From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
Grog in Majora's Mask
|First appearance||Ocarina of Time|
|Latest appearance||Majora's Mask|
|Family|| Ocarina of Time:|
Carpenter's Boss (father)
Cucco Lady (sister)
Appearances and Biography
Ocarina of Time
In Ocarina of Time, Grog is unnamed, but the game's narration refers to him as the young punk guy. He can be found in Kakariko Village when Link is a child, where he will be sitting underneath the tree near the village entrance at night. He is the Carpenters' Boss's son and the Cucco Lady's brother. He also appears to be the potion shop lady's grandson, but it is also possible that she is his mother.
When Young Link speaks to the young punk guy, he will comment on how he finds everyone, including his own mother and father, to be disgusting. Later when Link is an adult, the young punk guy is part of the Biggoron Sword sidequest. In Kakariko Village, if Link talks to the Cucco Lady after waking Talon with the Pocket Cucco, she will give Link a blue Cucco named Cojiro. She mentions that the Cucco used to belong to her brother, and ever since he disappeared, Cojiro has stopped crowing. Link can then find the young punk guy in the Lost Woods sleeping beside a tree stump where the Skull Kid would play his flute. When Link shows him Cojiro, he will wake up and be surprised that someone else has been able to tame the Cucco. Taking this as a sign that Link is a "nice guy," he asks the young hero to deliver an Odd Mushroom to the old lady in the Potion Shop.
Upon showing the Odd Mushroom to the Potion Shop Lady, she calls the young punk guy a "bum" for going into the Lost Woods, and asks Link that if he sees "that fool", to give him the Odd Potion. However, when Link returns to the forest to give the young punk guy the medicine, Fado is there instead. She explains that due to the fabled curse of the woods, he is gone and has become a Stalfos.
In Majora's Mask, Grog appears by name and has a completely different role than the young punk guy from Ocarina of Time. He is the owner of the Cucco Shack in Romani Ranch and loves his Cucco chicks, but when he hears the rumor that the Moon will fall on Termina in three days, he is filled with sorrow as he understands he will not see his chicks develop into roosters.
Link can help Grog fulfill his wish by parading around the shack with the Bremen Mask on and getting the cucco chicks to follow him. Once all 10 of them are behind following Link, they will immediately begin to transform into full-grown Cuccos. Link in turn receives the Bunny Hood from Grog in thanks for helping him out, saying he does not have any more regrets and is completely satisfied.
- In common day usage, grog is slang for an alcoholic drink, originally composed rum and water, known for being a popular beverage among pirates.
- ↑ "You returned the Odd Potion and got the Poacher's Saw! The young punk guy must have left this behind." — N/A (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Even my own son doesn't have a job, and he just wanders around all day!" — Carpenters' Boss (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Its name is Cojiro, and it used to be my brother's Cucco. Its blue body is quite charming. It's so cute! Since my brother has gone, it's strange, but Cojiro has stopped crowing." — Cucco Lady (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "People are disgusting. My own father and mother are disgusting. You must be disgusting, too!" — Young Punk Guy (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Cojiro? Why? Normally only a nice guy like me can tame you... Which means... You... You must be a nice guy! Must be! You must be!! Please Mr. Nice Guy! Please! Deliver this stuff to the old hag in the potion shop in Kakariko Village!" — Young Punk Guy (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "That bum! He had to go into the forest... [...] If you see that fool, give this to him. It is the strongest medicine I have ever produced. However, this potion will not work on a monster... They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool... I guess that's true..." — Old Lady in the Potion Shop (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "That guy isn't here anymore. Anybody who comes into the forest will be lost. Everybody will become a Stalfos. Everybody, Stalfos." — Fado (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "I heard it from my gramps. Says the moon's gonna fall... With somethin' that big, it's sure to take this ranch down with it... Hahhh...Oh, well. My only regret is that I won't get to see these guys in their prime as roosters." — Grog (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "I don't really get it, but just seein' these guys with a crest and all... I don't have regrets about anythin' anymore. I'm perfectly satisfied. Here...You can have this from me..." — Grog (Majora's Mask)