From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
Link's father and mother in the A Link to the Past comic
|First appearance||Ocarina of Time|
|Non-canon Appearances|| The Legend of Zelda comic|
Ocarina of Time
Link's Mother is an unnamed woman who birthed and cared for Link before the events of Ocarina of Time. She is credited with protecting and entrusting baby Link with the Great Deku Tree in the Kokiri Forest during the time of the Hyrulean Civil War. Link knows nothing of his mother, let alone both parents, because his mother died shortly after giving him up to the Great Deku Tree. In presiding over the Kokiri race, The Great Deku Tree chose to raise Link as a Kokiri, despite his Hylian blood. Because of this, Link awakens in the beginning of Ocarina of Time wearing Kokiri garb, and in the presence of a fairy, a facet of Kokiri society that is prevalent in all of its members.
A mother figure is not mentioned in any other canonical game since Ocarina of Time, where the only mention of her existence is revealed to Link after he completes the Forest Temple, by the freshly-grown Deku Tree Sprout.
The Legend of Zelda comic
- Main article: Medilia
A Link to the Past comic
In the A Link to the Past comic, it is revealed that Link's parents were both Knights of Hyrule; however, they somehow stumbled into the Dark World, leading Link to be adopted by his uncle instead. When Link's Uncle is defeated by Agahnim, he mentions that if the young hero manages to rescue Princess Zelda and the people in the Dark World, he might be able to meet his parents.
Link's parents are seen for the first time in the comic as Link is walking through Death Mountain, where he activates one of the Dark World portals and sees a vision of his mother and father. Although Link tries to reach out for his mother's hand, his hand turns into a claw when it passes the portal's boundary. Link's parents are not seen again until the final chapter after Link has defeated Ganon and peace returns to Hyrule. At Hyrule Castle, Link sees a vision of his father, mother and uncle, who congratulate him on his difficult victory and tell him to never forget the efforts of the many generations of knights and Wise Men that preceded him.
The Legend of Zelda manga
- Main article: Princess Zelda
In the Legend of Zelda manga by Yuu Mishouzaki, Link's mother is Princess Zelda XVI. Zelda XVI had an affair with the elf warrior Rune and gave birth to Link as a result. Link was raised by Impa without ever knowing his true heritage. Zelda XVI later gave birth to Link's half-sister Princess Zelda XVII with the King of Hyrule. After passing on the Triforce of Wisdom to Zelda XVII, Zelda XVI is attacked and murdered by Ganon.
A Link to the Past manga
In the A Link to the Past manga by Akira Himekawa, it is revealed that Ganondorf subjected Link's parents to a period of cursing and smiting in the Dark Realm. Although Link finds traces of his mother throughout his journey, he never truly finds her. 
- ↑ "Some time ago, before the King of Hyrule unified this country, there was a fierce war in our world. One day, to escape from the fires of the war, a Hylian mother and her baby boy entered this forbidden forest." — Deku Tree Sprout (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "The mother was gravely injured... Her only choice was to entrust the child to the Deku Tree, the guardian spirit of the forest." — Deku Tree Sprout (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "After the mother passed away, the baby was raised as a Kokiri." — Deku Tree Sprout (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "You must be wondering why only you have grown up! Well, as you might have already guessed, you are not a Kokiri! You are actually a Hylian!" — Deku Tree Sprout (Ocarina of Time)
- ↑ "Your parents were Knights of Hyrule... But they stumbled into the Dark World... You will never be able to enter the Dark World and find your parents! [...] They dwell now in the Dark World... After they disappeared, your uncle adopted you and shielded you from the intrigues of the Royal Family..." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 14)
- ↑ "Link... Link... We are here with our brother...in the world of darkness...." (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 6)
- ↑ "Uncle?! Are you my father and mother?! It can't be!!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 7)
- ↑ "Link... You have done well, Link... In the Imprisoning War of years past, great armies risked all to seal Ganon in the Dark World. You, however, accomplished a much more lonely and difficult victory... It was not only by your own power, but also that of the many generations of knights and Wise Men who preceded you. Let the memories of their efforts humble you. Never forget!" (A Link to the Past (Nintendo Power), pg. 11, 12)