the King of Red Lions have to move through the water (and with great difficulty, considering the fact that the wind is not blowing here), whose level goes up and down at certain times. As Link explores the rooms, he has to take advantage of the water's changing level so that he can bring statues that open new paths, and ultimately close the main source of water to open new ones so that the path leading to the second floor can be crossed.
Once there, Link has to separately guide three semi-sentient statues (named Servants of the Tower by the King of Red Lions) through various obstacles to the central altar. Doing this gives him access to the third floor. There are three destinations on the second floor, each with one statue; Link eventually finds and learns the Command Melody to telepathically control the statues and bring them to the altar, then finds the Hero's Bow to shoot distant targets that activate elevators and platforms.
Once Link reaches the third floor, he solves a puzzle that rewards him with the Big Key, then finally crosses a staircase patrolled by Kargaroc birds and some Beamos to find the boss's lair. The tower is guarded by Gohdan, a giant floating head and pair of hands, and who serves as the ultimate challenge for the chosen one who visits the tower in search of his fate's goal. The entrance to flooded Hyrule is nearby this tower, only accessible after the dungeon has been beaten and the bell at the top rings (oddly, that area is accessible only once under normal conditions).
Minor Enemies and Traps
- When connected by lines, Dragon Roost Island, Forest Haven, and Greatfish Isle form a large triangle; the three Triangle Islands, when connected by lines, creates a smaller triangle attached to the larger one - the entire image created is that of the Triforce, and the Tower of the Gods exists at the dead center of the symbol.
- Like the Great Palace in The Adventure of Link, the tower is used to test the courage of potential heroes.
- The Tower is the tallest structure in the game and can be seen from almost every area of the map grid. It appears to have several dozen floors, but Link only goes through a few and is then teleported to the top.
- The Final Boss of the Tower, Gohdan, is similar to Bongo Bongo from Ocarina of Time, Ramrock from Oracle of Ages, Mazaal from The Minish Cap, Andross from the Starfox series, and Eyerok from Super Mario 64 due to their possession of two severed hands (and, with the exception of Andross and Bongo Bongo, having eyes on the palms of those hands).
- Tower of the Gods shares similarity to the Temple of Time from Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. It mirrors the Temple of Time from Twilight Princess, in that it contains statues which Link is able to control. The interior design for the dungeons is also similar.
- It's one of the only two dungeons in the game without a Warp Jar. The other is Forsaken Fortress.
- The music for this dungeon combines elements of the music for the latter 2 explored by Link: Dragon Roost Cavern can be heard as an ambient overtone in the background, while part of the Forbidden Woods's music can be heard over it.
- "This tower, which the pearls of the gods have caused to appear, is a place that the gods of the ancient world prepared so that they might test the courage of men. Only one who is able to overcome the trials that await here will be acknowledged by the gods to be a true hero. Only then will that hero be permitted to wield the power to destroy the great evil. Link, that which you must obtain now lies before you! You must believe in your own courage, which has led you to triumph over the many hardships you have faced...and you must triumph once again! You must rise above the trial of the gods!" — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker)
- "Link, it is I, the King of Red Lions. I am afraid there are some areas to which you will not be able to bring the servants of the tower. But do not fear leaving them behind! Once you have awakened them, they will wait patiently for your return. Of this I assure you!" — King of Red Lions (The Wind Waker)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||神の塔 (Kami no Tō)||Tower of the Gods|
|Spanish||Torre de los Dioses|
|French||Tour des Dieux|
|German||Turm der Götter|
|Italian||Torre degli Spiriti||Tower of the Spirits|
|Islands in The Wind Waker|
Click on an island