From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Title||Sorceress of Shadows|
|Game(s)||Oracle of Ages|
Veran is the antagonist of Oracle of Ages. She is the Sorceress of Shadows and has the ability to possess anybody she wishes. Although she appears to be the ultimate evil, Veran is nothing more than a loyal servant to Twinrova, dedicated to bringing about the Dark Lord Ganon's revival by bringing sorrow to the hearts of everyone in Labrynna.
Sorceress of Shadows
Veran first meets Link while controlling Impa and tricks him into moving a boulder that can only be moved by one who bears the sign of the Triforce. She then tricked him into getting close to Nayru, and then released Impa, so that she could possess Nayru. Quickly assuming control of Nayru's body, Veran immediately traveled back in time, to alter history to her liking.
As Nayru, Veran tricks Queen Ambi into trusting her and warping the purpose of the Black Tower, which was to be used to search for Ambi's lost love, convincing Ambi to order the town to build the Tower to the heavens. Veran also quickly dismissing anyone from the castle who may have brought Queen Ambi to her senses, leaving her grip on Ambi unopposed.
It soon came to Veran's attention that her bane grew deep within the woods outside of Lynna Village. In an attempt to rid herself of what might undermine her, Veran had Ambi offer a reward to anyone who could bring back the Mystery Seeds for her. Ironically, it was Link himself who would present the Seeds to Queen Ambi, unknowing of their advantage. Although it is never stated what Veran actually did with the seeds Link gave Ambi, it is mainly thought she had them destroyed. However, Veran remained unaware of the abundance of Mystery Seeds among others in the dungeons across Labrynna, as well as the Mystery Seed tree that grew on Rolling Ridge. Presumably, she was also unaware of the fast growth rate of Mystical Seeds.
Just before the Black Tower was completed, Link eventually came face-to-face with her, in Ambi's Palace, but Veran tells him that if he were to attack her, only Nayru would bear the damage. However, Link had found out about Veran's weakness to Mystery Seeds, and was prepared to take her down through their use. Following a short battle, Veran was driven from Nayru, almost immediately into Queen Ambi herself, however. Taking full advantage of her situation, Veran was able to drive Link, Nayru and Ralph, who had burst into the palace at the same time as Link, away, Nayru rescuing them all to the disappointment of Veran. As Link continued to finish his quest, the Black Tower reached completion as the seventh Essence became his.
At this point, Veran had gained the power to control time to an extent, even without Nayru, freezing many in time as she cultivated her new power and restoring the chaos that Nayru's freedom had reversed. However, after Link obtained the eighth essence, another face confronted Veran before he could: Ralph.
Although Ralph knew that, by killing his ancestor Queen Ambi, and thus Veran, he would vanish, he cared only for the people of Labrynna, and so attempted to kill her, ultimately failing. However, due to Veran's 'generosity', Ralph lived on, and Veran moved on to face Link. After Link managed to free Ambi, he was only just able to avoid possession himself. Continuing the battle, Link was eventually able to overcome Veran's final forms. However, Veran simply laughed, calling Link a fool as she died, her task complete. The revival of Ganon was simply closer to fruition.
Veran has several different strategies, depending on which form she is in.
- See also: Possessed Nayru
Possessed Nayru's only attack consists of shooting fireballs in a radial pattern. The projectiles spread out the further they travel, and Link's shield can't block them, so it's best to walk in the gaps that form at a distance.
The only way to attack Veran herself is by shooting her with Mystery Seeds from Link's Seed Shooter, or simply sprinkling the seed on her. If hit, Veran will temporarily lose her possession, but she'll seep back into Nayru if Link is not fast enough. By switching places with her via the Long Switch, she'll have a tougher time getting back to the body, and Link will have the opportunity to slash her at least once. Even so, Possessed Nayru will often hide behind pillars scattered across the room while she prepares an attack, making it harder to hit her with the Seed Shooter and Long Switch fast enough to get an attack in. If the attack process is repeated three times, Veran will be temporarily defeated, and Naryu will be freed.
The strategy for Ambi is little different than it was for Nayru. As Ambi, the only new ability Veran obtains is the ability to summon small spiders. Besides this, the strategy is still to use Mystery Seeds when she stops moving, then to use the Switch Hook to pull Veran out of Ambi.
Veran's true form is drastically different in appearance to the normal form she takes. Taking on the form of a demonic fairy, Veran is now accompanied by four Dark Links, which act as little more than Arm-Mimics.
Veran's attacks in this form changed little from her other form, her signature energy attack becoming much faster, she will also shoot small and large blue fire balls, and of course physical contact. To defeat this form, Link simply had to attack her with his sword whenever she came into range, taking care to dodge her attacks. By repeating this method, Veran appeared to be defeated. As Link, Ralph and Nayru exited the Black Tower, a sudden rumbling had Link push Ralph and Nayru away, as a Wallmaster carried Link back to the top.
