From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|First appearance||The Wind Waker|
|Latest appearance||Skyward Sword|
Beedle is a small-time businessman, seen working on the high seas with his Shop Ship in The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass, within the gates of Hyrule Castle Town in The Minish Cap, and in the skies of Hyrule with his Air Shop in Spirit Tracks and Skyward Sword. Like the bazaars and Business Scrubs, Beedle sells, and sometimes even buys back, quest-specific items, such as All-Purpose Bait and Picolyte, both of which are not plot-required, but add extra interest to the games. Unlike the other entrepreneurial businesses in the Zelda universe, Beedle incorporates memberships into his line of work, rewarding Link with increased price discounts if he becomes a frequent, repeat customer.
The Wind Waker
In The Wind Waker, Beedle is a local sea merchant who travels the Great Sea in search of profit, but unfortunately never seems to get any luck. His dangerous travels accommodate the perceptibility of his business, so there is certainly some point in Link's quest that he will come across this merchant. He sells a wide range of products, from Arrows and Bombs to Bait for fish and Hyoi Pears. As Link progresses and acquires different weapons, Beedle will provide him with the necessary ammunition to replenish that certain weapon. Most of his products are of important significance, such as the Bait Bag, which can purchased at the very beginning, and allows Link to collect various types of bait. His appearance and attitude may shock some, but he is a generous person who will give his customers affordable prices compared to other shops. Beedle often sends Link things through the mail system used throughout The Great Sea, including his very own chart to help the young hero locate Beedle.
Beedle dreams of opening a chain of trading posts where people can buy, sell, or trade anything, however his sales pitch is unmatched. He currently owns and operates many shop ships across the Great Sea, and he will gladly buy anything Link happens to have in his Spoils Bag. He entices his customers with Silver and Gold Memberships in order to guarantee that they stay regular patrons. Of the rewards for these memberships, one includes the Complimentary ID. When used, Beedle merely compliments Link, although most of his other rewards are useful. Beedle's favorite things are bugs, especially beetles. There is also a Masked Beedle, who appears to be the same person but with a gold-colored plate helmet on. He claims to not be Beedle at all. He owns rarer items that cost much more to buy. Masked Beedle appears in The Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass. In The Wind Waker, Masked Beedle sells one of the four Empty Bottles, a Piece of Heart, and a Treasure Chart that leads to another Piece of Heart. They are all sold for at least 500 Rupees.
|Beedle (Figurine from The Wind Waker)|
|| Birthplace: Unknown.|
Favorite Thing: Bugs (especially beetles).
A businessman by nature, Beedle's sales pitch is unmatched. He hopes to open a chain of trading posts where people can buy, sell, or trade anything
The Minish Cap
Beedle appears in The Minish Cap after Link has cleared the dust off with the Gust Jar and he has obtained the Fire Element from the Cave of Flames. For some reason the townsfolk are expecting him to show up, which is odd considering he sounds rather excited when he makes a sale. He sells all kinds of Picolyte, but only in Hyrule Town.
|Beedle (Figurine from The Minish Cap)|
||Though he is an adult, he is very good at finding Picolyte made by the Minish. And he is very, VERY convincing about their healthful properties.|
In Phantom Hourglass, Beedle acts just like in The Wind Waker, he sells various items in his boat. This time, he doesn't buy items, only sells. He sells different ship parts and treasures.
In contrast to The Wind Waker, Beedle only has one ship in Phantom Hourglass. Once Link enters another area, Beedle will soon follow. As seen early in the game, Beedle's ship is not affected by cyclones.
The concept of memberships was expanded to include two more levels of membership and member discounts. A Silver Membership gives a ten percent discount on all items, a Gold Membership gives a twenty percent discount, and so on for a Platinum Membership and the VIP Membership. Discounts or points do not apply to the Masked Beedle's items.
An apparent descendant of Beedle's, sharing his name with his ancestor, runs a hot-air balloon shop during the events of Spirit Tracks. Link can see Beedle's balloon flying around the overworld prior to actually being able to shop in it. At a certain point in the game, Link will receive a letter stating that Beedle's shop is now open. The player can get Beedle's attention from then on when they see him by blowing the Spirit Train's whistle when he is nearby. He will land by the tracks, allowing the player to stop by it like any other outpost on the tracks to visit his shop. Similarly to previous appearances, Beedle offers the player a membership at his shop. The membership allow Link to save up a point for every ten Rupees he spends in the store, which lends itself to certain rewards (including membership upgrades) after Link passes point milestones. Interestingly, the reward for saving up 500 points in Beedle's Shop via his Membership Card is the Heart Container sitting at the back of the store.
Beedle appears again in Skyward Sword, this time selling wares in a flying ship. He operates this ship by pedaling a bicycle which powers an electric generator that drives some gears. He sells Medals, additional wallets, and his most valuable item, a Piece of Heart. Should Link look at something of Beedle's and without purchasing anything, Beedle will rant that, due to Link's weight, he has to pedal "extra hard", and concludes by activating a trap door under Link's feet.
