Kukiel is a young girl who lives in Skyloft with her parents. Link first meets Kukiel in front of her house while looking for his Crimson Loftwing, where she tells him that she plans to go play with her "Special Friend" that day. Once Link receives the Goddess Sword, Kukiel is no where to be found. It is only after receiving the Ruby Tablet and placing it in the Statue of the Goddess that Link learns that Kukiel is missing. Link can find Wryna near the Goddess Statue calling for Kukiel. She suspects that her daughter was kidnapped and asks Link to help search for her daughter. After agreeing, Link asks the townsfolk where she might be, and Orielle says there are rumors of a monster that lives in Skyloft, and that an Old Man named Rusta at the Lumpy Pumpkin supposedly saw the monster. When Link finds him, he tells him how to open up the storage shed leading to the monster's dwelling.
Link follows Rusta's directions and opens the storage shed, revealing a ladder down to a secret house. As he nears the house, Link hears a scream that sounds like Kukiel. He runs into the house and sees Kukiel and the monster, but just as Link pulls out his sword the monster cowers and begs Link not to hurt him, explaining that they were just playing the "scream-as-loud-as-you-can game." He introduces himself as Batreaux and says that he wants to become friends with the people of Skyloft, but all of them except Kukiel are terrified of him. He asks Link to find and show him Gratitude Crystals, so that he can turn into a human.
Kukiel, who affectionately calls Batreaux "Uncle Bats," says Batreaux is a nice man, and that he lets her scream as loud as she can in his house. She promises to be back by morning and asks Link to tell her parents that she is safe. In the morning, Link will find her in her own home, and Wryna will be so overjoyed that five Gratitude Crystals form out of thin air.
When Batreaux finally achieves his dream of becoming human, Kukiel will express disappointment that he no longer has "flappy bat wings."
|Names in Other Regions|
Concept art of Kukiel from Hyrule Historia
- "She has the unique ability to get along with anyone. I conjecture this is possible because she harbors no fear or suspicion of those around her." — Fi (Skyward Sword)
- "Hi, Link! This house belongs to Kukiel. Pssst--by the way, that's ME. I'm gonna go play with my special friend today! It's going to be so much fun!" — Kukiel (Skyward Sword)
- "Please, Link, won't you help me look for her? I've been looking everywhere, but I can't find her! I've asked everyone I could find for help, and a few people have said she's been spotted with some unknown person with a scary face. Someone else even said they thought they'd seen her carried off by a monster. A monster! She must have been kidnapped! She's so cute and friendly... Someone must have just walked off with her!" — Wryna (Skyward Sword)
- "What?! So there's a chance she was dragged off by a monster? Let's not be ridiculous here. This monster business is going a bit far. Oh... Now that you mention it, there's an old man who lives near here who's always ranting about hidden monsters here in Skyloft... Everyone knows he's a little loony, though, so no one takes him seriously." — Orielle (Skyward Sword)
- "You want to know where the old man is? I'd imagine he's at the Lumpy Pumpkin, to the east of here, as usual. You'll need to fly your bird there, of course!" — Orielle (Skyward Sword)
- "Well, you see... It was the dead of night. I hit the gravestone closest to the tree. The impact made the gravestone light right up! After that, I went to inspect the lit-up gravestone. When I pushed against the gravestone, the door to the storage shed next to it opened all on its own... And that's when I saw it! I saw the monster! It lives in the storage shed! I'm serious! You shouldn't go in there! If you do, don't say I didn't warn ya!" — Rusta (Skyward Sword)
- "Stop! Please! I beg of you... don't hurt me! Oh goodness, I know how bad this must look to you right now, but I assure you I mean no harm! We were just playing the scream-as-loud-as-you-can game!" — Batreaux (Skyward Sword)
- "Isn't that a fun game...? Oh, dear... Perhaps an explanation is in order! My name is Batreaux, and I am a monster who resides here in this humble dwelling below Skyloft. But please allow me to correct one popular misconception. While I'm certainly a monster, I wouldn't dream of terrorizing the people of this town! You see, this adorable little girl is the only one who didn't let loose a blood-curdling scream at the sight of me! Since she began to visit me here, I've felt positively jubilant! You see, my heart's only wish is to become friends with the lovely people of Skyloft. But as you can surely imagine, it has proven quite difficult to break the ice when they are struck with paralyzing fear at the mere sight of me!" — Batreaux (Skyward Sword)
- "Gratitude Crystals are quite amazing! Just looking at them and knowing there was such gratitude in the world could turn me from a monster into a human!" — Batreaux (Skyward Sword)
- "Uncle Bats told me he wants to see all the grabitude crackles he can! But how's he going to do that?" — Kukiel (Skyward Sword)
- "He's not a bad man! He saved me one time when I almost fell over the edge! And he lets me come here and scream as loud as I want!" — Kukiel (Skyward Sword)
- "Anyway, he said it was dangerous to go out alone at night, so I'll just hang out here for a while. Tell my mom I'll come home in the morning!" — Kukiel (Skyward Sword)
- "Huh? Uncle Bats is a human now? ...Awww, that's too bad. I liked his flappy bat wings..." — Kukiel (Skyward Sword)