From Zelda Wiki, the Zelda encyclopedia
|Title||Giant Masked Insect|
|Dungeon(s)||Stone Tower Temple|
|Weakness(es)||Giant's Mask (both, head and tail)|
Fire Arrows (Blue, tail only)
Ice Arrows (Red, tail only)
|Reward(s)||Heart Container, Twinmold's Remains|
In Majora's Mask, Giant Masked Insect: Twinmold is a pair of gargantuan insects found in the fourth dungeon, Stone Tower Temple. This monster is responsible for all the curses that have been placed on Ikana Canyon, and is keeping the final of the Four Giants captive. Twinmold's body is protected by an exoskeleton that leaves only its head and tail exposed.
Link will fight Twinmold in a sand-swept, seemingly endless desert which is somehow linked to the Stone Tower Temple. If Link strays too far from the center of the desert, he will be swallowed by quicksand and be transported back to the beginning of the dungeon.
To defeat Twinmold, Link must attack its vulnerable heads and tails. The most effective method for defeating Twinmold is for Link to use his Sword with the recently acquired Giant's Mask equipped, which will allow the young hero to grow to the size of Twinmold. However, Link will not be able to use Z-Targeting while using the Giant's Mask. As the Giant's Mask drains Link's Magic Meter, it is wise for Link to have Magic-replenishing Potion during the battle. Alternatively, Link can drink a bottle of Chateau Romani before the battle. This will give Link unlimited use of magic. Link can also replenish his Magic Meter by destroying the pillars found throughout the stage, which contain Magic Jars.
It is possible for Link to defeat Twinmold without the Giant's Mask by using Arrows, Bombs, or simply his sword to attack Twinmold's weak points. Ice Arrows are quite effective against Twinmold's red tail, as are Fire Arrows against its blue tail. Twinmold is also vulnerable to Fierce Deity's powerful attacks. However, Fierce Deity's Energy Beam is rather ineffective in this battle due to the fact that Twinmold is constantly in motion.
Once Link has dealt sufficient damage to one half of Twinmold, its body will explode, its head crashing into the sand in the distance.
- Twinmold bears a striking resemblance to the Lanmola of A Link to the Past.
- Twinmold's name may be a reference to Moldorm but with the '-orm' removed and "Twin" placed in front, with 'Twin' referring to the fact that there are two of them.
- This boss is possibly one of the largest Link has ever fought, along with Molgera, Stallord, Bongo Bongo, Morpheel, Eox, Cragma, Dark Dragon, the Demon Train, Koloktos and Tentalus.
- Oddly, there are structures bearing the image of Majora's Mask in the desert that Twinmold is fought in.
- Twinmold is the only boss in Majora's Mask that does not have a distinct Critical Point, the reason being its main weakness is constantly exposed.
- ↑ "Twinmold's Remains: The remains of the boss in Stone Tower Temple." — Inventory Description (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "I wish for you to go to the temple in this land and sever the root of the evil curse that torments us." — Sharp (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "Just its head and tail aren't protected by its hard exoskeleton, so aim carefully." — Tatl (Majora's Mask)
- ↑ "You have just freed the innocent spirit that this dark mask had kept imprisoned within the body of evil Twinmold." — N/A (Majora's Mask)
|Names in Other Regions|
|Japanese||大型仮面虫ツインモルド (Ōgata Kamen Chū Tsuinmorudo)|
|Spanish||Doble Insecto Gigante Enmascarado: Twinmold|
|French||Masque du Double Insecte Géant: Skorn|
|German||Seelenlose Wüstenkriecher: Twinmold|