Falling asleep in his ship will allow Link to visit him on his island during the night. He will sit and talk with Link whilst admiring the Horned Colossus Beetle caged in his lap. Here his diction makes a dramatic change with an above average vocabulary and without the joyful yells he's known for. Link can ask about his foreign accent, but Beedle doesn't appear to notice any difference, and will dismiss the question as unimportant.
- Besides Navi, Beedle is one of the few Zelda characters that utilizes a basic level of voice acting.
- The shorts Beedle wears have a picture that resemble a bug from Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask.
- In Twilight Princess, the dolls lying on the second floor of Jaggle and Pergie's house bear resemblance to Beedle. Coro, from the same game, seems also to be a realistic reference to Beedle, characterized by his similar merchant-like appearance and his grateful, friendly attitude towards Link. 
- In Spirit Tracks, if Link hits Beedle's hot air balloon while he is landed, he rises up into the air.
- In Skyward Sword, asking Beedle about his Piece of Heart before buying it will yield the response that he does not actually know what it is, and picked it up from somewhere nearby and decided to sell it. This may indicate that ordinary characters besides Link do not actually understand what Pieces of Heart are or what they do.
- ↑ "OHHHHH! A customer! Welcome to Beedle's Shop Ship! I deal in pretty much anything and everything!" — Beedle (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "Do you have anything you don't need? If you do, show it to me! I'll pay top Rupees for your junk!!!" — Beedle (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "I'm going to make a Member's Card just for you! When you buy lots of things and build up your points, something good will happen to you! Something very good, indeed! My shop is kind to its customers. No other shop will do this sort of thing for you, I'll have you know." — Beedle (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "Beedle runs Beedle's Shop Ship, a traveling boatload of values that sails between several islands of the Great Sea." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 22)
- ↑ "You can buy All-Purpose Bait, Hyoi Pears, Bombs, Arrows, and Red Potions from most of his locations." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 22)
- ↑ "Beedle is the merchant who travels across the Great Sea in his Ship Shop, selling wares that include the valuable Bait Bag." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games), pg. 160)
- ↑ "We're having an extra-special sale on this choice item for a limited time only! You'll know where to find us by checking the enclosed Beedle Shop Ship Chart! Visit a Beedle Shop Ship near you today! (Offer not available in all regions.)" — Beedle (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 "Beedle, Birthplace: Unknown, Favorite Thing: Bugs (especially beetles), A businessman by nature, Beedle's sales pitch is unmatched. He hopes to open a chain of trading posts where people can buy, sell, or trade anything." — N/A (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "Beedle rewards frequent customers with a Silver Membership (which entitles you to the Complimentary ID) and a Gold Membership (which gets you the Fill-Up Coupon)." (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games page= 22), pg. )
- ↑ "You want to use your Complimentary ID? ... OK! Here it goes... You are soooooooooooooooooo GREAT! ... Absolutely fantastic! ... Incredible! And there you go! Isn't it nice to be complimented once in a while? It is, isn't it?" — Beedle (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "What's that? Why would I know what that is? I'm not Beedle! Or whatever his name is! Don't show me that!" — Masked Beedle (The Wind Waker)
- ↑ "If you catch him at Rock Spiral Isle (B3), you can also buy a Piece of Heart, an Empty Bottle, and Treasure Chart #4" (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (Prima Games page= 22), pg. )
- ↑ "This stall is such a mess! Does that mean Beedle's not going to show up?" — Townsfolk (The Minish Cap)
- ↑ "Tch! This stall is such a mess! Maybe that's why Beedle's not here selling his Picolyte." — Townsfolk (The Minish Cap)
- ↑ "I made a sale! Oh, thank you! Please, do come again!" — Beedle (The Minish Cap)
- ↑ "I sell all kinds of Picolyte! I just put it in your bottle, and good stuff happens when you drink it!" — Beedle (The Minish Cap)
- ↑ "You're now an official Silver Member! Silver Members get 10% off all merchandise AND a wonderful prize! You should receive your prize in the mail within a week, so please be patient! Next, shoot for the elite Gold Membership!" — Beedle (Phantom Hourglass)
- ↑ "You're now an official Gold Member! Gold Members get 20% off all merchandise AND an incredible prize! You should receive your prize in the mail within a week, so please be patient! Next, shoot for the rare Platinum Membership!" — Beedle (Phantom Hourglass)
- ↑ "OHHHH! My valued VIP customer! Thank you for maxing out your points! I normally pad my prices... but for you, dear VIP, I will resist the urge!" — Beedle (Phantom Hourglass)
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 "Greetings! There's a new shop in town--Beedle's Air Shop! We're having a bomb-bag blowout, so keep your eyes peeled for our hot-air balloon! Whenever you see me, drive up close and blow your train whistle. Hope to see you soon!" — Beedle (Spirit Tracks)
- ↑ "Earn a point for every 10 Rupees you spend. Get a Silver Card for 200 points, a Gold Card for 500 points, and a Platinum Card for 1,000 points." — Beedle (Spirit Tracks)
|Names in Other Regions|
| Terri (The Wind Waker)|