Mad Batter official art
|Game(s)||A Link to the Past|
|Era||Era of Light and Dark|
Mad Batter is a creature seen in A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening. While his name is never mentioned in game, in The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening Player's Guide, he is referred to as the Mad Batter. As the Mad Batter's name implies, this creature appears to be a bat. He sleeps in altars found in underground caves, and Link may awaken him by sprinkling Magic Powder on the said alters. The bat creature is known for providing Link with upgrades to punish him for having been released, but he inadvertently helps Link out.
A Link to the Past
In A Link to the Past, his altar is found in a hole next to the Dwarven Swordsmiths' Smithery. The hole can only be reached by pounding the stake blocking the way with the Magic Hammer and jumping off a cliff into it. Once inside, Link can go north to an altar and sprinkle the Magic Powder. An angry bat will appear, and scold and thank Link for waking him. This confusing shift in his dialogue continues until he finally cast a spell on Link, halving his Magic Meter. In reality, this causes Link to consume half the magic power he normally would with pertaining items.
The "Mad Batter" shows up in three different locations throughout Link's Awakening: Mysterious Woods, Martha's Bay, and Tal Tal Heights. His altars are always found underground. The Mad Batter serves the same purpose wherever he is seen: to increase Link's inventory. This time, his altars look like lamps. When Link tosses Magic Powder on them, the creature appears in a ball of light form before taking a bat-like form. Upset about being awakened from his sleep, the Mad Batter speaks with the same mannerisms as he did in A Link to the Past. The Creature will triple Link's capacity for carrying Bombs and Arrows and double that of his Magic Powder, thinking he's troubling the hero by burdening him with more equipment. This time, Link has a choice of whether the creature "punishes" him or not, as the creature will ask "Are you ready?!" before he casts a spell. However, if Link answers "N-no", the Mad Batter will only change the option of what equipment he will increase.
- "Hey! Blast you for waking me from my deep, dark sleep! ...I mean, thanks a lot, sir! But now I will get my revenge on you. Get ready for it! ...Err, is that OK with you, sir?" — Mad Batter (A Link to the Past)
- "Heh heh heh! I laugh at your misfortune! Now your magic power will drop by one-half! Congratulations! Now, do you best, even though I'm sure it won't be enough! Have a nice day! See you!" — Mad Batter (A Link to the Past)
- "Outside the Smith's house near the village was a stake blocking a place where Link could jump into a well. Using the Magic Hammer, Link pounded the stake and jumped into the well. [...] In the well, Link sprinkled magic powder on a statue and a strange creature claimed to have reduced Link's magic power when he really had doubled it." (The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past Player's Guide (Nintendo of America, inc.), pg. 125)
- "Hey, Kid! You woke me up from a fine nap!! ...Thanks a lot! But now, I'll get my revenge! Are you ready?!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening)
- "Okay, I'll let you carry more bombs! He He He! Are you ready?!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening)
- "Fine, I'll let you have more arrows! Heh Heh! Are you ready?!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening)
- "I'll let you carry more Magic Powder! He He! Are you ready?!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening)
- "Heh heh heh! You deserve it! Now look at all that junk you have to carry! Hah! Take care! See you again!" — Mad Batter (Link's Awakening)
- "When you discover rooms that have single Lamps flanked by statues, get out your Magic Powder. It might not be dark inside, but lighting the Lamp makes things happen. This time, it wakes a cranky Bat who thinks he's going to punish you by making you carry more Magic Powder, Arrows or Bombs." (The Legend of Zelda - Link's Awakening Player's Guide (Nintendo of America, inc.), pg. 91)