The Wallet, introduced in Ocarina of Time, is a piece of gear used in several games to hold that game's currency. The amount of money Link can have on hand is limited by the capacity of the Wallet, so games that feature them often allow them to be upgraded in size; however, several games still keep track of the total money collected for miscellaneous purposes, including that which exceeds the Wallet's capacity.
|Game||Maximum Number of Rupees|
|The Legend of Zelda||255|
|A Link to the Past||999|
|Ocarina of Time||500|
|Majora's Mask||500 (plus 5,499 in the Bank)|
|Four Swords||99,999 (999,999 on Four Swords Anniversary Edition)|
|The Wind Waker||5,000|
|Four Swords Adventures||9,999 (Force Gems)|
|The Minish Cap||999|
|Skyward Sword||9,900 (9,000 in Tycoon Wallet, plus 300 in three complementary wallets)|
|A Link Between Worlds||9,999|
|Tri Force Heroes||99,999|
|Ambiguously canon games|
|Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland||9,999,999|
|BS The Legend of Zelda||9,999 (Map 1); 65,535 (Map 2)|
|Ancient Stone Tablets||99,999|
- In The Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, A Link Between Worlds, and Tri Force Heroes only one wallet is had throughout the course of the game and is, in fact, not even mentioned.
- The Legend of Zelda has a maximum of 255 Rupees since an 8-bit unsigned integer (that is, whether the number is positive or negative is not tracked) was used to represent the number due to the hardware limitations of the Nintendo Entertainment System. (28 equals 256, allowing values from 0 to 255) Similarly, BS The Legend of Zelda Map 2, which runs on the Super Famicom, has a maximum of 65,535 rupees, which is the largest number a 16-bit unsigned integer can hold. However, Ancient Stone Tablets, despite being on the Super Famicom, has a limit of 99,999 rupees.
- The Adventure of Link doesn't even have a Rupee system, as there are no items to purchase.
- In Oracle of Seasons, while in Subrosia, the allowed currency is the Ore, which (like the Rupees) has a 999 limit.
- Four Swords Adventures has no Rupees either, as Force Gems are used instead.
- In Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland there are no wallet upgrades, and Tingle can carry 9,999,999 Rupees from the beginning. This title easily claims the record of having the highest Rupee capacity in the Zelda series.
- Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and A Link Between Worlds do not show any wallet upgrades, but clock at the third highest rupee capacity in the canon series at 9999 Rupees, with Four Swords and Tri Force Heroes remaining second.
- In Four Swords Anniversary Edition, the wallet capacity is increased to 999,999 Rupees, which is the highest of any canon game.
The Wallet upgrades can be obtained in any order, unless otherwise specified. Therefore, the first upgrade obtained will always be a medium-sized Wallet, while the next upgrade will be a larger Wallet.
|Game||Location||Method of Obtainment||Capacity||Image|
|Ocarina of Time||Kakariko Village||Obtained from the first child in the House of Skulltula after collecting 10 Gold Skulltula Tokens.||200|
|Kakariko Village||Obtained from the third child in the House of Skulltula after collecting 30 Gold Skulltula Tokens.||500|
|Majora's Mask||West Clock Town||Obtained after depositing 200 Rupees in the Clock Town Bank.||200|
|Great Bay Coast||Obtained after collecting all 30 Gold Skulltula Spirits inside the Oceanside Spider House on the First Day (any day in Majora's Mask 3D).||500|
|The Wind Waker||Outset Island||Obtained from the Great Fairy in the Fairy Woods.||1,000|
|Northern Fairy Island||Obtained from the Great Fairy.||5,000|
|The Minish Cap||Hyrule Town||Obtained at Stockwell's Shop for 80 Rupees.||300|
|Hyrule Town||Obtained after fusing Kinstones with Mayor Hagen.||500|
|Minish Woods||Obtained from the Great Butterfly Fairy.||999|
|Twilight Princess||Castle Town||Obtained from Agitha after collecting one Golden Bug.||600|
|Castle Town||Obtained from Agitha after collecting all 24 Golden Bugs.||1,000|
|Skyward Sword||Skyloft||Obtained from Batreaux after collecting 5 Gratitude Crystals.||500|
|Skyloft||Obtained from Batreaux after collecting 30 Gratitude Crystals.||1,000|
|Skyloft||Obtained from Batreaux after collecting 50 Gratitude Crystals.||5,000|
|Skyloft||Obtained from Batreaux after collecting all 80 Gratitude Crystals.||9,000|
|Skyloft||Obtained from Beedle for 100 Rupees (3 different wallets available).||300 extra Rupees|
Ambiguously Canon Appearances
|Ambiguously Canon Content||hide|
- The Tycoon Wallet from Skyward Sword bears a resemblance to Jovani's cursed face from Twilight Princess.
|Names in Other Regions|
|Spanish|| Bolsa de adulto |
|French|| Grande poche |
Poche de géant