From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
A Wallet is a bag used by Link in almost every The Legend of Zelda game used to hold the series's currency, Rupees. Starting in Ocarina of Time, the games feature several wallets of varying maximum capacities that can be acquired through various means as the game progresses. The actual maximum capacity and name of these wallets vary from game to game.
|Game||Maximum Amount of Rupees|
|The Legend of Zelda||255|
|The Adventure of Link||N/A|
|A Link to the Past||999|
|Ocarina of Time||500|
|Majora's Mask||5,999 (500 in wallet and 5,499 in the Bank)|
|Oracle of Ages||999|
|Oracle of Seasons||999|
|The Wind Waker||5,000|
|Four Swords Adventures||9,999 (Force Gems)|
|The Minish Cap||999|
|Ambiguously canon games|
|Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland||9,999,999|
|BS The Legend of Zelda||9,999 (Map 1), 65,535 (Map 2)|
|Ancient Stone Tablets||99,999|
- In The Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, and Link's Awakening, only one wallet is had throughout the course of the game and is, in fact, not even mentioned.
- The Legend of Zelda has a maximum of 255 Rupees since only 8 bits were used to represent the number due to the hardware limitations of the Nintendo Entertainment System. (28 equals 256, allowing values from 0 to 255)
- The Adventure of Link doesn't even have a Rupee system, as there are no items to purchase.
- In Oracle of Seasons, while in Subrosia, the allowed currency is the Ore, which (like the Rupees) has a 999 limit.
- Four Swords Adventures has no Rupees either, as Force Gems are used instead.
- In Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland there are no wallet upgrades, and Tingle can carry 9,999,999 Rupees from the beginning. This title easily claims the record of having the highest Rupee capacity in the Zelda series.
- Neither Phantom Hourglass nor Spirit Tracks show any wallet upgrades, but both clock at the third highest rupee capacity in the canon series at 9999 Rupees, with Four Swords remaining second.
- In the Four Swords 25th Anniversary edition, the wallet capacity is increased to 999,999 Rupees, which is the highest of any canon game.
Note: The following list is arranged by the location of wallet upgrades in the games where they appear. The upgrades can be obtained in any order, unless otherwise specified, but the upgrade level's order is unrelated to it. Therefore, the first upgrade collected (regardless of which one) will always be the medium-sized Wallet, while the last upgrade will be the largest Wallet.
Also, these games all have a starting Wallet, which will not be mentioned.
|Game||Location||Method of Obtainment||Capacity||Image|
|Ocarina of Time||Kakariko Village||Earned after curing the first child in the House of Skulltula, by killing 10 Gold Skulltulas.||200|
|Kakariko Village||Earned after curing the third child in the House of Skulltula, by killing 30 Gold Skulltulas.||500|
|Majora's Mask||West Clock Town||Acquired after depositing 200 Rupees in the Clock Town Bank.||200|
|Great Bay Coast||Acquired after exterminating all 30 Gold Skulltulas inside the Oceanside Spider House, before the end of the First Day.||500|
|The Wind Waker||Outset Island||Given to Link by the pink colored Great Fairy in the southwersternmost corner of the Fairy Woods, after the young hero blows up a rock that obstructs the entrance to the fountain.||1000|
|Northern Fairy Island||Given to Link by the resident, pink colored Great Fairy||5000|
|The Minish Cap||Hyrule Town||For sale in the Stockwell's Shop, for only 80 Rupees.||300|
|Hyrule Town||Acquired by following the path of the Kinstone Fusion with Mayor Hagen.||500|
|Minish Woods||Found in the Great Butterfly Fairy's fountain.||999|
|Twilight Princess||Hyrule Castle Town||Given to Link by Agitha after retrieving one Golden Bug.||600|
|Hyrule Castle Town||Given to Link by Agitha after retrieving all Golden Bugs.||1000|
|Skyward Sword||Skyloft||Given by Batreaux after bringing him 5 Gratitude Crystals.||500|
|Skyloft||Given by Batreaux after bringing him 30 Gratitude Crystals.||1000|
|Skyloft||Given by Batreaux after bringing him 50 Gratitude Crystals.||5000|
|Skyloft||Given by Batreaux after bringing him 80 Gratitude Crystals.||9000|
|Skyloft||Beedle sells three (3) supplementary wallets, each at a price of 100 Rupees, that contribute to the capacity of the biggest wallet Link receives from Batreaux (or his own wallet otherwise).||300 each|
Ambiguously Canon Appearances
|Ambiguously Canon Content||hide|
- The Tycoon Wallet from Skyward Sword bears a resemblance to Jovani's cursed face from Twilight Princess.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Spanish|| Bolsa de adulto |
|French|| Grande poche |
Poche de géant