As the Wallmaster released Link, a truly horrific side of Veran was revealed, as she appeared to Link in the forms she had wished to keep a secret from everybody. Now, with no other choice before her, Veran revealed her Metamorphosis state.
During this phase, Veran is prone to randomly changing between her three shapes. There is no order in which Veran will change shapes, with the exception that she will always start in Beetle form. Although she will normally change back to Beetle after assuming one of her other two forms, it is entirely possible for her to go from Spider to Bee and vice-versa.
As little more than an oversized, grotesque beetle in this form, Link quickly realized that all Veran could do now was jump and land, creating a pool of acid underneath her when she landed. By attacking her face when she emerged with the sword, she would then transform into one of two forms.
One of Veran's three Metamorphosis forms, Veran's weakness remains her head, which must be attacked with the sword. However, the bee form is faster than the beetle form, able to move alarmingly fast at times. Her main attack is a barrage of stingers, although she may also summon a swarm of bees to attack Link.
Arguably Veran's hardest form, this state has no obvious weak point at first. Its attacks include high-speed charges and using web to pull itself onto the Tower roof, then slamming down in an attempt to crush Link. In this form, Veran can also catch Link in her web and slam him on the ground.
Out of all the weapons in Link's inventory, the only one which can reveal Veran's weak spot is one of his bombs. By using a bomb on this state, Veran would show her face for a few valuable seconds, allowing Link to attack her with his sword. After Veran had taken enough damage, given her life, she will either revert to her beetle form or she will fall.
- Though Veran bears the Gerudo Symbol on her shoulder-pads, in addition to the single eye on her dress, her true form is that of a demonic fairy. However, her human form somewhat resembles that of a Twili from Twilight Princess (she bears resemblance to Midna's true form). The Gerudo Symbol likely represents her affiliation with Twinrova.
- The form that Veran takes when possessing people is strikingly similar to the form the Nightmare takes when between forms.
- Curiously, Link never fights Veran in her normal form, besides the few attacks he inflicts on her after forcibly removing her from Ambi or Nayru's body.
- Before fighting Veran in her "true form" phase, Veran attempts to possess Link, but Link avoids this by doing a back-flip to dodge her. Unless Link has the Roc's Feather equipped, this would not technically be possible.
- The four Dark Links Veran summons in her "true form" phase always give one heart each on their defeat.
- There is debate as to whether Veran's true form is what she refers to as her true form, or Metamorphosis. In-game, Veran mentions she wishes to keep this form a secret to everybody.
- More often than not, the spiders that Ambi summons will give Link bombs upon their death, subtly hinting of Spider Veran's weakness.
- Any being possessed by Veran would be signaled by their skin turning blue, a trait that would remain until Veran left that particular body.
- In the Oracle of Ages manga, Veran also possesses Ralph at one point in an attempt to destroy the Mystery Seeds Link had gathered.
- ↑ "I am Veran, Sorceress of Shadows!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Oh, that's it! This rock with the triangle is a sign! Could you move this rock for me, Link? I'll...um...I'll just...I can't do it." — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "That Veran! She couldn't touch the stone, so she used you to get past it!" — Ralph (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "My, these Mystery Seeds are disgusting! Their shape and scent...yuck!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "Link! I am amazed you have come so far. Wait! Do you mean to turn your sword on me? Hah hah hah hah! If you want to hurt Nayru, then go right ahead!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "My body withers...But you are too late! My role...was to disrupt the currents of time...to flood humanity in sorrow. The despair that fills this land has already passed through this tower and on to Twinrova! I see it...burning blue...the Flame of Sorrow! Hah hah hah...I'll be waiting, Link...to haunt you...and the Evil King Ganon...will plunge the world...into darkness!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
- ↑ "If you blast [Mystery Seeds] at Nayru, you'll cause Veran's spirit to exit her body." (The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Ages Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 101)
- ↑ "When Veran's dark spirit emerges, fire your Switch Hook at it to drag it away. Before Veran has a chance to retreat into Nayru's body, hit the specter with your sword." (The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Ages Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 101)
- ↑ "Repeat the process three times to rescue Nayru." (The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Ages Nintendo Player's Guide (Nintendo Power), pg. 101)
- ↑ "How cold of you to run off and leave me all alone! But my, aren't you courageous? You've spoiled all my plans! I'd hoped to avoid revealing this vile shape...you'll pay for my humiliation with your life! Now, Link, it is your turn to taste despair...and the fear of death!" — Veran (Oracle of Ages)
|Names in Other Regions|
|French||Veran, Sorcière des Ombres|